Home General Discussion

im not worthy!

omg this site... its soo pro, i'm a rediculasly amature modeler thats been doing it for a little over like 2 months, lol and this site.. its full of crazy good people... i guess i'm about to start making a making a crazy amature game with some people on a pre-made game engine type deal, and yer i was wondering if maybe if i could pretty please maybe ask a question from time (ill try to restrain my self as much as possible) to help me and my small insignificant game along cos i'm really focused on breaking into this industry and i'm trying to get as much help as possible, but 1st question, what program do u guys mainly use for modeling im using a old unheard of modeling program called ac3d, which i doubt you've even heard (ps i already got 3dsm, rhino and a fairly decent list of modeling programs)

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Well uh, you were probably better off without everything but the question. The block of text there is probably going to turn some people away from this thread.

but to answer your question, a lot of people here including myself use 3d Studio Max. Other popular programs include Maya, XSI, Modo, Silo, Lightwave, and some like using Blender 3d (it's free!)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah... way to show some self confidence there.

and if you have no idea what software to even use, you probably should put ideas of making a game on hold for a while.

learn then make
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I smell an army of cats coming.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    funny-pictures-kitten-makes-head-explode-cuteness.jpg

Slum made me do it.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    You'd better start figuring out the software pipeline and code you and your team are going to use before actually asking for advice.

on a side note:

That image opened the floodgates.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i typed a long helpful post because i have some sympathy for those who have yet to discover the wonders of google. then , in the chaos of my multi-tasking during works hours, accidentally hit a button that cleared it. i would retype it, but i wasted enough time reading your pathetic post LOOKING for the question, since you forget the simple concept of a question mark.

the moral: less words, more point.

welcome to polycount. enjoy the cats.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And people wonder why start-ups go under? Almost forgot...

My dad was fond of telling us, "wish in one hand and spit in the other, which gets full faster?"
    I read your post and I see a handful of wishes and I'm not won over.

I think you're better off spending your time working on some kind of marketable skill that can get you in and forgetting about starting something from scratch. That alone takes an entirely different skill set that directly conflicts with your primary goal. It's just going to be a boat anchor dragging you down.

Find your discipline, practice it and stick with it THEN look to put those skills to use. You'll be MUCH more useful to every type of team if you know what you're doing first.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geez guys relax. The kid just needs some punctuation.

cycras, don't let this deter you. Ask any questions you like. But please make it easier to read, OK?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    what the hell am I supposed to do with this hand full of spit now?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your avatar's already doing it

eewww
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my spidey sense in tinginling. i predict a cat thread coming
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some one already mentioned it Bitmap...

I think he's gone guys.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I use modo, ees nice.

There are other threads on what people use, you might want to use the search function for more info. You'll find a lot of useful information with it that has already been discussed.

Welcome to polycount, I hope you learn a lot here. Dont take peoples comments too seriously, this place can be a minefield of immaturity.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, just search and you shall find.

And yeah Polycount is full of smart asses...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    speaking of smart asses...

200705081558-pix1.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Everyone here became "pro" by starting as a noob, whether they admit it or not.

learn how to model in 3ds Max/Maya/XSI (pick one) and figure out how to export it to a format that your engine will read and load. Work with your programmer buddies.

understand you will fail 3-4 times before you succeed, but that failing to make an awesome game on your first try does not mean you will always fail.

Always shoot to better yourself - aim to beat the professionals, not your fellow students. It is a long slow process to learn, and do not get discouraged by comparing your work to that of professionals - focus on personal growth. Looking back a year later at older work you will be amazed at how much you have grown. Avoid the trap of comparing yourself to people worse than you to make yourself feel better about your current/past accomplishments - this stagnates your personal growth.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    eric : no words how i lold.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    20030707.jpg

I use Max. Almost all the same principles on mesh creation and texturing apply to every program. User interface for each program is whole other beast....

Quickest way to earn respect and not be considered 'amateur': punctuation. Type intelligently and you get intelligent answers. It is exhausting to read your post. There are no breaks, just one constant stream of meandering thoughts.

And really, don't go spouting you have all these programs.. that's just calling attention to your download habits.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17