Home› General Discussion

Top 9 structures soon-to-be-built

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Ferg polycounter lvl 17
The future is now!

http://deputy-dog.com/2007/11/22/top-9-unique-structures-soon-to-be-built/

Personally, I'd like to see a whole city made of buildings like number 5 (residence antilia, india), with cool little bridges between all the buildings and levels. Inspiring stuff... I'm glad the human race is still building megalithic structures.

Replies

• flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! Those are indeed beautiful, and I second that #5 idea needing to be more prevailant.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    More stuff to bomb!

I mean, cool buildings!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that chicago spire is ugly.

the other ones are cool though, that ripple building is rad
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    That first one is awesome...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    the chicago spire is a baguette. You don't want an enormous baguette in your city, do you?

that said, the world needs more of these things and i'm so happy that loads of countries realise this. I'm depressed and frustrated to live in a country where massive, awe inspiring works of art and engineering are generally seen as a waste of money. Bollocks to that : pour as much money as you can - private and public - into creating the most mentalist buildings we possibly can, piss off as many sour-faced people as we can, make entire nations envious, and set them going to trying to better it. Thats what the modern world is founded on.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I love baguettes. less so drill bits
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    that spire looks like a giant dildo
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's vision of the future is tomorrows demo project. My city is full of failed attempts to push the boundaries of style I'm still waiting for EMP to be finished... I see 4 on that I really want to see built the others are just horrible.

As long as they aren't knocking down older marvels to put up the new ones I don't really mind the ugly ones going up. At least none of them are glass boxes. Every city could do with less of those.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    4 looks like it was designed by apple.

9 looks pretty ace to me, 7 also looks cool in a strange sort of way. 1 looks cool, but I'm not sure if I would actually want it in my city, I don't know I have mixed feelings on architecture.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    what alot of phallisies (SP)
    its cool were going upwards and not completely covering the planets surface
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    that spire looks like a giant dildo

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. hell yeah it does.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    7 looks like something from Mass Effect or Star Wars.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Dubai sure doesn't know where else to put all those piles of money. laugh.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    The Malaysian one seems resemblant of the building in Kuala Lumpur.

Its cool too see more buildings like the phallic structure springing up now and then.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing architecture in there. Now what about personal homes? I wish here in the US people would get a little bolder in there designs for everyday homes. They are so damn cookie cutter, bleh!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Problem is, people want to make their homes as cheaply as possible, and adding odd shapes just for design typically is more money than people are willing to shell out.

Have you ever watched HGTV for "What's up with that house?" There are still individuals making odd homes, but as expected, there's typically people in the neighborhood pissed that the house isn't normal.
  • TheCollect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Problem is, people want to make their homes as cheaply as possible, and adding odd shapes just for design typically is more money than people are willing to shell out.

Have you ever watched HGTV for "What's up with that house?" There are still individuals making odd homes, but as expected, there's typically people in the neighborhood pissed that the house isn't normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, i love that, being the odd man out, you get a nice suburban town, and build a big effin house shaped like a pirate ship and shit, ur driveway is a big plank and you have huge treasure boxes scattered out on the lawn and stuff...that;d be great, esp. in a really rich place haha
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Chicago - My mom lives is view of where the "giant dildo" is coming up. It looks ugly at first glace. I'm right there with you Maury. Looks like a christmas candle decoration you;d buy in a dollar store. I saw the foundation being built for it. Giant circular hole with a frame around the edges and a massive core in the middle like a wick through a candle.

These structures are interesting, but they just represent to me "Poor sustainability" for the future.

I wonder what Howard Kunstler would say about all this. smile.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That Chicago drill percing through the ground makes me sad ... It's like a popcorn movie flick prop taken to the max.

I think Koolhaas' #3 wins because there is a sense of urban space here (ie the plazza define by the negative space). #7 looks great in pictures but might end up like a sad, concrete-dirty touristic place...
    Very curious on how #5 will end up looking. Don't know if it fits tho, I would rather see it a a smaller unit kind of building. It actually reminds me of a rough Le Corbsier draft (not built) I saw at school years ago.

Also if you like that kind of stuff check out Paul Rudolph, especially his black and white line/crosshatch drawings - unfortunately googles shows up pretty much none of them.
    http://www.papress.com/images/covers480/1568985517.jpg
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe once the Chicago Spire is built, a giant Unicorn will emerge from the earth. THAT would be cool.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ho Lee Crap. That Dubai one is HUGE!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    A true testament to man's love for his penis. :P

But in all honesty I really like #1. That has the potential to look really incredible in real life, and unlike most buildings which use large forms to define them it uses small details like balconies working together to give a boring shape a unique flow. #3 also has a very good sense of space and should be a great one to see from the ground up.

#2 and #5 are crap though. One belongs in a tampon commercial, and the other one is an Ikea cd rack, as the article stated.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    holy shit these are amazing
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eeew @ #5... i DONT wanna see that built... do NOT!

what happened to the plans for making the worlds tallest building @ noida? nooo those had to get scrapped.. instead we're left with THIS?!! eew

the rest are pretty cool though!
    chaching though.. like LOTSA expenses
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the future is now.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I lived in Dubai when they started the construction of burj dubai. its going to be the tallest building but they are already starting on another building that is going to be 1200 meters... this one is called The Al Burj.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    The burj dubai kinda looks like something you would build with blocks as a child :P
  • copain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is about time this type of organic architecture started making it in the real world, this style has been on architects minds for a while.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe once the Chicago Spire is built, a giant Unicorn will emerge from the earth. THAT would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

CHARRRRRLIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! candy mountain charlie!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i still want to live in a tree house

its just hard to find one with enough sockets to fill my needs