Home General Discussion

Recommended 3D Software

Alright here it is. I've been learning Blender for a while now and can do some basic things with it, but I just feel like the program itself is hindering my learning abilities. I downloaded SILO and in about 30 seconds of playing around felt like it was better than learning in Blender.

I commend the guys at the Blender Foundation for all the work they've done, and the Blender community is the best. There are alot of great tutorials out there and some nice sites dedicated to helping people learn.

While I was impressed with SILO, I'm not impressed with the community at all. I had the hardest time finding any tutorials at all.

I tried Maya's PLE version but I can't stand those stupid watermarks.

What suggestions do you guys have for a 3D program that's easy to learn and a good one to learn on that will take me to a higher level of quality art.

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    JesseMoody wrote: »
    3dsmax

Quoted For Truth
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Cody wrote: »
    Quoted For Truth
    yes plz
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    cinema 4d, just for the left field choice

it's a bit more intuitive to pick up anyway. Max took me a long time, cinema 4d took about 3 days and it feature packed, and very very very stable (compared)

Like max, they make feature films with cinema 4d (the golden compass etc). bodypaint (included) is frikken awesome
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    I can personally recommend 3ds max, or xsi. lol when i was using maya PLE i started seeing thought the watermark so much that i forgot that it was there till people would point it out. :) I personally learned on Lightwave3D but I cant really recommend it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    If you want a program that doesn't hinder your progress, try the XSI Mod Tool.

If anyone recommends Cinema4D to you, just assume they're on drugs.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I downloaded XSI Essentials and it seems really confusing just to do simple stuff like extruding/rotating/translating ect.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    maya.....

...if you can learn that then your sorted, cos its sooooo un-intuitive everythingelse will be a breeze
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    XSI and Maya are like twins to me. Pretty much everything that annoying me in one the other has the same, and very similar strenghts.

I'm not sure though about your opening statement though, all these software packages take a bit to get used to so I'm a bit lost there. If you can deal with blender dealing with XSI, Max or Maya should be easy. It takes time and you'll have to read the tutorials that come with the program to get the basics down.

There are plenty of video tutorials out there for each, so just get your hand dirty and get ready for needing lots of patience and take breaks if you are about to start breaking things.

Silo can be plenty annoying as well.

Alex

If you want to do modeling and quick easy not need for texture editor on steroids. Max

If you are looking to do some heavy work with shaders and want control over every lttle thing with no automation needed, XSI or Maya. In you are into scripting those as well.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    I can vouch for xsi mod tool and Maya, both are excelent.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I recommend <personal favorite>. Anyone telling you to go to <any other app> is a penis face
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    jeramy79 wrote: »
    I downloaded XSI Essentials and it seems really confusing just to do simple stuff like extruding/rotating/translating ect.

really?
    x - scale
    c - rotate
    v - translate
    ctrl-d to extrude a selected face or right click and select extrude.

XSI I found has the best interface out of xsi, maya, max, blender. hell you can even set it up so the shortcuts are similar to max or maya.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    leilei wrote: »
    I recommend <personal favorite>. Anyone telling you to go to <any other app> is a penis face

Because cool girls like penis i recommend Modo, its fast, intuitive and comes with a lot totally handy
    stuff, like sculpting and 3D painting.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the real answer? whatever program you feel most comfortable with, they all have demos available and "cough cough" extended demos.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like as good a time as any to mention Silo again - the updated UV tools in the latest beta are great, and they've been working on a new version of the topology tool. Watch the video here:

http://www.silo3d.com/users/Feed/files/surfacetoolpreview.mov

Of course, it has no animation or rendering, but I built about 1/2 my GTA 4 models in it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll toss my 3 cents in for Silo also. Great modeling tool the only problem you might run into is that some studios might not use it. I suggest getting comfortable with Max and Maya so you're more marketable. But I really think as far as superior modeling tools go, Silo is king.

I've been learning Maya in my spare time and I have to say, for animation and dynamic simulations its great, but for modeling, I find it lacking a lot of features.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »

You're just upset because another Blender user has come to their senses.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    If you want a job in games, I'd suggest learning 3d studio Max as it's the most used application in that industry. It isn't the best program out there, in my opinion, but the most widely used.

