Home General Discussion

Congrats to Ryan, Creator of Crazy Bump

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
CrazyBump is out of Beta!

http://crazybump.com/buy.html

Ryan, thank you for CrazyBump, man, and your Technical Support.
Congratulations to Ryan for gett'n PAID! ;)

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    agreed! Thanks Ryan :D Without the development of CrazyBump we'd be forced to use the photoshop plug-in for our Normal needs.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    dammit i have to buy it now:)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    O noes.

Looks for torrents

lol j/k

grats man, we've been leeching of your genius for too long.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Finally, congrats....it's worth a pretty penny now that's official.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    thanks for including a personal edition man. Hope you do really well with this.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Ryan! Crazy Bump is awesome, bout time you got some money for it.

I'll have to give it a buy when I get some monies. :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! I think every artist here at Raven has been using the beta. You're going to get rich Ryan. And you deserve every penny!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ryan,

I can't express how awesome this has been helping you develop this awesome program, tool, utility along the way.

It has saved me so much time with everything. I'm gonna be pitching it to hopefully get a good number of licenses for our guys at work.

All this hard work you have done on this and dedication has really shown. I hope you are now able to reap the rewards from it and take a much needed vacation with your earnings.

So now...I gotta ask. What is next?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The beers are on Ryan!
    He's going to be rolling in it ... every studio I know that works with normal maps uses Crazybump now!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I hope that doesn't mean you won't be posting on this forum now that you are going to be making $$$$ :poly003: Congrats!!! I'll have to wait until 1.1 to avoid the bugs all those 1.0 software have... :poly107:

Alex
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks very much, guys!

I am grateful for all of the support and helpful suggestions that everybody on PolyCount has offered!

And, alex, you aren't too far from the mark there... just released and it's already at v1.02 ;)
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    congrats you sonnvua... Post pictures of your mansion when you buy it? ;) I know that all the studios i have worked for now use crazybump as an integral part of their pipeline. I expect it will continue to be such. You deserve this massive inflation of net worth in every way. You win. ;)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yaaah! Awesome man :) I've got MoP perspective - every studio I know that uses normal maps uses CrazyBump.

EDIT: This is a general question I've had but Ryan's release reminded me of it - why do applications cost more for companies than they do for "personals" or individuals? Always wondered that..
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's typical to offer discounts for students and hobbyists. I think the main reason is that tool purchases are perceived differently by hobbyists than by professionals.

When a studio buys a tool, they perceive it as an investment. The tool is expected to save artist's time. Artist's time translates directly into money. So from a studio's perspective a good tool almost literally pays for itself.

But the hobbyist doesn't share that perception. He doesn't expect his tools to pay him back, so he is spending money where the studio is investing it. That naturally makes him more cautious, so it makes sense to offer him a discount.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To expand on that with a concrete example, I can approach a studio director and say "CrazyBump will save you thousands of dollars." I can say it with a straight face because it's true.

But I can't really say that to the hobbyists. If I want them to use my software it sorta requires a different pitch... it can't cost them as much because it doesn't save them as much ;)
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I will definitely pitch it to the guys over here once we get to a point when we start needing it, since it's proven useful during the beta to me in my next-gen workflow.

By the way. How did you reach the $99 price point for the personal license, Ryan?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Huge congrats! It's a really sweet and well put together program.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I did some rough math. Cant believe how much monies you could make off this thing.

I think I picked the wrong career :S
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Asmuel wrote: »
    I did some rough math. Cant believe how much monies you could make off this thing.

Good - you deserve it Ryan. I'm sure there'll be some cash heading your way soon.

Superb software, just superb.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    I have used various versions of the beta through its development,very very nice program and thanks very much for the time and hard work you have put into it,you deserve all the credit you are going to get for it.

Congratulations,

=J
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yep every penny well deserved! nice one :)
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    every artist here @ 10tacle was using the beta, it's just tha tool you need when you want to speed up your work :)

Be sure, I'll hammer both my boss and my AD for ordering a few ;) I just can't live without it, now.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I Am Going To Buy All Of Them
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    all the level artists i know use it, congrats on a wicked little tool.
    cant wait for 2 ;-)
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Damnit, he used the old fashioned drug pitch, he gave us some for free and now that we're all addicted and can't stop using it we're guaranteed to buy more...

