Home General Discussion

Motor scooters

So I think I will need to purchase some motorized transportation soon, whether I stay in Redmond or move to Austin. I moved right close to work and the town center so I could just walk, but they going to close the studio, so I am not working there anymore.

I know absolutely nothing about motor scooters... Anyone have any advice on what to purchase and where to purchase? It will need to be highway-legal.

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    the bitches loooove segways.

seg_rosesrun185w400h.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure how the laws are set up in Washington, but I think most places it just has to be more than 50cc to be legal on highways.

I have a Kymco People-250 and it has no trouble keeping up with other highway traffic. Really fuel efficient too. The tank only holds about 2 gallons, but that's enough to ride about 100 miles.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll be wanting a motorcycle soon if you go on the freeway a lot, no passing power for a moped/scooter, feels dangerous at highway speeds if you're cruising at full-throttle.

I started with a scooter for a year, only local <45mph roads. Then upgraded to a motorcycle for a year. Awesome times.

But think about the weather, it rains a lot there. Not only a pain comfort-wise (rainsuit), but also visibility lowers (for you and others), and safety is worse.

Gas is a hell of a lot cheaper without that heavy metal car-cage, and parking is awesome. Think through the trade-offs.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Keep in mind that when you're on two wheels everyone else on four is now totally unaware of your being around them, can be deadly on impact, and probably holds a grudge against you if you're getting ahead of them by cutting through traffic (and has the potential to open a door in front of you).

Hate to sound pessimistic about it, but almost lost a coworker to a motorcycle accident not too long ago. I think the idea of a motorcycle of any power's a cool idea, but you damn well better be all-eyes-open when riding it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Depends mainly where you live. It's pretty damn dangerous here also, but if I were a bit further away in the more rural areas, then I wouldn't mind having a bike of some sort.

Personally, I'd rather put my money into a motorcycle of some sort, rather than a high powered scooter. I still haven't seen a scooter that doesn't make you look like a dork while riding one.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    With the chance of moving the Texas...get a motorcycle. Watch out for Texans.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A car would probably be best but, I have spent the last 5-6 months without one, and it is extremely nice... tbh I don't really want a vehicle of any sort but I'm going to need it whether I stay (job commute) or move (not within easy walking distance to stores, etc., as I am now). I just don't want the responsibilities and expenses a car entails.

A motorcycle would probably be better than scooter if I move (since Austin and Texas seem to be so highway-centric), but it would be a hard- nay, impossible - sell to convince my family of my decision (why do I need to convince them? I'm not sure). A scooter would definitely be fine if I stay in Redmond but if I move I may push for a motorcycle.

Edit: Bioware just called, looks like I'll be moving to Austin smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats man.

Get yourself a smart car (if you can fit in to one). They run around the same price as a motorcycle, and offer more safety.