Secondary to that would be Maya, since it's used the most in games after Max, and used in movies a lot.

After that is XSI, which is my program of choice but isn't something I'd recommend until you've mastered Max or Maya first. If you just want to do 3d just as a hobby, I'd go with XSI.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Max was the easiest for me to pick up, and from everything I've used it's by far the easiest and most intuitive to model in (I haven't tried Cinema 4D). Silo was pretty cool too for it's excellent price and sculpting features, retopology tools and the like, but was a little harder to pick up at first.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    You're just upset because another Blender user has come to their senses.

They must be doing it wrong if it can only do 'basic' stuff
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Or, they know their target market. A modeling tool doesn't need to have an amazing renderer, or awesome particle system. It does modeling, and it does it really well, and it's cheap.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    If anyone recommends Cinema4D to you, just assume they're on drugs.

lol I use Cinema4D at work and it is really good for small design studios but I wouldnt recommend it for making game art. Pros: The tools are good and fast and the simple soft shadow raytracing is really fast compared to competition. Cons: The viewport renderer isnt great and the advanced render GI and AO are quite slow and more often than not they result in crazy flickering in any animation.

I use 3dsmax for game art.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Notepad and calculator :nerd:
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I personally recommend...XSI/Maya or Max...but finger with all of them first...
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing with blender is that I don't feel like it does what I'm telling it to do very well. In that, I mean that I felt like the views were really screwing me up in the way it handles 3D space when extruding and placing of vertices/edges/faces. I felt like the 3D space part of it was just off. I thought blender was the greatest thing on earth at first, because it was the first and only 3D program I tried. Then for some strange reason I decided to take a look at SILO. I fooled around with it for about 30 seconds and was able to actually to create a decent looking model. It just felt great. Where I placed my vertices or edges was exactly where they ended up. Unlike Blender where you place your vertice or edge in one view then have to go through all your other views to make sure it's aligned right. Now I know that in any program you're going to have to do some touching up, but SILO had it pretty right on and I was only using the default view. I might sound completely ignorant and retarted to most of you right now, but I'm sure someone has to know what I'm talking about.

I would stick with SILO for a while, but the community seems to be seriously lacking and I really need a strong community. I'm no where near a good artist. Matter of fact I'm not much of an artist at all, but I have a strong desire to learn and just want to make sure I start off on the correct foot. I feel like Blender did help me to learn about the basic concepts and the reasons why 3D components work and how to make them work, but I've still got a long way to go.

I'm not worried about the animation or material aspect of the 3D programs yet. Just the actual modelling part.

This is the reason why I asked the question that's probably been asked on this forum 100 gazillion gabillion times. I'm not necessarily looking for the program that's going to land me a job later on, but a program that will allow me to grow to the point where I eventually can use the programs that will land me that job when I'm as good as you guys. I know people say if you can learn Blender than you are doing just fine, but sometimes certain programs just don't fit certain people.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Here's another vote for XSI here
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Unlike Blender where you place your vertice or edge in one view then have to go through all your other views to make sure it's aligned right. Now I know that in any program you're going to have to do some touching up, but SILO had it pretty right on and I was only using the default view. I might sound completely ignorant and retarted to most of you right now, but I'm sure someone has to know what I'm talking about.

Go for it then! If it feels good it's all good. I completely understand what you mean and I think that's the most important area on which the heavier 3d apps need to focus on. I think what felt so good about Silo for you is a couple of simple yet important things : raycast selection (what you click on gets selected indeed - not some stupid vertex at the back of the model) and screen space component manipulation. These two things are absent or rather tricky to setup in Max and Maya, yet Silo has them just right.

Maybe just keep an eye on Max and/or Maya as you will need them at some point for exports and such, also there will be some jargon you need to know. However if you become badass in Silo I don't see why a company wouldn't take the time to train you at another app if they want you badly. But by then you will likely have experience in either of the two.

