Home General Discussion

will the next photoshoppee actually be awesome?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37611/140/

huge performance boost with gpu acceleration, rotatable canvas and the ability to paint on the surface of 3d models??

sounds pretty bad ass.

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    don't forget physics along side the gpu acceleration. the suggestion in irc was brush physics.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I am looking forward to this actually, and just from reading that little thing. I got CS3 from my school, and was indifferent, this however seems like an actual upgrade, and it's nice to see this integration of new technology. I'm not entirely sure how much Photoshop needed a physics engine, but I applaud them for the effort.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    ...rotatable canvas = sweet...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Physics? So paint dribbles down your canvas realistically? I can't image how else something like that would be used.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Every version of photoshop becomes slower and slower, and need more power machine and ram and more ram. All those features they talk are useless for me.

A real suggestion would be the ability to work smoothly with pencil radius of 1000 px, instant load, and stability. Perfomance, perfomance and perfomance, that's all what we need. 64 bits could sound cool but that does not mean perfomance as we all know.

The 3d features cs3 have are useless at all, and the "intelligent layers", something a few ppl use. It would be great to paint on 3d models (subdiv models too).
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have gone back top using photoshop 6 as I can do better hand painted stuff.
    CS3 is awful/slow and my airbrush doesn't work properly.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Didnt you read the article? It says it will be ALOT faster then previous versions. GPU acceleration is going to be great, finally! Gonna suck for mac users tho! HE HE
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    instant load, and stability.

Oh yes? And how would you propose someone programs an application to open a 200mb, 100 layer 2048x2048 PSD document instantly? Do you have some amazing code lying around somewhere?
    Data has to be read, you know...

As for stability, since CS2 was released I've used it pretty much every day for some fairly stressful/large documents, and I've only ever had about 3 crashes in the same number of years. In the world of software applications, Photoshop is actually pretty damn high on the list for good stability.

I know a lot of digital artists who have NEVER had Photoshop crash on them. Ever.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    anyone remember CS3's 3D paint? how awesome that was. or their first effors at their "brush-engine" years back. edgy paintstrokes. kewl. and that you now have even more camera support - like millions of models i'll never own. fixed screen colors that look nice on a mac where you can't customize anyway, not so nice on a dark windows theme. i really like how it sometimes locks up a few seconds when you choose another tool in CS3 OSX.

still on 7 at work, 5.5 at home. adobe, please go f*ck off and ruin something else, will you? :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I hate going back to PS7 after using CS2 now. The layer grouping/linking/generally doing things with multiple layers is pretty horrible.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    GPU acceleration sounds bitchin. If they can get this turned into a decent 3d painting app that would rule.

In cs2 when I open 200mb files they come up close to instantly but I'm also running a quad core with 4gb of ram on vista 64bit.

Thanks for the post Arsh.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I mean program loading man :D, one click, and photoshop instantly (err, like Modo?). Image loads are a thing of your computer, mine can load 4000px tga images in ms and i can't ask much in that sense. I also work with psd images of 300+mb, and my system loads them in seconds.

5.5 for illustration is like a charm, and PS7 is for me the best for all grounds of usage. Japanese illustrators and almost all the great illustrators i know work with ps5.5, they don't need more for their needs.

All programs have bugs, and stability issues, photoshop is a program with too many patches in all its versions. I'm good with it, but not as much like to be happy at all. To work with images of 20000px and see that you can't handle smoothly the same with a newer version of the program, is something awful. And more if you work with a Dual Xeon dual core of 3ghz and you don't get the expected for a version of a program. A new computer for each version? no thanks. Don't know if ppl have readed adobe's blog, but they talk about 32GB of ram for a test run... like all ppl could have that ¬¬

We can live without some features, but not without perfomance. Modo 302 brings a huge drop down of perfomance as example, and due that, i'm using 301 version. What are tiny features? imho nothing. As tools, you can adapt yourself and you won't need anymore to be happy. 2 useless features that forces you to buy new hardware? no thanks hehehe

look this, (only 500k polygons):
    modo_.jpg

With PS this is worse, and if you run with 3 years old machines, this is something very noticeable.

An example of improvement, Zbrush 3. Better than 2 in a 1700mhz with quadro fx 700 (agp 4x).
  • Super
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder what one would actually get should one download that warez Photoshop CS4.

