Home General Discussion

Metal Gear Solid 4 !

Replies

• Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    On act 4 now and loving it. The production values on this game are through the roof. Nothing feels rushed or half-arsed. So far it's looking to be the best of the series.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Playing thru Act 5 now and WOW! What a great game. I have a feeling the end is approaching quickly now though, although there are at least 2 "bosses" I can think of that I still have to deal with before the end. I'm thoroughly impressed with this game though. At the beginning of Act 5 I marked it at 18 hours 38 minutes of game time. Not sure what the end count will be.

There are some great moments where the past is brought back up and it triggered memories for me of where I was and what I was doing when I first experienced them in the past. Most of this happens during Act 4.

The end of Act 4 though, if anything made me hope Kojima is doing a Zone of Enders in the near future for PS3 and can bring some of that game play along for the ride. I won't say anything more as to not spoil anything on that note, but WOW! :)

By the way did anyone locate an MK23? I found the suppressor for it but no MK23. :(

I Figure I'll complete the game sometime Sunday. Definitely will play thru it again. There's still the multi player as well that I've yet to play so that should be fun too. Maybe we can get some Polycount games going once enough people are done playing thru the single player portion.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    game takes control of your character when u can't figure out what to do...

cinematics are too long, writing is crappy, comic relief is terribly implemented, childish, unintelligent, confusing...

I'll probably "play" it through cuz the characters look pretty fucking phenomenal
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Just finished it, its fucking awesome :) They really uped the variety and complexity in this one. I got used to all the stuff i didn't really like, and eventually, understood the changes. It is definitely worth playing all the way through, god damn it was sweet :) That last area is hard as shit!

That ending cine is super long, probably the longest one of them all. If thats what people were complaining about... i dont quite understand the problem. You've beaten the game, and they give ya a long ending cine. Nothing different from final fantasy, or other games.

time for hard mode woooha!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The bit in Act 3 where... Well erm... I cant say as "such"... But theres a boat... And a knife... In a certain somebody...

Jesus...

I haven't beat it, but it ranks in my top, well, 1... Of all time amazing cinematic moments in games... So fucking touching, so amazing... A work of art, really...

I'm just lost for words? I never thought this medium would impact me on so many senses as this act did... I was amazed at the action, amazed at the detail, amazed at sadness... I haven't had thoughts like this since Final Fantasy VII, and I think this surpasses it...

For once...

I'm actually gonna bow down and say I was 100% wrong.

This game is, without a shadow of a doubt, a master piece. Thus far, nothing has touched it this generation, and I don't think anything ever will. The cry of "Otocon!!!" actually sent shivers down my spine...?

Breathtaking.

I almost don't want to go to sleep tonight, I dont want to turn it off. Like I said the last game that hit me in this way was FFVII, and by that time (Aeries death) I was already 5 games worth of play time in...

Fucking amazing... Really, really amazing... Beats any blockbuster I've seen in, well, ever...

Fuck...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i agree odium :) I'm still floored.

I just played through it by skipping every cinematic, codec convo, and mission briefing on easy (also beat it w/o using one ration, and killing less than 25 guys.. some you just cannot avoid, < 5 alert phases, but did use 1 continue stupid fucking mini gekko... bah, and ended up with 500k Drebin points though). Like previous metal gear games, it is a lot shorter when you skip the story. I want to try again on my normal difficulty save to see if its possible to get more awards once you complete it!

the tranq gun is amazing awesome, maybe it was just Easy mode though. Dudes never woke up from being asleep.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I'm doing my 2nd play through on Liquid Easy.
    Trying to go for no items used and no alerts phases. Trying to get all the extra garbage I missed, too.

I got the leopard award (among others) in my first play through. You get leopard if you try not to kill enemies but in turn have them totally kick your ass. Hahahaha

This is game is epic. Hands down.

I really hope they release some kind of "behind the scenes" special edition like they did with 2... where you can check out all the art assets.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Snake...? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!

metal-gear-solid-man-revealed.jpg

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    SouL wrote: »
    I'm doing my 2nd play through on Liquid Easy.
    Trying to go for no items used and no alerts phases. Trying to get all the extra garbage I missed, too.

I got the leopard award (among others) in my first play through. You get leopard if you try not to kill enemies but in turn have them totally kick your ass. Hahahaha

This is game is epic. Hands down.