Best luck to you!
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so I redownloaded the XSI trial, and have purchased the intro to XSI tutorial from ID3tutorials.com. I'll let yall know how it is if anyone is interested.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I know that most of you guys are professionals and don't really have time for noobs. Just the fact that yall will respond without flaming here is one of the reasons I love the polycount community so much.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing with blender is that I don't feel like it does what I'm telling it to do very well. In that, I mean that I felt like the views were really screwing me up in the way it handles 3D space when extruding and placing of vertices/edges/faces. I felt like the 3D space part of it was just off.

X, Y, Z, and even number keys help
    it also helps to split the viewports to display other views, yes you can do that
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I know about all that stuff for Blender.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    This site has some nice tutorials that can help get started with XSI. The way you have to download things suck but for the most part they are worth the wait.

http://www.3d-palace.com/

Heh I forgot this one shows everything, like reading a manual....

http://www.vast.ws/resources/xsi/tutorials/tutorials.html
  • RSX
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    actually I would recommend 3dsmax for game art, its got you best positioned in the industry as a viable tool. I don't cliam to know it inside out but found it incredibly easy to model with.

also max, maya and xsi are the only ones out there that support cg shaders for games.

however cinema 4d does have the same if not better low poly tools, enough to rival silo & modo, along with animation and a strong particle / hair / cloth / physics system. If you've ever used flash, photoshop or anything else that has a pervasive visual hierarchy, cinema 4d will be a breeze.

(visual hierarchy example)
    2397497983_f85468aa64.jpg

also, its a fair whack cheaper if you ever buy-to-try. Cinema 4d is only 800 euros and comes in 7 languages, max is still bizarrely 5000 euros and comes in 3 languages. I've tricked companies into licensing me both, over the years. The max manual in hard copy is a god send, although they have done away with it in recent years.

I guess cinema 4d is best suited to the freelance / designer / web designer types at the end of the day. 3ds max is probably the best documented software but can also be highly confusing to the novice. But would set you best for the games industry.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving XSI. It's so much easier to get things to look exactly like you want them than Blender.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Modo, Modo, Modo and Modo. Model, Paint, sculpt, and Render. It's a next gen 3d program, or something similar...

I was a Max user, i played a lot of time with xsi (years), maya and blehh... Modo do all what i need without efforts and in the fastest way. You only need to read the pdf included, and watch videos and more video tutorials.

I don't use another thing, only Modo ^^
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Things are going great with XSI so far. The only thing I don't like right now is the rotation of the camera view. Is there a way to set the camera to rotate around the object instead of the plane. I'm talking about the rotation when you hit the S key and RMB.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    hit f to focus on a selected object and that becomes the camera's target thus it rotates around that point.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SWEET!!!

I'm so glad I asked this forum about recommended software. I almost gave up on 3D Art because I was so frustraited with Blender. XSI has really turned that around for me. I keep finding myself daydreaming of models to create and how I can go about doing them in XSI.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad you like it. XSI and Silo are a good combination btw. Work with them both, and you'll have an easy time creating whatever your mind cooks up. But, as was mentioned before, it's to your advantage to gain an understanding of most of the available software used today.
  • the_podman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_podman polycounter lvl 17
    The only reason why I would recommend Max or Maya as a "Modeler", is because they have "bones", and once you've got used to skinning, you can exploit this knowledge to speed up modeling. It's quicker than FFDs/Lattices for making proportion adjustments.

If your on a budget, Silo for modeling and you can use Blender for rigging.

Also, I agree that if you learn Maya, going to any other app will be a breeze.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    It depends ....There are a million threads dedicated to this but here's my 2 cents.

There isn't exactly a correct answer. Each has it's strengths. I know both Maya and 3dsmax well though so here are a couple reasons I use one or the other.

Maya:
    the good- visibility. I love maya for it's scene information. At any time I can EASILY find link parent etc anything. There are no hidden nodes in Maya. This is a strength for certain. I also find organic modeling quite pleasant. The custom scripting and customizable interface is rad.

the bad- rigging is a bit complicated if you're not aware of the technical constraints that maya will let you do when you really shouldn't. Such as joints rotating incorrectly. Not to mention setting up IK and FK or more complicated rigs.

