Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks a ton Justin.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    I use Vista x64. No sac or defender popups ever, just turn that shit off, its easy. The OS has been smooth as glass so far.

My only complaint is with the installation of vista x64. It does not support 4 or more gigs of ram until you've installed the hot fix, so I had to take out all but 2gbs to install the OS then grab the hot fix. It was only a small head ache and now I'm sitting happy with 8gigs smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    tinman > when you hook up a tablet, Vista thinks your computer is a Tablet PC, here's how to fix it:

go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools and double click on the shortcut to Services
    In the services window look for "Tablet PC Input Service", double click on it and where it says startup type select disabled.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats nuts
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Yeh, vista didn't do that to me. I plugged in the wacom, it worked. Done.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i know this is a lil offtopic , but does ubunto suport 3ds max, mudbox, photoshop etc ?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    No, Ubuntu doesn't support those programs natively. You can use WINE, which is a emulated windows, or VMWare to run those programs. I have not tried them, but I know there has been success with at least photoshop.

The unfortunate thing is that these programs won't be ported over to Linux until the OS becomes more popular, but the reason people don't switch are because these ports don't exist :/ Ubuntu has been rising in popularity the last few years, so hopefully there will be enough incentive shortly for developers to start supporting it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's true isn't it.

If linux ran adobe CS family and max, there would be very little incentive to use windows' bullshit.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I tried Ubuntu about a year ago and it didn't seem to be as smooth of an install or as user friendly as OSX & Windows.

I used to be a Mac technician, I'm still using windows :-P
  • Mr.T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    and probably the most horrid version of XP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Xp64 Pro works just fine on my workstation wink.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It moves like a turd for me. It's offered no benefits other than the lack of decent driver support.

Justin: Ubuntu changes every 6 months. I know the version several back wasn't as nice as it is now. I'll admit though, the install process still isn't as polished as the big boys. wink.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may be wrong but isn't one of the advatages of installing linux to a light OS that gives your more raw power out of yer machine?
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It moves like a turd for me. It's offered no benefits other than the lack of decent driver support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree for lacking drivers, but isn't it beneficial that 64bit XP allows us to use more than 3GB, which is limit under 32bit XP? That's was sole reason I stepped up for 64bit.
  • Mr.T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My only problem with XP64 was for my WiFi card drivers,
    but fortunately another WiFi card with the same chipset
    was supporting xp64 drivers and it worked fine wink.gif

Vista has the same problem, my parents have a brand new
    computer and their brand new printer/scanner/photocopy
    can't work with it.

I wish Wine would fully support 3dsmax and Adobe products,
    I think I would switch quickly.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, I only have !GB of ram, so the 3GB limit wasn't an issue for me. I only tried it because my school had it as a free download and I had purchased a 64Bit processor.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    So, I'm building a new machine in a few weeks and really don't want to spend around $340 for the retail version of Vista Ultimate as this is almost twice as expensive as just buying an OEM version from newegg. However, this leaves me with figuring out whether I should go with the 32bit or 64bit version. Any thoughts, warnings, or suggestions on either?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going to get it, definitely get the OEM version. You qualify when you buy just about anything from newegg. As for the bit version, check with your hardware makers first. See if they have 64bit Vista drivers. If so, then go with the 64bit.
    Also, make sure you get at least the home premium. Don't get the business edition if you want the media center functions. In my opinion, Ultimate is absolutely NOT worth a penny more than any of the other versions. They promised all sorts of extra content, then failed. There are hacks to make the 'extras' work on the lower versions.

BTW, you guys read that SP1 is getting delayed.... AGAIN
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Completely agree with notman, make a list of your hardware and software you have before upgrading and check to make sure there are proper drivers available. The point about Home Premium is on target as well, it has everything you need, and I read a few reviews on the backup features that ultimate boasts and they didnt seem that great but you can judge for yourself.