I really hope they release some kind of "behind the scenes" special edition like they did with 2... where you can check out all the art assets.

haha I got a Panther, for being seen a lot, but killing everyone. I also got a "cow" for being seen a lot.

Surprisingly, my second easy-mode play through game me less awards than the full-on-watch-every-cine playthrough. I think I got 6-8 awards in the full playthrough, and only 3 in the super fast one :(

Is there any way to share the scores you get in-game with people? I love this shit, but i wish there was a way to see other people's scores & awards.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I got Hyena first time through. Massive looting spree.

MGS4 is perhaps the first game that I've been able to actually finish in a LONG time. I think the last one was Castlevania:Symphony of the Night (XBLive) & Castlevania:Aria of Sorrow on the GBA. And those were both at least a year ago.

GoW, meh.
    GTAIV, meh meh.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah. I got Hyena, too. For a while I was looting dead bodies in scenes where there were infinite spawns.

I'm only on act 2 with my 2nd play-through. No alerts and kills so far. Was scratching my head for a while on how to avoid getting an alert situation right before the first boss.
    If you're trying to go for no alerts, just hide under a bed, wait, and hit them with the tranquilizer. Solved! haha
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Yeah. I got Hyena, too. For a while I was looting dead bodies in scenes where there were infinite spawns.

I'm only on act 2 with my 2nd play-through. No alerts and kills so far. Was scratching my head for a while on how to avoid getting an alert situation right before the first boss.
    If you're trying to go for no alerts, just hide under a bed, wait, and hit them with the tranquilizer. Solved! haha

it gets super fucking hard to avoid alerts, especially in act 4. ugh, hate. I was able to hide where you're talkin about in the dressing room type area, and they just stupidly ran around the house.

I'm not sure if i got the hyena... i think i did, also got one @ collecting a majority of stuff, a pig, cow, eagle, puma, few others. My speed play through was Raven :(

I'm back to head-scratching to figure out how to get through 100% non-lethal... im not quite sure how to do it. There was one act i *swore* i didnt kill anyone, but still ended up with 11 kills.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, finished it recently as well. Pretty rad, but hard to recommend to anyone not a fan of the material. I still liked MGS 3 the best, since it had the better balance of storytelling to gameplay. And the final battle against The Boss in MGS 3 is the greatest boss fight of all timez.
    Fucking amazing production values though.
    BTW, I hear tell you should shake the Six Axis during Codec calls with Rose :P
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well I just beat it... And I can confirm the 90min thing. The last cutscene lasts 1 hour 5 mins, however the cutscene just before it (The last time you have control of the game) lasts 10mins. Not to mention a 10 min credits role.

So while it IS cheeky of them to say its 90mins, its near enough...
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    The game play itself is great! I just wish that i was actually paying for $60 worth of gameplay instead of $20 of gameplay and $40 worth of cutscenes. Wasn't really happy with the story, either. I don't think they wrapped it up in a reasonable fashion. The plot might have made a decent first draft, but they made it the real deal, and it just didn't work for me. That said, I'm playing through again trying to get no alerts, and skipping all the cutscenes - Much more entertaining.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey does anyone know if there are any shots of the wireframes of any of the characters, or any kind of actual process stuff of how their shit was done?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    rawkstar wrote: »
    hey does anyone know if there are any shots of the wireframes of any of the characters, or any kind of actual process stuff of how their shit was done?

Fuck. I'd love to see that.
    There are none that I know. I only know of one for MGS2.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    http://www.konami.jp/mgs4/jp/top.html

there is a "making of MGS4" link at the top... but i couldnt figure out how to make the images larger... uuugh. not sure if its a teaser or what. all i could find, pretty shitty though :P need a document of mgs4!
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    They used XSI for all their work, I know that much.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wow retarded site!!!! i hope this stuff is on the making of dvd...
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I've been taking my time with the title. I'm still somewhere in the second act. I got past the first boss. Not going to go into specifics to avoid spoilers, but I was quite pleased with that first boss fight.

I'm playing through on easy mode for my first time through. Partially because I just want to enjoy the story, and partially because I've always sucked at Metal Gear Solid's gameplay. I understand that reading the manual ahead of time can vastly improve your performance with the gameplay.
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWoID8o7FKo&amp;feature=PlayList&amp;p=0F7A8CAEC655A668&amp;index=53[/ame]

For those of us that have to wait, but love making of shite. Yoji Shinkawa is king.

