Home General Discussion

Gears of War 2

Replies

• j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome. Really looking forward to this.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    Love these new characters, YEEEHAAAW!!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Dizzy looks awesome as hell. I bet he'll be fun.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas wrote: »
    Always scan printed material at double size & size it down. It gets rid of the printed dot pattern. As exciting as the articles where, it was painful to read and look at.
  • cgjeff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgjeff polycounter lvl 17
    dfacto wrote: »
    God, they didn't even try...

That said, if the chainsaws are there it'll be fine.

Hahaha, I know right. "GoW2, now with 300% more stereotype kungfu action"

The ridiculousness of the new characters aside, I do hope they tell multiplayer to f*#k off and make an amazing story (not go the halo route and only develop multiplayer) Because gears does have a really good base to build a really awesome story on.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Maori on an alien planet with a stereotypical polynesian name and a shitty looking moko.

YOU FAIL AT CHARACTER DESIGN!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I can see the producers in one of the brain storming meetings:

"Ok, we need a fucking pirate, or a cowboy or some shit. People love that shit. And we need some kung fu cause kung fu is all the rage with the kids these days. Make it happen artists. No no no, not like that, thats not a fucking pirate cowboy, pirate cowboys have a southern drawl. And where is his cowboy hat? And all of them smoke so give him a blunt!"
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Their body armor looks like standard COG, can't blame the artist for going overboard with the stereotypical head designs. :-)

First time I've seen a "YOU FAIL AT CHARACTER DESIGN!" directed at hawkprey by the way. Oh wait, it's upper management and the game designers fault!
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I recall hawkprey shared some of the early concepts for the body armor. The first drafts looked like SWAT gear, and it just became more and more exaggerated until they were super chunky. I thought the thinner body armor looked a bit better.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if you look at UT3's solo campaign and Gears of War together you realize that they must have some sort of checklist for what characters must be in a game. Guy with facial tattoo? Check and check. Religious guy? Check and check. Large black dude? Check and check. Pale creepy enemies that wear black armor? Check and check again!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    So Gears 2 is released tonight at 12:01am... Well technically Friday morning. But anyways I'll be there to pick up my copy. Can't wait.

Let the chainsaw fest begin!!!!
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    tight! I'll be at some of the midnight launches around Epic.
    gamertag is jernst if you all want to play some horde.

I took tomorrow off, so I'll be up all night.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome game, I've been playing it all day :P

The new horde game mode is amazing, been pretty much hooked on that with 4 mates for the past 6-7 hours.

Story seems good too, though the multiplayer is just too much fun right now. Nice one Epic :D
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hell yea a bunch of guys form the studio here are going tonight to pick it up. bonus at future shop where you get the exploding head locust action figure with purchase as well. should be dooooope shit for sure. sorry, fo sho'

oh yea gamer tag is TS Falcon8789 is my GT
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    hell yeah! I'm going to the local best buy for some Epic launch stuff but I should be on after midnight! gonna get some sweet MP going.

Gamertag = Mutantspoon
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i'll be picking up mine tonight also, hopefully see you guys online.

Gamertag = HarleyQ

(i wonder if the sales of Gears2 will break the previous record)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Gears is one of my favorite games of all time!

THERE I SAID IT!

Still stands as the by far the best looking console game by quite a margin IMO.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    jox you failure!

actually it's definitely one of my favorite console games... just plain fun to jump in and rip shit up. I'm really excited for this as I've beaten the first enough times to be pretty bored of it. tomorrow night is gonna be a blast :-D
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    I just picked up my copy and I'd love to play it...if I could find out how to progress past the 'difficulty mode' screen. Press A to select difficulty mode....Okay, so I pressed A...now what???

*EDIT*

I reset the clock in my console settings and it seems to have fixed it.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    cant wait to get it tommorow:)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I'll be on tonight too, I'm Macnulty on Live.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the characters are fine, imo - u can have ur overrated innovation. gears is solid. that fills a gap, haven't seen much of that lately. it's safe to say gears 2 will deliver like it's predecessor had.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    I'll be at the midnight release to pick it up.. ugh hope there isn't a huge line. Can't wait to play this sucker.. I'm a big gears fanboy.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i hate the fact that i have a physics test tomrrow x x

after i get a hold of the game, though, im gonna go all night till i collapse from fatigue!

just activated the free gold month i got, jus to test out this game online =D
    might become a regular golder soon lol

gamertag - indian boy90
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i will be picking it up, actually thinking of going to the event here in LA.. i might try and get cliff to sign my copy of R2, that would be awesome..i think it would melt fanboy's faces off.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    shit arsh I'd like to get YOU to sign my copy of R2 ;)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    They started selling them at 4pm at the company store :)
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Happy gears of war day everybody!

