Home General Discussion

Apple. No means no...

Dear Apple,

Please put your plans for global domination on hold. While you're at it, stop trying to trick me into downloading your web browser. I've told your updater no 3-4 times. No means no.

Thanks,
Vig

(Its been a while since I've done this...)
Apple lacky: No one is using Safari.
Jobs: Then we need to bundle it with itunes.
Apple lacky: But we already bundle itunes with Quicktime?
Jobs: Look, I don't make the rules around here I just follow them.
Apple Lacky: ok sir... so how do we proceed with the bundling?
Jobs: First we release it with a quicktime update. Then we release it with an itunes update, followed by a quicktunes update, then another bogus itunes update. Then finally we just force delete Mozilla off users computers and replace it with Safari.
Apple lacky: We don't make quicktunes and I think, that's illegal.
Jobs: (leans over to his trash bin and listens) Whats that Hank? Ok if you say so...

30min later the Apple Lacky wakes up behind the counter at a Starbucks wearing an apron and is greeted by a long line of antsy customers. The note pinned to his chest reads "There's no i in Apple, but there's a U in Starbucks".

Seriously it's really getting annoying.

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    God damn ain't that the truth....

I can't get quicktime without itunes unless I follow a few different links, sacrifice a goat, run to the top of Everest and then pray for 5 days while fasting...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Qucktime Alternative. It will save your life.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    oooh don't get me started
    an unfortunate last-resort situation yesterday caused me to have to get hold of Quicktime Pro. Not an experience i want to relive, their website is almost immediately eye-gougingly annoying.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I've had nothing but problems ever since i tried quicktime alternative nad never worked. :D

It's easy to get quicktime without itunes however it tries to install it on every update. :(

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ just check the box that doesn't have itunes and disable autoupdate.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Dekard. That is what I had to do as well.

It just seems like Apple is the creepy guy at the club watching you all night and when you aren't paying attention he is sneaking into your house while you sleep and laying down in your bed, only in Apples case it is sneaking through your internets into your machines.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The part I love is how the update tries to install it. I mean, you've already chosen NOT to include it when you first installed quicktime, but when you try a quicktime update, it tries to include iTunes and Safari.

Btw, Safari does seem to be pretty nice, but I don't know ANOTHER browser on top of the 3 I already have.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    isnt this a similar thing to what microsoft got sued for? I guess being trendy makes you immune to legal action
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    isnt this a similar thing to what microsoft got sued for? I guess being trendy makes you immune to legal action

See that is what I was thinking. They are forcing you to install software that you don't want and you denied. You leave auto update on like most people do and then you have safari installed. What the hell...
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    exactly my thoughts
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's actually a little different because quicktime isn't your OS, but yes, it does fall along those lines.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Can I also yell at Apple about how, every time I update Itunes, it removes the Target & Start In information from my Itunes shortcut, rendering them useless, and forcing me to recreate them? EVERY TIME!?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Quicktime consistently crashes my work PC, and constantly tries to update itself, then crashes on update.

I don't want updates at home, it's working fine there. I turned them off, and removed anything vaguely Quicktime-related off my startup and processes.

Annoyingly enough, I really like the Quicktime format and playback method, it's great for model turnarounds, and generally feels really smooth.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »
    Btw, Safari does seem to be pretty nice

This is however only due to it working on a open-source rendering core (khtml renamed webkit) originally developed for linux.
    They basicly ripped it out (more or less like they did with their entire new OSX, from OpenBSD) and only after quite a bit of negative publicity and pressure finally agreed to at least give back the changes and improvments they made.

But it's good to hear that some people are finally waking up and realize that Apple is no alternative to Microsoft in terms of "being evil" and abusiveness of it's users!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone has their computer shut off when it updates...at least I did not.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    why are you using this crap anyway? there are quicktime alternatives like mplayer and vlc with their own codecs mostly independent from the OS, in almost all cases working better than quicktime itself, less obtrusive and more configurable definitely.
    the only reason i found for me myself to require the actual quicktime would be for video capture from my camera and there it's more of a convenience issue.

and i'm sure you guys didn't fall for the DRM trap and are now itunes/ipod addicts? ;)

i try to avoid the qt-itunes-safari trio even on mac osx, however there it get's a little hard to find a decent alternative mp3 player. and yeah, apple software is comparably annoying and sneaky and home-phoning and developed by a corporate evil as the stuff coming out of redmond.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    BTW you can click the "Tools -> Ignore Selected Updates" if the Apple Software Updater pops up again with Safari in the list. Just check the box next to Safari and do the Ignore thing, it should not remind you again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We use quicktime at work for viewing avi files, it lets us scrub the time slider which is great for reviewing animations. If I could find another avi player that offers the same thing (shakes head at WMP) we might switch. Honestly we haven't bothered looking and it hasn't annoyed anyone until now. The thing pops up and the only update is Safari, grrr...

I'll try the ignore updates thing that MoP suggested the next time it happens, I'm sure it will be soon. Thanks guys!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I love iTunes and quicktime, so those updates don't bother me. But the Safari one? No, just stop.

I like you Apple, but I'm not bothered about Safari even on my Mac. If I wanted it on my PC, I'd install it.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    vig: perhaps give this a spin to see if'd fit your bill - http://rulesplayer.altervista.org/ - that is mplayer plus a GUI similar to the classic mediaplayer with a scrub bar. completely separate to any quicktime install you may have. i personally use mplayer in a manual install without a GUI tho.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And again with the update hi-jinks. "Apple updater needs to be updated"
    So we can reset your "ignore Safari" preferences and try and trick you into downloading Safari again...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    And again with the update hi-jinks. "Apple updater needs to be updated"
    So we can reset your "ignore Safari" preferences and try and trick you into downloading Safari again...

haha...you know it's like your womans period. A total pain in the ass and it comes once a month.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I just let it download, kinda sucks since I only have 500gb free on my hard drive.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    yeah free software, ain't it a bitch?

no comment from apple, but even apple users are a little mystified: http://www.macrumors.com/2008/04/18/apple-modifies-software-update-for-windows/

looks like someone got a bit over zealous with the installer.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spyware is free, why not install it all over your machine? :P

Besides, it has to be free because no one would buy it ;)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Even after I disabled it checking for Safari updates manually, it actually brought it back after a Quicktime update downloaded - it went back into the installer and said "checking for new software", and Safari popped up. Bloody stupid.
  • James Edwards