Home General Discussion

Dark Sector...game is pretty sweet

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
I didn't see a thread on it or maybe I missed it, but Dark Sector is a great game. I finally got to sit down and spend some time with the copy I bought last night. It has a lot of game play mechanics like Resident Evil 4 but added upon. Yes that means when you aim and the camera pulls in closer to your guy's shoulder you can move about while firing. HOORAY!

It has been a lot of fun so far and the art is great. Good job to those involved. I've played up to where I've been infected, started transforming and have the glaive to throw about at people ripping various limbs away. I really like how you can still aim and use your firearm with one hand and the glaive simultaneously for some crazy dual wielding action. I usually shoot to aggro the AI into exposing themselves from cover and then throw the glaive at their head. That first crazy (not sure it was a boss or not as it ran away after a bit) mutated giant gorilla like thing was awesome. It kept destroying the environment around me as it got even more pissed...and it didn't seem like only parts of the environment were deformable, it was like anything goes. Very cool. I was glad to see as well the rocket launchers had the ability to lock onto enemy heat signatures if you take the time to let it lock on. Nice touch.

Anyways for those who hadn't tried it yet and were wondering, it is pretty damn cool. I'd recommend it.

Replies

• Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i've heard that the combat mechanics are pretty sweet and the game is quite good despite the mediocre reviews given
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I've been seriously looking forward to this game for years, still not out in the UK though despite what XBLive may say. (bastards I wanted condemned 2 and Dark Sector NOW!)

I've noticed it's not been getting rave reviews and averaging a 7/10 but honestly, it doesn't make me doubt the game at all.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, this game looks pretty sweet.
    I hate how so many people judge games off reviews, on multiple websites i've heard people not to buy it because it got AVERAGE reviews.
    THey've never even played it.
    Gawd, i'm still going to rent this shit when it gets to my video store.
    BTW Anyone else pumped for Viking: Battle for Asgard?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Jimmies thats the whole point of reviews...
    And yeah Viking looks kinda neat.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I rented it after seeing this post. Its pretty good so far. Some little quirks here and there. The dual wield action is pretty slick. I'm glad I decided to at least give this game a shot.

Is this a UE3 game? The game play feels like a mix of GoW and RE4.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Is this a UE3 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, we used an inhouse engine, but the first iteration of the game was UE1 so some websites (mostly unreal related) thought we kept the engine afterward while we actually switched a few years ago (the sci-fi thing was actually a tech demo of the new inhouse engine).

glad some people like it, I'll get my copy soon, hopefully, hope some people will play the multiplayer a little.
    It seems the overall player feedback is pretty good though, people just have to get over with the whole no more sci-fi thing and gears/RE4 similitudes.

7 isn't that bad for that generation of game I think, I enjoyed a lot of "7" games more than some "8"'s that were given mostly on hype and marketing$$$$$. Not that I'm saying we got robbed or anything, but yeah always try a game before trusting the reviews tongue.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey congrats vahl ! smile.gif just saw some screenshots and the look is realy nice
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    This is the one that got refused classification here, wasn't it? Are you doing a cut down version for us, or do I need to try and import?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Grats folk who worked on this, looks great. I'd play it if I had a console for it.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Looks good. I'd say your biggest fault is a serious lack of marketing support. I'm not sure what kind of options you guys had with publishers, but I don't think I'd go with D3 again if you have a choice, they really let you down here.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I will be buying very very soon. looks awesome!
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    This is exactly my type of game and genre so I'll be picking it up pretty soon, congrats vahl!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    we love it at insomniac. really like the water effects when its raining and pantine pro v shine on the lead characters hair. we spent a good deal of time thrusday just checking everything out. its funny we have character artist that looks just like the lead character, same crazy hair..hahaha

good job, love limbing fools with the krull blade. i dont really understand the mediocre reviews, from what i saw and played its better that a lot of games rated higher, i guess you guys didnt give free blowjobs packaged with the review copies of the game you gave to the reviewers.

i will be picking this up soon when i get some free time to actually sit down and play it. haven't really seen any games i wanted to play since devil may cry 4 came out. this will be first on my list.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Loving it so far, Vahl. There's a few weird things about the game, but overall, it's definitely one of the better single player games I've played in a while. : ) Great art, great animation, and fucking awesome gore. *Really* liked that Quadraped tank, it was badass.

Favourite moment so far, the Behemoth/Colossus doing a double hand smash on a grunt soldier, taking so much force, his ragdoll stretches out in one direction, and the lower half of his body reacts, and slingshots out into the atmosphere.

This game rocks my socks so far. (And the suit, fucking sweeeet.)

Edit: And it's about time someone represented us people with baby faces. Phat Cheeks Hayden represent!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Just popped it in this morning. I'm digging it. Art, combat, etc is fun. Feels like Gears 1.5. I don't like the enemy animations popping. When they go from cover to attacking there is a distinct pop. Otherwise it's pretty ace so far.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    glad you people liked it, really tongue.gif makes me want to get my copy now (won't be out before april 4th in France, and my 360 is a french one frown.gif )

BTW, I worked on Chapter 7 and 9 ^^ as environment artist and level builder we were 2 (me and another artist)working closely with the level designer (HAIL RICH !!!). Strangefate helped a lot with the second section of chapter 9 too smile.gif
    I also did a few models for chapters 2,4 and 5,the architecture and level building at the beginning of chapter 3 (outside) - mostly modular models and buildings and some random stuff here and here throughout the game.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    The game is alot of fun. Just finished it yesterday. Love what you guys did with the glaive. The designs of Hayden and the Nemesis are fantastic too.

Ran into this fun glitch in chapter 10 after I got blown up by a grenade.

l_01231ef241fa7e73e763e3abe7d18514.jpg
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    One of the best glitches from way back must have been when one of the troopers toppled a vendingmachine over as cover and managed to crush himself in the process. That was gold and should have stayed in the game =D
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I wish that I had rented this instead of Viking battle for asgard.
    Now, this is all my opinion but the game is very very boring, and the larger fights don't really last very long, and I actually just fell asleep playing it today.
    Yeah...
    Some pretty nice arty stuff though.