Home General Discussion

Recommended 3D Software

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    be vary, what you end up choosing willl decide on how good an artist you become!

Blender is a deadend, and its users can never work professionally!

Watch it, eld. Blender artists are a rabid bunch. Blender is also the backbone of open-source 3D modeling. The only reason more developers don't use it is because most game engines are designed with a specific software package in mind. (examples, Quake + 3DSMax, Source + SoftImage, Unreal + Maya) Besides, anyone who can navigate Blender's interface can handle any commercial 3D package with their eyes closed.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Watch it, eld. Blender artists are a rabid bunch. Blender is also the backbone of open-source 3D modeling. The only reason more developers don't use it is because most game engines are designed with a specific software package in mind. (examples, Quake + 3DSMax, Source + SoftImage, Unreal + Maya) Besides, anyone who can navigate Blender's interface can handle any commercial 3D package with their eyes closed.

Sorry, I was joking :), I'm the one at work who stuff blender into a modern console game pipeline. And it's still the main application I use, but learning other programs hasn't been hard.

blenderer since 96-97 sometime, can't remember when.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, facetious humor just doesn't come across very well in written form. I mainly got into Blender simply because of budgetary restraints. Now that my finances are improved, I'm seriously considering buying some commercial programs.

Although Blender has its own sculpting tools, it chokes if you throw too many polygons at it. I wouldn't mind laying down some money for some solid performance-friendly sculpting software. Silo 3D is the most wallet-happy package, but I wouldn't mind spending extra if it meant I got to throw around more polygons for less RAM. Someone with experience recommend a high-poly modeling package for me. If I save up for a month, I should be able to afford any of the usual suspects.

Also, I am intrigued by these recommendations I'm hearing for Truespace. I want to give that trial version a look-see.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes I leave smileys out just to stir things up, bad habit :)

I wouldn't use blender sculpt for heavy sculpting, but I wouldn't use anything like that in max or maya either, specialized tools for the win!

but I wouldn't unwrap anything in any program outside of blender.

asking for a 3dprogram recommendation is a bad idea, in most cases, one should be presented with a list that excludes the DON'Ts and just have the artist choose, since any tool can be learned at any time, but becoming a good artist is not as easy.

one thing to add, while I see people having maya and max crash on them around here, many times, Blender keeps on going without issues.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to spend money, but don't want to break the bank, you might consider settling for a modeling-centric program. These would be ZBrush, MudBox, or Silo 3D.

To add to that:
    XSI|Foundation version is in the same price range as Zbrush/Mudbox. It's fully featured for game artists, with Mental Ray rendering, animation, etc. So even a workflow consisting of XSI, Silo, Zbrush, would cost you much less than half of what you'd pay for one industry standard application. But this is only valid if you assume people pay for the software they're using anyway .
  • The Master Elite
    Indeed, zBrush is a dream program...its sculpting capabilities were fun to mess with, once I got the idea on how to use 'em...

...I am not as experienced w/ 3Ds Max as I'd like to be, but I've seen what others have done with it.

Just use the trials, find what suits you, and see if it fits your workflow well enough to be worth using...

I couldn't figure out XSI myself...but I can navigate in Blender pretty well...just can't make anytihng with it.

^>"<^
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoL, I can navigate blender pretty well also, but can't make anything with it. I'm having a blast in XSI so far.

Here are the first things I did in XSI over the last couple of days. I'm using I3D Tutorials to learn.

1483f3a985e694.gif

1483f3aa660dc6.gif

1483f3a981b042.gif

1483f3a983c699.gif

1483f3b987d546.gif

1483f3b98a2706.gif

1483f3c000f131.gif
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    If any of you are getting your hands into XSI I suggest visiting Vast.
    Vast is a pretty handy flash based tutorial site, covers a ton about xsi

http://www.vast.ws/resources/xsi/tutorials/tutorials.html
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, Rwolf! That has to be one of the biggest video tutorial repositories I've ever seen! and I love the narrator's British accent. If anyone wants to learn XSI, follow Rwolf's lead. Each of those tutorials is several minutes long, and there has to be at least a hundred of the things.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went there and saw all that, but if you go to the home page www.vast.ws it says the site is for students so I don't think we should have been given a link to that stuff.