Must resist urge to download mystery software.
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Rotating canvas alone would be enough for be to upgrade to the new version. A lot of features they have added over they years have been useless to me but that would be awesome. Leveraging the gpu and using it a for a new brush engine would be awesome if it really was fast and worked well. The other question is will there finally be a 64 bit version?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Didnt you read the article? It says it will be ALOT faster then previous versions. GPU acceleration is going to be great, finally! Gonna suck for mac users tho! HE HE

yes we mac users get enough fictional software already, thanks.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Japanese illustrators and almost all the great illustrators i know work with ps5.5, they don't need more for their needs.

to be brutally honest; not a single illustrator Japanese or otherwise, I know, uses photoshop for anything other than image manipulation. Everyone uses illustrator cs3.

theres a lot of wind in this thread for software that even the creators deny exist.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Super wrote: »

oh wow heh, that's....superb
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    to be brutally honest; not a single illustrator Japanese or otherwise, I know, uses photoshop for anything other than image manipulation. Everyone uses illustrator cs3.

theres a lot of wind in this thread for software that even the creators deny exist.

actually ive seen a beta of the new photoshop in a torrent site.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    CS3 left a bad taste in my mouth :(
    Here's hoping CS4 actually innovates on the series rather than douses it in a new coat of paint.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lol, is anyone actually reading this stuff or are they just posting replies by pulling facts and figures out of the air too?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bitmap: the beta's been reported on, and is just cs3 with a new splash-screen.
    http://cybernetnews.com/2008/03/04/adobe-photoshop-cs4-stonehenge/

edit: from the comments there:
    "Complete report:

So I got up the guts to download the CS4 floating around the network. The un-packing process was more than typical CS versions, but no biggie. With my antivirus progs on full blast, I scanned and re-scanned everything before opening the un-packed folders. So far so good, no viri or troj.

It has the typical Adobe Install .exe and the usual data folders for the install. Clicking on the Installer brings up what looks just like the CS3 installer, including a “CS3″ text logo but with CS4 in the title bar. Strike one..?

A couple typical questions later, it installs and thats it for that. I went to the install folder and found the Photoshop.exe file and began investigating the properties. I dropped it into my .exe Resource Tuner and PE Explorer. Both report that it is, in fact, signed by Adobe and is, in fact version 11.00. The date of the signature is November 2007, which sounds about right for when the rumors of CS4 got loud.

Opening the application brings up the alpha/beta picture, this one is a very cartoon-ish looking picture of Stonehenge. I selected to “Try for 30 days” during the initial screen. Loading time is extremely fast compared to CS2. My CS3 loads in 7-8 seconds, and this alpha/beta of CS4 loads in 4-5 seconds. Nice!!! The rest of it seems to be relatively unchanged.

One quickly noticeable difference is the “Layer Mask Density” slider bar. It only lights up when you have a layer mask selected, of course. It works alot like the opacity and fill, but I couldn’t make total sense of it.

I went through everything else, and so far couldn’t find any other new features. It does look better though. More of the bars/buttons/windows have rounded and beveled edges, making them nicer on the eyes.

Also, it seems faster in everything it does. Perhaps this is some of the better Vista coordination we heard about (I’m on Vista). This is definitely an alpha/beta though. One more thing I found was, during the window for Enter Serial or Try-for-30-days, there are the usual links at the bottom. One for “About Adobe Photoshop CS4″ and the license agreement link. Of course I just had to click the About CS4, and doing so took me to a “Welcome to the 30-day trial of CS2.” Weird huh..

So I’m still excited about CS4, but this alpha/beta is far from finished. It feels just like CS3 with a tune-up. I wouldn’t bother finding and downloading this version. I’m going to delete it after a few screenshots and stick to my CS3 until the real-deal finished product comes out.

-Jonathan
    "
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »
    lol, is anyone actually reading this stuff or are they just posting replies by pulling facts and figures out of the air too?

Probably about 70-80% of the people responding are doing this...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    65% of all statistics are made up.
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liar. It's 91.7269%!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    damn it I cant believe anything anymore..
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I hate going back to PS7 after using CS2 now. The layer grouping/linking/generally doing things with multiple layers is pretty horrible.

QFT I dunno how i got by without being able to select multiple layers.

