Home Technical Talk

UV Mapping

I feel like I should just jump off a bridge when UV mapping to save the torture of it, it is by far the most mundane thing in this universe!

Fustration aside, it takes me forever to UV map, my question is how long does it take you to Map a model on average? (trying to guage how slow Iam.)

Do you have any tips or handy hits or methods you use to Map, or have found anything in particular to help you map it quicker?

Edit : Iam using Max 5

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends on the complexity of the model. For most human characters in the 5-10k poly range 3-5hrs. For props and environmental pieces, again it depends but the average time I spend it 2-3hrs.

I normally start off with some kind of auto unwrap, then stitch the pieces that don't come out correctly and relax everything to minimize stretching.

Upgrading to 3dsMax 8 or higher will give you some better unwrap tools, I think. Pelt mapping is pretty nice for unfolding cylinders.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the time greatly varies depending ont he complexity of the mesh (not just the number of polygons, but how those polygons are used).

Something simple would only take a few hours, but a more complex object can easily take a couple of days. My longest unwrap was for this fella (Shameless sef promotion warning) who despite not looking all that complicated took me the better part of 4 days to unwrap.

Newer versions of Max have greatly improved unwrapping tools (as do many plugins, some of them free), but unwrapping is never going to be easy or remotely fun.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    15 minutes till 30 minutes for a character with 2000 - 3000 poly´s using UVLayout. A day or 2 with just 3dsmax.

UVlayout takes some time to learn as almost everything is controled via shortcuts but it´s worth the time- its sooo much faster and fun for once. You have symetry functions, straighten tools and lots of other specific great ways to unwrap models in no time. So give the trial a shot and or have a look at some of the videos on the site:
    http://www.uvlayout.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=67

dont have the money but a uber fast computer? a similar approach (pelt mapping,..) check this freeby:
    http://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm
    or a blog review:
    http://mrblake.wordpress.com/2007/02/15/roadkill-11-uv-unwrap-tool/
    (but its almost a pain using it since its way to slow)

modo has some nice unwrapping tools:
    http://www.luxology.com/whatismodo/model.aspx
    not as awesome as UVLayout but still comes with tools like auto orient edge- islands, pelt mapping loop select,...

there was some other specialized unwrap tool just like UVLayout but I dont know the name anymore but my impression back then was that it was less superior compared to UVLayout
    if I am not mistaken id (Doom, Hexxen,...) released some custom scripts for modo to better use it in their Id tech 5 Engine like auto mapping simple objects, terrain,...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    renderhjs wrote: »
    15 minutes till 30 minutes for a character with 2000 - 3000 poly´s using UVLayout. A day or 2 with just 3dsmax.

Heh, I'd hate to see how you're UV-mapping a character in 3dsmax if it's taking a day or two. UVLayout isn't that much faster than Max if you have a good set of shortcuts setup in Max and maybe Chuggnut's tools if you want.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unwrapping a 2-3k character in 15 minutes? Nice, but I probably wouldn't like the layout very much. And if Roadkill's so slow for you, have you contacted the creator about this? Is it a known issues? It runs pretty good for me, although I haven't tried anything above 3k, myself.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    hmm i hate unwrapping too :P for very simple lowpoly models (500-1500 tris) it takes me about 10 minutes. Most important thing IMO is to keep in mind where you want your seems to go while modeling. a while ago a 6000 tris model took me about 1-2 hours. The best thing to use is a little relax script i found a very long time ago posted by MoP somewhere :D it just rules, because you only have to define the seams, hit that button several times and straighten the parts that need straightening and your done. thanks again for that MoP :D.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Aren't your guys times upside down? Sometimes the lower the model (not talking handheld style obviously, but let's say 1500ish range and higher) the longer it takes, since you need to align borders, unwrap some parts straight and some parts curved, that sort of stuff. Plus there is always extra tweaking needed on the UVs when painting the texture to get efficient results, some parts you realize you can share later on, amongst so many other details.

However as soon as you work with much more dense models it's really becomes a matter of minutes with workflows similar to Roadkill. Last time I unwrapped a nextgen character model it really took me minutes as opposed to the hours I spent on this for instance :
    http://www.pioroberson.com/modelpages/pior_3d_bunny_textures.jpg

This is especially true since nextgen mechanical stuff tend to take the form of a shell surrounding the objects outer limit, as opposed to the many little intersecting bits we dealt with a few years back. However as soon as you have separated pieces, there is some slowdown in the process for sure.

But then again, it depends. I simply observed that over the years, it evolved from being a chore to something almost fun and relaxing to do. I do it all in Maya+roadkill tho, used to do it in Max before.

Also, the more box-like the asset, the more precise the unwrap needs to be since you want to be able to paint a straight line on the texture and see it just as straight on the model. But as soon as you move to normalmaps, this doesn't apply anymore in my opinion - except for cylinder edges, that can be dealt with in many different manners.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    yes, i can say from modeling mechanical stuff, it can take literally days.
    a good UV layout plugin for max would be a godsend..
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    ...am I psychotic for actually liking unwrapping??? :-D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ...am I psychotic for actually liking unwrapping??? :-D

No your probably the type of guy we would like to collaborate with LOL.

I cant stand UV mapping, very boring but unfortunately necessary until the day when autounwrap and 3d painting work so well together that no one uses 2d texture painting.
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    But 2d texture painting owns D: I shall regret the day that happens, Ged
    Lol

Anyway, UV Mapping is boring, but yes, it's quite necessary, but I don't hate it. Maybe it's because I just do lowpoly models (I've never UV mapped anything above 2k polys) and am not really a perfectionist. All I do to UV Map is select the faces, make a quick planar map, do a relax, and then adjust as needed (if I adjust at all) xD But I'm a noob, so don't do what I do
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    SuPa- wrote: »
    But 2d texture painting owns D: I shall regret the day that happens, Ged
    Lol

yeah I always paint textures in photoshop or painter, even though I have access for bodypaint/zbrush I just use it to paint away seams or to lay down a rough texture. But 3D is probably the way its going.

Imagine the day when you can make a basemesh of a few hundred tris , start sculpting and get it finished and then when its done go down to the lvl2 or 3 of the mesh at around 15000 polys and hit the auto-retopologise button and then adjust a few edge loops and hit the auto-unwrap button, check the placement and size of the unwrap, then start texture painting and then its done. It would be a dream come true for me, so fast and so art focused.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    one thing that I find helps speed up UV mapping a lot is to "map as you go". It doesn't really help with character models but for mechanical models or environment props it can really help to map something before you model the next section and so on. Especially if you have repeated, or just similar, sections.