Okay, I don't know how to post that link without it embedding... so fuck it, if you can get the link addy, all of the vids are on youtube... shittastik quality.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Geez. Everyone in that video looks so much older than your typical 20-something developer.
    I also like how modest their office is.

Is this what comes in the collector's edition disk?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    at act 4 now. it just keeps getting better. this game owns. still sticks to the 80-20 cut scene to gameplay ratio though. I don't mind, some might.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    got the scorpion award for just killing when needed and hardly ever get an alarm or die. That's strange, because I really killed 180 people and most of the time didn't bother sneaking.

I hate the endfight, but the end sequence is cool. DON'T stop when the credits begin!! DON'T!

overall I would give it a 8.5 of 10. The main game is 10 out of 10, but the bossfights are often boring and bad.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Shit, I knew there had to be something past the credits...

I didnt actually play the game but managed to catch the end boss battle and pre-credit cinematic .. Now I actually want to buy a ps3 and watch all the other cutscenes.. They are just absolutely flawless. I am still floored at all the artwork and the polished presentation.

Sometimes it felt like watching a prerendered movie... it's that good.

The most impressive technical and artistic achievement i've experienced, hands down.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Geez. Everyone in that video looks so much older than your typical 20-something developer.

Presumably because they only really interview and show the seniors... I doubt they'd interview the 10-odd guys who keyframed the lighting around the characters in each cutscene, they were probably fresh out of university :)
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I hate the endfight, but the end sequence is cool. DON'T stop when the credits begin!! DON'T!

overall I would give it a 8.5 of 10. The main game is 10 out of 10, but the bossfights are often boring and bad.

Really?? I've always found the boss fights to be the best part about MGS games. They're often unique and never boring to me.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I love how the lighting is being tweaked with a mere PS3 gamepad. No stupid mice nor keyboards. Win!

Played a little ... turns out that they *did* mess with the controls. I really miss circle as an attack, and the analog trigger not being used for fire is really confusing, I keep bringing up the inventory when I want to shoot.

I also find the layout of the first levels a bit confusing. MGS3 was thought as a topdown and then gave the 3rd person cam as a bonus which enhanced the experience, but here with MGS4 I feel like I cannot really see where I am going. I end up playing the game 1st person most of the time...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inchworm for me!!!!

yeah those credits were pretty intense... like 50 programmers, 2 dozen environment artists... welcome to next gen... i guess...
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    The last fight is immense. And by the end I was quite sad, no game has ever done that before - very impressive.

The models are so beautifully crafted, using the in-game viewer and looking around Snakes face/s is great. I'd love to see breakdowns of their characters.. hopefully something like that is on the Making Of.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    just finished chapter 4.

best game ever.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Guys make sure to check out the "Beauty and the Beast" womens photo shoot, it's both creepy and surreal at the same time! Not to mention you can get up close and really appreciate the modeling that went into these creations, top notch stuff: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1743.html
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Super wrote: »
    The last fight is immense. And by the end I was quite sad, no game has ever done that before - very impressive.

The models are so beautifully crafted, using the in-game viewer and looking around Snakes face/s is great. I'd love to see breakdowns of their characters.. hopefully something like that is on the Making Of.

I don't have a PS3 so I haven't played it but I'm really impressed with the character models as well as the metal gears themselves, so I'd love to see this, too. It's funny though, I think Snake's face is probably the least impressive, but still good. I remember reading that they wanted to make Snake look like Lee Van Cleef, but I guess they ended up making Ocelot look more like him. The hair on all the characters is also particularly good.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Still not played this game as I don't have a PS3 and won't for the forseeable future... Which is something that tortures me as I'm a great fan of the MGS series.

Honestly I think mgs4 will probably be remembered more for the outrageously impressive execution of characters than the gameplay itself. Every time I come across screenshots my jaw hits the floor.

Damn bastards found out my ultimate weakness for women with wavey streaks of hair hangin down their face (a la Naomi)... Being aroused by cg is making me feel uncomfortable :(
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    just beat it..
    holy shit. seriously. I cannot say enough good things about this game.

the graphics, the story, the acting, the voice acting, the gameplay. it's all flawless. I've never had a game impact me so deeply on an emotional level as well - that's where it shines the most.

