Home Technical Talk

Good UV and texture tutorials using maya

Wej
Wej
I don't so much need a good texture tutorial, as i think i can get them, but the damn UV's frusterate me...a lot! I can never really get them to look the way you guys do. You all have it on 1 picture, and they are flattened out. I can't figure out how. I have gone through quite a few crapy tutorials, and now i am asking you guys tongue.gif

I am using Maya PLE.

Replies

• Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    Yes. I still need a lot of help! I am trying to follow this video, but something is majorly wrong.

I unrapped my uv's. I edited it in photo shop. Saved it as a TGA, and then I assign material to selection, and it assigns the UV picture, without the actual texture, to it...
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    Well...i have found the problem i am having....however, i don't know how to fix it.

When i made the UV's, I unwrapped the head, pants, and shirt, with a cylinder, and the arms and shoes as a plane. The arms and shoes are working fine...but the ones i made the UV's cylinders do not....how do i get them to work? The textures don't even show up in the UV editor when i have them selected, unless it is a plane one.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Can you post the model file by any chance? Kind of hard when you just say "it's not working" - we have no point of reference.

Also, what app are u using?
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    I kinda figured. I am not able to do it at school, but when i get home i will do it. Where would be the best place to upload the file to? I will also upload the texture file.

I am using Maya PLE, since it is free.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    are they all using the same material?
    Double check this one. If the image isn't showing in the texture editor but the UV's are, then the material assigned to that object does not have a texture assigned to it's color channel.
    To see the textures on your model in the view port be sure to have hardware texturing enabled. Its on the "Shading" menu in your viewport
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    OMFG!!!! I figured out the problem....they are not in the same UV set...i didn't even realize i did that...lol...but it works now =)