...but no seriously, thanks for making this wonderful tool in the first place, its a wonderful thing. :poly129:
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Congratulations Ryan. It's a must buy - no doubt about it. Now it's time for the industry to pay you back for all your hard work!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Fuck Ya! Right on Ryan! It's been a long and. . . (wait for it) . . . bumpy road, but it's frickin fantastic to see this come of age.

HA HA HA I swear. . .I'm the funniest guy I know . . .
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats, Ryan.
    I'll definitely be recommending this app for our studio once we get heavy with the normal maps.
    The best of luck with selling tonnes of licenses, mate.

-caseyjones
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    surely my next paycheck will have some crazybumpo love !
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Polycounter discounts???

Jk, I find it a lot more reasonable and affordable than my transit pass.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats Ryan, its been fun watching you develop this little app into on of the most important pieces in my workflow! Prices look good too man.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome for you man...very neat tool
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Everybody: Thanks guys! You are very kind!

@East: I took the professional price, divided by three, and rounded down.

@JesseMoody:
    My next project is probably CrazyBump for OSX. I'm hoping a port won't take long, but I really don't have the first clue about OSX development. (yet)

I also have a yearning to play around with the iPhone SDK. Maybe a game will come of that. Can't say until I try it out.

Most importantly, I am open to suggestions. If there's a portion of your workflow that needs improvement, I want to know about it!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark wrote: »
    Most importantly, I am open to suggestions. If there's a portion of your workflow that needs improvement, I want to know about it!

I have two texture tool ideas you might be interested in to offer up...

I had already toyed around with these ideas a little (my computer sucks at home so i dabble with pixel art and retarded shit like this sometimes)

1. "Mat Lab" - a base material & swatch library creator

BMB00.gif

The basic idea, shown above, is the tool would take a collection of bitmaps and composite a base psd file together. I would love a tool like this.

an artist would create a "Material ID Map" Labeled in the pic above as a "Material Map" and the colors in it would reference a Material Library the artist could create and edit. The bake would dump all these maps and their respective masks into associated sets/groups into PSD format.

quake 4 uses a similar map, they call a Hit Map used for their material detection system.

Here is a rough layout of "library viewing and creating" menus i dreamed up with a demo of a dumpy little prog called mockupscreens:

Mat_Lab00.gif

on the left you have the library and the materials associated with it.
    next, to the right, the maps associated with the material.
    next, options to assign maps to a material to add to your library, and a preview window.

His is a rough layout for Baking options:

Mat_Lab01.gif

This is where you assign a Mat ID Map to a Library, and Easy-Bake your yummy PSD Cake.
    Also, I plopped a little menu in there for creating a PSD swatch file. It would create a Photoshop .ACO File that would name the Swatches accordingly so you can load that puppy up in Photoshop and paint the right color for the right material. Just like a coloring book. It would be a great way to get a head start on texturing stuff.

2. NBump edging tool

I've been looking for time to develop this idea a little more, but whatever. Basically, it would help detail the edges for geometry on a map level. I've seen a little on shaders that do this, I've never seen them in action aside from pictures. If it works realtime, that's cool.. *shrugs* I had been meaning to download a demo of Carrara and try the Evaluation of this shader I've just been busy. That shader has some cool options that I'd love to see incorporated into a texturing tool somehow using the coordinates available in the geometry and world space to figure out how to make a nice edging tool. here's an image that explains the concept on a high-level (all I got to):
    NBE00.gif

I'd love to see any of these two ideas.

-kp
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool ideas.

I guess the idea behind the material editor thing would be to create PSDs organized by hit area? Wouldn't that be very engine-specific?

The f-Edge plugin for Max kind of allows you to do the edge thing. If you want to paint things along the edges, you could bake f-Edge out to a mask for a 3D painter like Modo or BodyPaint or whatever.

Or you can quickly combine f-Edge with other procedurals in Max, like to add dents across edges. Download the zip, look in the Help folder, and down at the very bottom of the page they explain the setup for this sample...

f-EdgeStucco.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C
    I guess the idea behind the material editor thing would be to create PSDs organized by hit area? Wouldn't that be very engine-specific?

