Home Technical Talk

Gmax in Quake 3

Right now I'm messing around with it, but is there much out there that is better and at the same time free. My models are all going to stay around 1200polys and at the same time I'm going to be working with a few people used to working with Maya and other high end tools.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't XSI have an edu version? I hear it's pretty good.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    and of course the classic freeware app blender,- I am sure that many specific quake3 plugins are already available as pyton script for it.

XSI is a graet package,- but I am somewhat doubt that it has all the export/ import support oter famous packages for gamedev have. Perhaps you need to run some xtra tools to get it into the format you need.

Milkshape (shareware available) seems to have an impressive list of supported export and import file formats- maybe give it a try as well.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    wings3d

they also hint to it and there is md3 import/export plugin
    http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Modelling/Wings3D
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    renderhjs wrote: »
    and of course the classic freeware app blender,- I am sure that many specific quake3 plugins are already available as pyton script for it..
    They are.

@ ThunderSnake : your best bet is Blender as it's got the most fully featured MD3 import/export scripts now, mainly down to the extended work the guys on the Open Arena project have put into it.

I've got some legacy info on my tools page here, but you'll be directed to the AO wiki anyway.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    XSI Mod Tool will give you all that you need with nice features and free. while it easily exports to more current engines, there is no MD3 export for XSI. blender could possibly be used as an converter. you don't want to hinder yourself using blender for all aspects of 3d.

Gmax is far out of date, and even buggier than current versions of Max.
  • ThunderSnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool, thanks guys. I'm trying to work with a few guys from SF academy of art, and from talking to them they sounded like they use a lot of maya and are kinda snobs about it. The project as a whole is suposed to be about learning, so I'm going to go with blender for now, and if they dont like it then I will be looking for some other people.