I upgraded to vista64 and while there are a few small annoyances I really cannot complain and would not downgrade if given the chance. My PC renders 20% faster in vista64 using mental ray in max compared to XP32 and while that's not a super accurate benchmark I cant complain.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate how many updates there are to Vista, it seems like every time I start up my wifes laptop it has another round of updates. I don't remember signing up for the Vista Beta Program. Outside of that issue, there are a few compatibility issues mostly just waiting for drivers to be written. For some reason it takes longer to boot and shut down, its like diesel engine once it gets warmed up things are fine. I have XP also installed on the laptop and the slow boot isn't hardware related, about 2min on Vista and about 45sec on XP Pro.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    My complaints with vista are a couple glitches with visual studio 2005 and xsi when used in combination with the aero interface. That and the folders never stay the way I want them and I can't seem to set a constant look for everything. If I try to set too many folders at once to a certain look through the properties it causes explorer to crash.

Having the graphics drivers outside kernel space bugs me some. Supposedly saves on reboots, but you take a hit in performance that way (won't get technical as to why, needless to say it requires more work for the graphics driver to be outside of kernel space).
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, this will ultimately save me $80 not getting Ultimate and going with Home Premium. However I do have one final question, can I still use my old 32 bit programs (like Photoshop, Maya, etc) on a 64 bit machine without any problems?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah you can. It runs them in a legacy type mode. If you look at the process in task manager, there's a little tag on the process name.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Microsoft chops Vista retail prices

Vista Ultimate from $299 to $219
    Home Premium from $159 to $129

For those of you thinking about it now, here's a better reason. I guess they'll be rolling the price changes out with the SP1 release.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    On a related note, I noticed that some games ran noticably quicker in Vista.. GoW is one, but the biggest change was with Stranglehold - which I ragged on in these boards since it chugged like a bugger in XP, but runs like hot butter in Vista.. I'm going to try Lost Planet, which was another XP chugger - to see if it gets a performance hike in Vista.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Microsoft chops Vista retail prices

Vista Ultimate from $299 to $219
    Home Premium from $159 to $129

For those of you thinking about it now, here's a better reason. I guess they'll be rolling the price changes out with the SP1 release.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then the price drop will never happen? wink.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Those price cuts are for the upgrades.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well I love it for the fact that it has voice recognition. waste if time, but fun to mess around with. i can open 3dsmax with my voice ha ha
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i love my vista rig at home. I hate doing anything on my wifes computer as it is still xp. I have another copy of vista ultimate dell sent me just sealed waiting for a new rig.

I have seen a huge performance increase in vista in a lot of games with a nice set up. I am using the beta version of service pack 1 and before my system because of motherboard constraints and other memory allocation errors it was only seeing 3.25gigs of ram. Now with the sp1 it sees the full 4 gigs and it has made a difference.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    JesseMoody - Has the service pack made a huge difference overall?. i am looking forward to getting it.
    Must agreee, my other 2 comps have xp and I prefer vista anyday, depsite a few weird bugs.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    The final version of sp1 has made a huge difference in general performance of vista. I cant think of any examples, but vista just *feels* smoother than before. Game performance has improved too.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cool, Entity - when is the final version out?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey by the way! I am sure someone can help me with this one. I am using Vista at work and it turns out I need to have Aero enabled for some apps to run well. I need either the full, 3D desktop one or the simplier that looks similar but is slightly less advanced. If I use the XP style performance goes down.

However the reason why I like the oldschool XP style is the reduced visual clutter. Is there a way to install Vista Aero 'skins' to change the look of the OS? I am not looking for fancy car tuning flashy buttons but for a interface that reduces widow borders thickness, has no fancy rounded stuff but still looks sleek and clear. (window casting shadows is great when working in a near border-less environment for instance.)

Thanks for the help!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    cool, Entity - when is the final version out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about the date, but I think you can easily get the oem released version now.

I found this great article examining sp1's improvements

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2273203,00.asp