Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

If this is your first day at polycount...

then you gotta....count polys?

haha, fight club references aside, i'd like to say hello to you all, and that I'm happy to be here, i currently go to school in Manhattan for maya, im very glad to say that im happy with modeling as a chosen carrier, and I was hoping that some of you fine gentlemen would assist me =)

Okey, here goes, this is what im working on ATM, i dont know what its for, but its some sort of motorcycle...maybe if you guys would give me some ideas, maybe i can gear it toward a game?

anything would be appricated!

heres a WIP http://mikeamen3d.com/current/bike_render1.jpg
http://mikeamen3d.com/current/bike_render2.jpg

=D

Replies

• arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i never was at a school were i could learn anything about cad and i got a job for architecturial presentation today ahaha

you bike looks good, but the wheel could use some more polies to look smoother^^
    and overall dare to add more details i think the teachers would be pleased lolol
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey man, if you want to add images, stick and either side of the url (no spaces), and it will appear in the thread
  • TheCollect
    haha, nice gettin a job, i need one of those myself...haha

bike_render2.jpg

im starting to make it one mesh now, thats another Q i wanted to pitch, how many polys should the wheels be? im aiming this bike at like 3K polys...meybe more, or less, no clue, im just goin' and goin'....

hopefully tonights the same too.... =D

also if anyone has any certain use for a motorcycle such as this, in a game: tell me how you want it, il give it a shot and il give you the OBJ
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    more, an average ut2004 character has 4000, so aim for at least 5000 hehe
  • TheCollect
    yeah? i think i can do some cool stuff with 5K, more then what i intended, whats the map size? also what sorta maps can i use?

UT, if i remmeber takes only tris, it takes only texture, and spec? or if u got a better engine...wow i just typed engina three times before i got that right...haha
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    this was just an example for a game that runs everywhere^^
    dont worry about sizes and stuff, this comes when you choose an engine to show it in^^
    this phase of the progress is called "optimisation"
  • TheCollect
    well yeah, but i wanna use a easy to work with engine, which do you suggest? im not as new to modeling as i am to game modeling haha...

but overall which engine should I shoot for? i think the UT2k4 with a polycount of 5K, and if they use spec maps, then i'll go with that, since i wanna use a spec map for this reallllly bad =D

rawr
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    i you just want to view it, you could use a viewport shader or crazybump
    otherwise you can use whatever you want with an editor, but the unreal engines are very easy to use for developpers, you could also use ute :P

for only using diff + spec you could also use b3d, its crappy but fits for gamedesign beginners (there is also a b3d pipeline out there for 3dsmax 5-8)
  • TheCollect
    hmmm, view port shader eh?...

sometimes i forget about model viewers like that...do you know of any viewer that takes, normal, spec, diff?

or would a viewport shader suffice?

(p.s. ganna google view port shader right now)
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    3dsmax dx9 shader meterial...

crazybump has a pretty neat modelviewer, just as i said
    and xnview too (supports even more maps than crazybump)
  • TheCollect
    im ganna give xnview a shot since i use maya =D
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    looks almost like an R6 or a CBR.

what reference are you using?
  • TheCollect
    i dont really know, it's a ducati of some kind, 990, haha, sorry bro, i just copied the pic from a blueprint site, and slashed it up to a side and front view, and like "BS'ed" and pictured from other bikes and made stuff up, you ride?

cuase i dont haha =D

(wish i did tho)
  • Prs-Phil
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    very cool dude, I like the way you distribute your mesh, in maya! as a new guy! wink.gif

i did a quick paintover for minor tweaks

sorry for the simpleness of the drawings, but I hope the help support ideas for distributing vertics at crucial rounded points like the windshield (unless it's really that sharp)

just quick notes to move some vertices to give it more volume, if you see the mesh as lines with a vertex in a curve being the highest ploint from where the surface extends fa. you can use little effort and recource to describe a lot of surface

on the wheel, I know many (maybe oldschool or the idea of that is bonkers anyway but counting seems to proove otherwise) would point that out, but if you loos the vertex int the middle of your wheel you can save polys, if you want to mirror your texture you still have a dividing line horizontally or vertically

under the seat you have this funky square with 2 rows of edges running through it that aren't really doing anything, i think you could loose them or round it off, dunno, i don't really know motorbikes to well wink.gif

here goes

bike.jpg

oh, and welcome allthough i'm not that present here laugh.gif

and sorry for the crappy handwriting
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    It is a good start, but a few issues with poly distribution. Even though Prs-Phil just said he liked the way "you distribute your mesh".
    The wheels bother the hell out of me... Way too low poly in comparison to everything else. That diamond shape in the middle of the bike has so many cuts in there and I have no idea what they are doing to improve the shape of the bike.
    The seat needs rounding off (like Prs-Phil pointed out in the paintover).
    Keep at it, and welcome to Polycount.