And, to chime in on another mop post, i'm one of thoe guys who's never had PS crash since the CS suite came about. The worst I've got is issues with the cintiq drivers that required a restart to resolve...but hardly a crash.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i heard they're integrating SSS into cs4. SWEET!
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Adobe needs to make the Color picker window stay open while I paint. You'd think that would be easy.

(if anyone knows a trick about that.. sweet)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you don't have an alt key?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Come ooooon Hawky.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Swampbug: usually you can just Keep a palette window open, (small canvas to use like a normal artist palette) or put splotches or small gradients in the spaces you aren't using.

or here
    http://www.worqx.com/color/images/shade-tint-wheel.jpg
    keep that open. :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Or you could use the Swatches tab. I usually keep the Color tab open on the right, set to HSB sliders, with the gradient as "current colours" (to get a nice gradient between foreground/background - you can find some nice colours that way).
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Mop. I hadn't played with the options for that floater. That setup makes it really useful.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i think what swampy meant was something like Painter's color picker. The HSB sliders are nice, but are slow.

I'm excited if it really boosts performance when working with large files. Working on 2x 2048's with tons of layers really gets chuggy. Saving quick tgas becomes a 3-5 second ordeal at times. However, you can't get too excited when they just say they're working on some 8mp image @ 442 dpi. What matters is what is contained in the psd, not the core dimensions of the image. I've recently started using smart groups a bit more as well, and if the performance is also boosted while using those in addition to multiple laters... awesome.

importing 3d models isn't impressive either, its in CS3. Making the feature not completely worthless... that'd be impressive :)

@ pea: omg... if there was a mask density slider, id be in love.

Lets just hope they fix the #@#$@% issue with focus on multiple documents, that has seriously bitten me in the ass multiple times. Makes me want to shoot a panda.

//edit: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/05/oct_1.html the plot thickens
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh god, yeah moose ... sometimes i close a ref image and it prompts me to save, and i don't look too closely at the file name and click "no" ... then BOOM it closes your main working PSD. Nice. That's the one issue I have with CS2 which keeps on popping up for no apparent reason, and I keep forgetting about it :(
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh god, yeah moose ... sometimes i close a ref image and it prompts me to save, and i don't look too closely at the file name and click "no" ... then BOOM it closes your main working PSD. Nice. That's the one issue I have with CS2 which keeps on popping up for no apparent reason, and I keep forgetting about it :(

yeah this is just horseshit. Bit me last night. I am going to hunt for an autosave plugin tonight.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    I wish Adobe would stop doing all of these "useful upgrades" and give us give us some basics that every artists needs.

Like previously said a color wheel and even a place to mix our colors like in Corel Painter.

Upgrade Away, I say! but throw in a color wheel or I will never upgrade from CS2.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe it's just me, but I always found that Painter "mixing palette" fairly gimmicky. I played around with it for a while but always ended up going back to the colour wheel, it's just more precise and faster to get the exact colour you want.
    A colour wheel in PS would be nice... I find HSB sliders are the fastest for me at the moment anyway.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    speaking of sliders! You guys should give CMYK sliders a go. It gives some very sweet blends of colors.

Also if you ever get issues finding saturated light tones for skies and such - open up the color picker, switch to Lab mode all the way up to white and shift from there. It gives great sky colors.

And yeah a painter triangle picker would be a great complimentary tool to the current picker.

Color blend can be a nice gimmick ... but I don't know if Adobe even consider color blending/wet pigments any time in the future?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    i think what swampy meant was something like Painter's color picker. The HSB sliders are nice, but are slow.

I'm excited if it really boosts performance when working with large files. Working on 2x 2048's with tons of layers really gets chuggy. Saving quick tgas becomes a 3-5 second ordeal at times. However, you can't get too excited when they just say they're working on some 8mp image @ 442 dpi. What matters is what is contained in the psd, not the core dimensions of the image. I've recently started using smart groups a bit more as well, and if the performance is also boosted while using those in addition to multiple laters... awesome.

importing 3d models isn't impressive either, its in CS3. Making the feature not completely worthless... that'd be impressive :)

@ pea: omg... if there was a mask density slider, id be in love.

Lets just hope they fix the #@#$@% issue with focus on multiple documents, that has seriously bitten me in the ass multiple times. Makes me want to shoot a panda.

you guys are still talking about it like it's real.

coffee + face