3dsmax-
    the good- Character Studios is the bees knees. It is so easy to implement and animate with. I recommend it if you're rigging bipeds regularly. Animating in 3dsmax has surpassed maya as well.

the bad- visibility. It's not fun grouping objects and finding missing textures in 3dsmax. There's a lot happening behind the scenes you dont know about. There are ways to do some of these things in here but it might involve 5 different windows.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what any of that stuff is you're talking about. Nodes, Organic Modeling, Rigging, IK, FK, Character Stuidos and Bipeds? What is all that? I mean definition wise not just acronyms.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    be vary, what you end up choosing willl decide on how good an artist you become!

Blender is a deadend, and its users can never work professionally!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know what any of that stuff is you're talking about. Nodes, Organic Modeling, Rigging, IK, FK, Character Stuidos and Bipeds? What is all that? I mean definition wise not just acronyms.

Nodes: similar to xsi's material editor, which uses a nodes setup as well

Organic Modeling: think organics, humans animals, etc

Rigging: attaching a mesh to a skeleton

IK: Inverse Kinematics. Move the hand and the upper and lower arm move accordingly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_kinematics)

FK: forward Kinematics. Move the shoulder and the arm moves alongside. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_kinematics)

Character Studio: A quick setup for animating a humanoid within 3dsmax

Biped: a bipedal character such as a human. biped = 2 feet. quadraped = 4 feet.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Character studio is a tool that let you deform objects like a human does for example. Rigging is the process of attaching a model to a set of objects that act like bones, to deform the object. Character studio is Max way of doing what in XSI can be done with the biped guides and the animation mixer. When you get used to modeling in XSI you can look into weight maps and the biped guide. If you go to vast website, it the link I gave you, has examples of this stuff in the animation section. The rest of your questions are better answered by watching those videos, since it gives example. A biped is a system of objects(rig) that has been already setup, that mimics that way humans move. You can find some in XSI.

Alex
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    XSI ftw. Its modeling tools and speed far surpass maya and max.
  • The Master Elite
    I just thought I'd throw in a tool that isn't widely known but thus far has been my personal favorite for modeling: Caligari TrueSpace.

...don't know if anyone here has heard of it, but I have spent a good year messing with the trial and haven't looked back. Animation may not be as powerful as Max though, but as others stated above, its a matter of what suits you.

Use the Trial, Luke...

THE MASTER ELITE
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Damn yeah! Learned threedee with trueSpace2. On a floppy!
    Such sweet memories. The booleans were quite powerful in there! I remember doing whole vehicles with just that! And then came trueSpace3, with metaballs!
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    If you want your software free...Blender. There is no other full-featured package like it that can be downloaded, modified, or extended free of charge. It is easily the most robust 3D package for no money.

If you want to spend money, and you want all the features, you will have to go for one of the big 3. SoftImage XSI, Maya 3D, or 3D Studio Max. Of those three, 3DSMax is the most industry-standard for game development, and SoftImage is probably the best for more high-end CGI work. I know there are trial versions for SoftImage and Maya, so give those a look-see before making a choice. These are all pricey programs.

If you want to spend money, but don't want to break the bank, you might consider settling for a modeling-centric program. These would be ZBrush, MudBox, or Silo 3D. All of these are going to run you much, much less than the big-name packages, and you can use them to produce some very detailed models. The downside is that there are many features that you won't be able to enjoy. Most noticeably, I don't think any of these packages supports animation. I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure these packages focus on pure modeling. Most of them feature decent support for exporting your models into formats that would be more friendly for games. (obj, 3ds, etc...)

If you want a compromise between free and commercial, your best bet is probably the SoftImage XSI Mod Tool. (ver 6) This is a very nice package that provides a lot of the features available in the full version of SoftImage XSI. At the same time, it streamlines the interface for game modeling, and makes learning how to do low-poly modeling in SoftImage fairly easy. It also provides all of the tools you need for constructing, texturing, animating, and exporting models. It even has packages available for exporting finished models into various game engines. (it is the default tool for making Source-Engine models) I've only used it a little bit, but I highly recommend it if you want to make game models.