Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

environment that needs feedback

looking for some constructive critism on a wip sci-fi environment.

I'll leave the description short, let me know what you think.

a_enviro01.jpg
a_enviro02.jpg
a_enviro03.jpg

Replies

• Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Bigger images(or at least links to them), wireframes and polycounts please. And what is it supposed to be, especially those chambers in the top images.
  • kinikuR6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall the images are looking cool. I agree with oglemeanimations about bigger images and more info in general. Not sure if I suppose to be looking at next gen environments or just cutscene stuff.

The lighting in the bottom image is really nice. Not sure what the green pods are suppose to be but you have me intrigued.
  • joshvito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglemeanimations, I was going for algae cover holding tanks. Here are some slightly larger images. The ideation is that this is a floor on a spaceship, i would call it a industrial/cargo level. The tanks would be for shipping live water/liquid based life forms.
    the whole level is 215850 tris. the tanks occupy 1/4 of the level.

kinikuR6, that 3rd shot in the first post is through the glass on the lift in the center of the level

a_enviro04.jpg

a_enviro05.jpg

a_enviro06.jpg

a_enviro07.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty cool so far.

Crits:
    - The glass shader needs work. It looks like you're using a map for the reflection? The reflection doesn't seem to match the environment around it? Think about rendering out a cube/envrio map and use that.
    - The inside of the tank(s) is pretty nasty but the fish and the water look kind of clean?
    - The lighting could use a lot of work. Think about making the tanks glow, or faking the bounce lighting they would produce. It helps me to work on the lighting in passes. Ambient, key lights and then bounce lighting.
    - The overall light level needs to be bumped down, and the color of the lights adjusted to reflect some kind of mood. White = insanity or clinical, think about what this room does, what kind of lights you can use to convey that meaning and use the tanks for all they are worth.
    - I think you could optimize some of the pipes and beams. The overall poly count seems kind of high and I'm not really sure where it all went?

Keep at it, you're on a good path!
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I would lower the value of your primary lights you are using to light the scene so you can get some better contrast and atmosphere.. seems a little flat and even. Every light should have a VISIBLE source. Textures could use some dirt and grime as well but good start.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe it's just me, but from here the texture on those tanks reads more like oxidized copper than algae covered tanks. Might wanna grab some ref of algae on fish tanks and take a second pass at it.
  • joshvito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks all, your feedback/critque is extremly valuable. can't wait to edit and show it!
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    i personally think this scene is lacking a lot of lighting. a cool idea but i think there should be really dramatic shadows in places. ambient occ pass would quickly start pulling everything together. also agree with taking another pass on the tanks. the texture on it seems scaled out of place. like it should be scaled down some. over all though a cool scene just keep at it and it will be awesome.
  • joshvito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some updated renders. I took your advice and overhauled the tank glass texture, and also changed up the lighting.
    please let me know if the renders are too dark, the left side is straight from max, and the right side is after a little post level tu.

my lcd is mega bright, even with brightness on 0, lol. so please give me feedback on the scene and the contrast in the renders. thx

b_env01.jpg

b_env02.jpg
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    i like those top to. really like the one on the right as there isnt super darks but still dark. better lighting. so these tanks are supposed to be clear? and thats green stuff floating inside of clear liquid?
  • joshvito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was going for water filled glass tanks that haven't been cleaned in a while. so i made some algae like sstuff and composited it with a glass texture and a water texture with a composite material. is there a better way to get what i am looking for. i've been staring at them so long, i'm not sure what they look like anymore, ugh
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i have total dejavue seeing this, totally reminds me of golden eye, where you meet 006 ^^
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks a lot better, nice work.