-caseyjones
  • TheCollect
    thank you guys, for the much needed imput, i know the wheels are low poly, was hopin someone can suggest an idea for them, i dint notice how many cuts were in that diamond casey, ur right there are alot for nothing,and phil, ur right i gotta cup the windshield...altough i gotta work one out, theres nothing on the other side of that haha, but im ganna check that wierd square thing out too, and il see about roundin that corner off =D thanks, keep em cominnnnnnn
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Give the wheels more shape. Right now I keep thinking Flintstones when I look at them. They look like someone chiseled them out of rocks. Create a difference between the rim and tire, then add round up the tire by beveling up the side edges.
  • TheCollect
    Okey guyssss, took a night off, but heres some work on it, put some more polys on teh wheels, spread some of my verts around a bit better, edded a little "conard"(?) wree the feet are ganna be put on the pegs, and a little vent thing toward the back, going to start the seat now, to make it an acual "seat" so heres how its coming...and i'd like some suggestions for the windshield aswell =)

bike_render3.jpg
  • TheCollect
    update....any suggestions let me knowwww, i need help for the fronttttt!

=)

bike_render4.jpg
  • dabu
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    looking good so far, might want to flesh out the drive train where it connects to the rear wheel. looking really sparse right now, how about a brake rotor, shocks, etc...

gtr_detail2.jpg
  • dabu
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    and handlebars, and mirrors, etc...
  • TheCollect
    good idea, ganna add the back wheel stuff, and i got a good idea for the bars and front =D ty guyss
  • TheCollect
    bike_render5.jpg

ne suggestions for the front, like the windshield? any would be nice, if not il figure somethin out haha, thanks for the pic of the back wheel too BTW...that was helpfull!

...im thinking of using alpha as spokes, and a spring that wraps in a coil...wudda you think?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    poly the spokes in.
  • TheCollect
    hey, got some updates...dont know what imma do to attach the mirror...but i figured im ganna do some overall tweaking a bit...then meybe i'll hammer out the consoles....tell me what you think =)

kinda doin a little "face" in the front...prolly like a mean shark looking thing thats "spray painted" on the bike..idk i guess il play with it but here it is

bike_render6.jpg
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    you probably don't need all those extra edges in the forks unless you're planning on doing something really fancy, I think 8-10 sided cylinders would probably match the rest of the model fairly well.

But if it's temporary, ignore me, laugh.gif

btw, is it just me or are the tires on a real bike less edgey and more rounded?
  • TheCollect
    think the tires arent rounded enough? damn how can i improve them? =)

also, thats a temp thing for the fork haha, ur guess was right lol

more too come soon =) i got school tom. night ganna show teacher....
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    well depending on how much geometry you have budgeted, you can either add 1 or 2 more loops to each wheel and scale accordingly to create the roundness... or use the existing 2 loops there and scale them closer to each other and smoothing groups might give the effect.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    A couple things.

bikeph3.jpg

Secondly, if you are going to make them relatively simple, you would be better off modeling the spokes instead of using a double sided alpha map. For platforms it would be a bigger performance hit doing that than simply adding a few hundred more tris.
  • TheCollect
    yeah, someone told me about that way before, but the fork and handlebars are just place holders, im def. ganna add more to the wheels, but thanks for the tip on the wheel, and spokes, il prolly model in some spokes later =)

rawr
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding the spokes instead of alpah will look better, AND use about the same amount of polygons that you already have.
  • TheCollect
    ayyy, got an update, going to see what i can do for the handle bars and the powertrain next, meybe add some shocks and stuff, i think im ganna make the wheels like some sort of strong iron disks, rather then spokes, or an odd variant of spokes, i dont know yet, but here it is so far!

bike_render7.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't the back wheel usually thicker than the front?
  • TheCollect
    that was a Q i was ganna pitch next, i think thats the case right? the front tire is smaller right?

funny my teacher said the same thing as a first thought too haha, anything else?