One hour or so until i go pick mine up. It´s gonna be a loooooooooooooooong day at work *whine whine*

Beers and co-op buddy ready at least. Today the world will be filled with chainsawy-gorey love :)

EDIT: and now i have it. Add Wahlgren to your list if you feel like sawing me.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Just got it, everyone is free to add me on their list for some gears 2!

gamertag: stimulated
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    I stayed up way too late playing this last night. Big improvement over gears 1 in the campaign (imo). The artwork is some of the best of the industry as expected, especially the environments and lighting, which was one thing i was consistantly stopping to check out.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    GoW2 get!

Picked it up on the way into work this morning without even having to preorder it.

I'll be playing at lunch and tonight.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Played with Jordan W & Kevin J for a bit. Then animatr, I and a bunch of his friends went until 7:44am and my wife made me coffee in the morning so we could finish all 50 waves of enemies on Horde.

Wave 45 kicked our asses bad!
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    yeah Lee. That was a lot of fun. Having never beaten horde til then, I was really surprised at how hard it got. the chaos!! man what a blast!

now for hardcore :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea this game is fucking awesome. and ive only touched horde for 3 hours and no campaign yet. haha with 4 guys on hardcore difficulty we only got to wave 11 in 3 hours. ridiculously outta shape :P. granted we were trying out a few different maps but we definitely got gangraped.

thanks to all the guys at epic who worked hard to make such a dope game. now just cant wait to pound through the story this weekend.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Ran out at lunch and got a couple copies. Played the tut and a couple levels of Horde. At first blush it comes across as 'more of the same' but once you start digging in you notice all the little upgrades and evolutions. Fun stuff! pew pew pew!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    good fun game, but Horde mode just screams "Unreal Tournament".

not surprising of course.

and i like chainsawing people to death still.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Major effin props to Epic for the progress bars on your achievements in game. This *needs* to become an MS standard for all future achievements that require some total tally of actions.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed with flaagan
    that aside:

AWESOME WORK by epic

been playing horde for the past 4 hours or so, only got to wave 11.
    gonna start the campaign tomorrow morning

was great fun.
    the new enemy types intrigue me. look very medieval and stuff. keen to see how/ if that is a part of the locust hierarchy

edit: anybody have any clue at the rate gears 2 eats bandwidth up? my parents insist on kicking me off online play cuz they worry it'll go overboard of our 60 gig limit
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indian_boy wrote: »
    edit: anybody have any clue at the rate gears 2 eats bandwidth up? my parents insist on kicking me off online play cuz they worry it'll go overboard of our 60 gig limit

:D!

Your parents are :poly105:
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Unless it's feeding maps down the pipe, it shouldn't be any more than most other online games. They only transmit coordinates basically, so it's very minimal actually. You're likely to use up more browsing around youtube all day ;)

I hate when the release games at the end of the year for the xmas rush... I can't afford to get any of them right now because I need xmas money for the kids and family. No one else will get me these games because they're too expensive :/ sigh... gotta wait until jan/feb to play it :(
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    can't play it drunk but it looks awesome
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notman.. I can't say I "hate" per say how many games are coming out right now, but I'll just say that I'm partways into fable 2, barely scratched the surface of Fallout 3 (at 15 hrs of gameplay), just started up Gears 2, haven't even opened Dead Space, still have to installed C&C:RA3, and I've already got a friend hooking me up with Mirror's Edge from the EA store....

I'd seriously consider just taking a week or two off from work if I wasn't so busy there.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Just completed Horde on normal mode... my hands are fucking killing me but what a rush!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    flaagan wrote: »
    Major effin props to Epic for the progress bars on your achievements in game. This *needs* to become an MS standard for all future achievements that require some total tally of actions.

Valve had 'em first! Just sayin'.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Valve had 'em first! Just sayin'.

Ubisoft had them before that.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Who cares. They need to be standard. They are perfect. I love the way they show progress while playing, its just so much better.

Also, the game was great. VERY short though. Dont like beating games the same day I buy them, even worse when its launch day :( The ending chapter was epic though :) But I have to say I liked the ending to the first game more. Guess it was the music :p

Anyway, I found a hidden cheat mode to get First Person view *cough*

gears2_owned.jpg
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yea my parents do worry a bit too much.
    i'll see how much i kill this month by using a few hours a day.

hope its not murderously overboard

oh and:
    just started campaign mode. is there no way to tell that one of those 'collectors' items is near by? like the crimson omen in the first game?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Not really, no. They DO flash like weapons and items, but its quite hard to see them. In fact, even the cog tags are no longer glowing blue cogs, but just basic metal ones :(
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a great time with the campaign, the pacing is great as it doesn't get repetitive or boring. Graphics are quite nice, especially the areas later in the game which are really nicely detailed and lit. I did think the locust base does look very UT3ish though, probably not the same assets, but a similar style. Dialogue is soooo cheesy but i guess that's to be expected for such an over-the-top game.
    The bonus disk has some nice insight into the different areas of art production in the game, gears would be nothing without James Hawkins' design talent!