Home Technical Talk

Maxscript or batch export for textures?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
I'm working on modeling a city for a project. Right now I have about 400 buildings, but it'll probably end up being double or more of that amount. I wrote a bit of maxscript code to map all the buildings, but I need to export those maps. I can use texporter and go through and pick each building and save the map, but I was wondering if any of you had some maxscript code or something that would be able to handle that?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    What do you mean "export those maps" ...
    Are they procedurals? Do you need to bake them down to a texture?
    Are they bitmap files? Do you just need them to be saved out to a common folder?

I don't really understand what you mean. Can you illustrate with a screenshot of what you want to do?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mention texporter, I guess you want to export the UV wireframe. Why can't you assign a wireframe material to all and use RTT?
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry if I didn't explain it well enough. Normally I would use texporter to export a wireframe uv map to use to make the textures for the model. Texporter requires you to pick the model, generate the wireframe image, then save the file. A lot of manual interaction there. I've got about 400 seperate models and I need a wireframe image for each so that I can make textures for them. Using texporter and manually selecting each one would take a long time, and since it'd be the same process to do each one I was wondering if there was some way to have Max generate the wireframe uv maps, so that I can set it up, hit a few buttons and let Max chug away and spit out the uv maps. Am I making a little more sense?

I've never used the render to texture stuff before. Just tried it out on a few of the buildings, seemed to work, hopefully having it do some 400 buildings won't cause a problem.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RTT can work on a selection of multiple objects, all at once. It should bake each one as its own bitmap.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    maxscript has access to the 'render UV template' in the unwrapUVW modifier,- shouldn´t be to difficult writing a maxscript for that.
    on scriptspot they seem to have something like that already:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/multirenderuv