Yes, exactly like that. It has nothing to do with a Quake 4 Hit Map, I was just pointing out it would look a lot like one. It would basically create base materials for all maps to start polishing over. Coupled with an edge tool, It'd take an art asset to half completed.

Thanks for the heads up on that plugin ;)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure man.

I didn't mean quake4 specifically, I'm just thinking every developer uses different bitmap setups. I wonder how many developers use the export pipeline of storing all the maps for one entity inside a single PSD, using a specific layer/group layout? I understand the benefits of it, splitting and compressing at build time, just not sure if a lot of teams use it.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't follow Eric... so long as their game engine uses bitmaps for their textures it would be useful in my mind. No matter if the texture maps were being created for Unreal, Half-life, Quake, Crytek, etc.

Because that's all what it's helping to create, the textures. There was no real time shader process in my mind. The PSD was just a way to leave room for corrections to the mask.
    The goal was to spend a lot of time creating a good base texture and having that work distrubuted across all game assets, to be able to reference the library textures using this imagined "Mat ID Map" on the fly and mask it into a fresh texture map. Where I color Red, I'd get a diffuse, bump, spec (whatever was available) for Metal to poop out into a PSD. Where I color Blue, my sweet base wood texture would poop out.

Edit: Maybe you mean Engines that don't use Gloss Maps or something?
    in "Mat_Lab00.gif" the second pic i posted, When you assign Maps for a Texture, I thought a user could define the name of the "Set" or Map Type by clicking on the "+Additional Map" button. So, ideally it wouldn't create empty Sets.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK. I think I see now. Interesting workflow. It seems like it might be a lot of setup work, and could lead to very similar-looking assets. I guess it would be a good thing for continuity though, and if your workflow is done in masked layers.

I haven't seen many artists use this workflow, team continuity has been driven by the concept art or "proof" pieces. Sometimes artists pull from a common texture morgue, but then everyone paints and overlays the heck out of them.

But I'm probably in the minority, I haven't been doing a ton of texturing.

Sounds interesting.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Ryan Clark wrote: »
    @East: I took the professional price, divided by three, and rounded down.
    Just wondering what kind of research you put into figuring out which price point would be the sweet spot, since marketing to non-commercial users is probably a bit more complicated than just "dividing it by three, and rounding down" :P

Although with the much higher commercial price which will work nicely as a decoy price, you'll probably sell plenty of non-commercial licenses even at the rather unfriendly-looking $99 price tag.

I wish you luck, CrazyBump is an awesome product, and while I haven't used it as much as I'd like to yet I look forward to paying for it when I start using it again.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wondering what kind of research you put into figuring out which price point would be the sweet spot, since marketing to non-commercial users is probably a bit more complicated
    Caught in the position of a schoolchild who hadn't studied for a test, I followed a time-honored method and cribbed off another kid's test: I saw Mudbox's noncommercial version was just under half-price, and I assumed those guys had probably done some kind of research, so I put CrazyBump's at one-third!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    lol.. good one Ryan. Prices seem fair to me.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    we already bought a few licenses ! Let me a few days and I'm sure, I'll get one licenses for every artist we have here.

Thx again for all the hard work Ryan ;)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Yup, looks like Cryptic's going to get some licenses. Congrats again Ryan!

Don't forget us little people when you're a bazillionaire!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Some unsolicitied ideas from me for future projects:

- Make a plugin for Photoshop that shows the image tiling outside of the canvas area!

- Create a plugin that enables projection painting in CS3 Extended - they've got awesome brushes and a 3D viewer in the same program, but you can't use one on the other.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Truly a great tool Ryan, I'll definitely be picking this one up soon enough. Congrats on the release!
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    doc rob. now that ps tiling plugin is an excellent idea. i've actually looked around for a plugin like that but without any luck.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Projection painting in Photoshop would be badass.

Texturedesk is probably the closest thing to a tile previewer for Photoshop, Ryan you might get some ideas from it.
    http://www.spectralogue.com/texturedesk/
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I third or forth projection painting in Photoshop.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, forgot about Enzo.
    http://www.electriciris.com/

Unless Ryan you could one-up their problems (price, performance, ?,) it looks like you might face an uphill battle getting customers. Besides there are all the 3D paint alternatives these days, some reviewed here...
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=52697