I'm not even sure I would call this a game... it's well beyond that.

I encourage anyone that's remotely on the fence to go out and buy this immediately.

Fuck.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bounch, ever played MGS3 Subsistence? I am far from seeing the end of 4 but your description matches exactly what I had with 3 :P

As for the ones familiar with the series : don't you guys have a weird lukewarm feeling for that new episode? A t least at the beginning (I'm still in act1)

I loved how in the old ones there was a feeling of gradual progression - both on the gameplay side and the the storytelling/character development side. (like how Snake sounds like a dumb soldier at the beginning of mgs1 then becomes wise and aware of his own role, and how Raiden is a arrogant prick at first then starts to understand things in MGS2). Here it feels a bit thrown together : right from the early gameplay phases you are already crawling to avoid bullets and such. The game feels a bit claustrophobic too, which I think is a consequence of it being the first in the series not to be built with an angled top-down viewpoint in mind.

Also I don't know if it stays that way later but atm , even if I love MGS cutscenes in general here I find them missing the 'cool factor' they used to have. Alot of them could be turned into mere codec transmissions.

However, what a cool game hehe! Can't get enough of how everything looks great and fits in the world perfectly. Too many poojokes so far tho.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    pior wrote: »
    Bounch, ever played MGS3 Subsistence?

um.. yep.
    Here it feels a bit thrown together : right from the early gameplay phases you are already crawling to avoid bullets and such. The game feels a bit claustrophobic too, which I think is a consequence of it being the first in the series not to be built with an angled top-down viewpoint in mind.

this is not a factor later in the game at all. if you liked the other mgs's I can pretty much guarantee you will love this.
    Also I don't know if it stays that way later but atm , even if I love MGS cutscenes in general here I find them missing the 'cool factor' they used to have. Alot of them could be turned into mere codec transmissions.

no. they are fucking amazing. keep playing :)
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    act 3 was the crappest part of the game. half an hour of following some idiot about, and even if you know were you have to go, you've still got to follow him, a ten minute bike ride were you don't have to do much, and the easiest boss fight in the game, especially if you've already got the railgun from a previous playthrough.

at least i've got altair's outfit now
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Here's something fun:
    When you're in the 2nd stage of the boss fights... wait a bit until you get put in the blank environment (everything is white). Then pull out the camera and see what happens.
    Also... try equipping your ipod and putting on one of the songs from the hideochan 2.0 (or whatever it's called) album. I think it's the 2nd song on the list. Enjoy. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Marine I think I still don't get the point of that bossfight. I was like, huh okay, what about the RPG and BOOM win haha. But soon after that ...

Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4 Act4
    ACT FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!

Woo!!!

And on a less excited note ...
    how come I had no white 'fight' after Raging Beauty?
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    And on a less excited note ...
    how come I had no white 'fight' after Raging Beauty?

I think you have to defeat the bosses with tranqs/v-rings to get them to go into that.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    I sold my PS3 because of my moving for Japan T_____T ....
    noooooo......
    I'm gonna die now....
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Damn. seems like most of yall even beat the game already. Finally got the bundle and played 4 hours on it. It is awesome! Love how the cutscenes jus transitions smoothly right into gameplay. Graphics look stunning. Lighting, shadow, normal maps, all real time look awesome. The characters are done with nice and clean execution. The octocamo is the shiznit. Love playing around with the mark II tasing foos nuts. Feels like the best MGS so far. Im gonna take my sweet ol time playing thru this game.
  • seantree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seantree polycounter lvl 18
    Man, good to see someone mention it getting to you on an emotional level. I swear to you I choked up a few times in this shit. This title just oozes goodness. My only gripe, which was stated by someone else, was act 3. The early part was WEAK. My god I hated following that fool around. I just started playing through the earlier titles and damn MGS was on point for when it was released. Although now I'm used to mgs4 controls and it took a bit to get used to the old scheme again :/
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How awesome is this?
    Act V spoiler
    Mt Snake Rushmore Solid
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    heh.. finally beat the game. It was awesome. the end fight with liquid was so nicely done and epic. Great story, tying everything together.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

So snake doesnt die. I think he shouldve died and went out like a true lengendary hero with the ultimate sacrifice... what do you guys think?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for whoever asked, the Socom, is right where you find it the first time round.

oh, and the game is pimp to the max. act 4 makes me want to make love to my ps3.