Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning low poly...

Hello polycounters!

So, you guys seem to be the best of the best when it comes to this stuff so I'm here to try and learn the ropes and get better at the one thing I wanted to do 3d for in the first place.

I had an aborted attempt at the second Dominance War and I've done one other game model since, but this is my first go at something less than 6000:

spacekittenzlol.jpg

765 tris total, 523 without the helmet and oxygen tube and a 512x512 texture. Only started texturing the head so far.

It probably shows that I don't know what the hell I'm doing but hopefully I can use this thread to dump all my deformed little studies in and get some advice.

And I guess a 512 sheet is probably a little large for this polycount...?

Well, I'll try and update something over the weekend. Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    hey I think it's lookin pretty good man. I'd be interested in seeing the back wireframe though. 512 might be a little bit large for the res model, but I don't think it's excessive. Post the texture flat =)
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing a pretty good job texturing the head and the geometry looks pretty clean. From what I can see, you may want to throw in an extra quad on the back of the legs (like you have on the back of the elbow) so that if it were animated, the legs would deform backwards better.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    that texture is great! model looks ok too! you might need an extra loop around the shoulders for better deformation though. And i'd probably try texturing it with a 256 texture.
    could you post the flats?
    keep it up!
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good so far :D
  • bonzepeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex - Thanks! Here's a back view for you:

back45.jpg

And here's the flats, I've scaled down to 256 now and holds up fine by the looks of things. I guess I might have wasted a bit of space, though? It looked so compact in the unwrap window, but now... :poly138:.

flat.jpg

BrodyB - Cheers! Good call on the legs, I think I might have to throw a dirty rig in just to get an idea of where and how his legs work first and try that out. But definitely a good idea!

Japhir -
    Hey! I loved your King Zora, it's been sat in my inspiration folder for a little while now. I'll try dropping a loop in on the shoulder then, I think I was just being stubborn and trying to see how low I could keep it...

El Z0rR -
    Thanks a lot! :D

I'll try all your suggestions out after some feeding. Cheers again!
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I think it´s looking great so far!
    Japhir is right on the shoulder...you want the arm to move not the entire shoulder area so it helps if you put a loop in there to keep it´s form.

Poly distribution looks very good apart from the tube which has a bit too many loops for my taste.
    Keep going! :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking great, needs a load of creases in the clothing texture to take the eye away from the low poly shading