Home General Discussion

id Software's game RAGE rated TEEN Online petition

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Rage's art style is clean and high fantasy, to me, more than grimey and horror. I think the puffs of smoke style will suit it awesomely, and you should quit whining and let iD make their game. If when it comes out I just can't get into it because nobody's head is torn in half, i'll admit i was wrong, but I don't really expect that to happen.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So are you saying we are going to see gore in the game? My guess is we aren't

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither actually. smile.gif And my guess, since the man Carmack himself has spoken, is that we aren't.

I can't speak too much about this stuff without sounding like a hypocrite, since as much as I think gore or non-gore in a game like this doesn't matter, I'll still whip out my Lancer and hop over barricades just to get a gratuitous chainsaw kill, cos it makes me feel like a badass.

And at blowing things out of proportion...you are succeeding on yourself only. smile.gif I doubt the id guys seriously sat down and deliberated whether or not they should have gore in the game. Heck, from a production pov, the work involved vs. the perceived increase in fun is still a bit iffy. There are tons of other design choices to make that have a larger effect on how fun the final game actually is but you knew that...

That is of course just plain speculation...
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon9177 polycounter lvl 18
    whining, I'd say complaining would be more accurate. We all know there will be a sequel to Gears of War and I will get my gore fix. It has some fantasy elements but when you bring guns into the mix... and no blood. Well its like mustard in my ice cream or something.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    when you bring guns into the mix... and no blood. Well its like mustard in my ice cream or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't see how that could be. Plenty of movies and games have bloodless gunfights. The matrix lobby battle against the paramilitary guards, for example doesn't have a single drop of blood (-- although there is blood when the first few security guards are killed.)
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is pretty sad id would do this, when a best-seller like Mass Effect has full-on hardcore alien sex.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, Warhammer Online has crucified dwarfs and we're going for a Teen rating
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by Jimmies_the_squirrel
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmies, you aren't getting any more clever. Just stop it, man.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i love gore in games, but i would never presume to tell someone what to do in a game they are making. especialy a company with the track record that id has.

theres starving whales in india being clubbed to death in cages to have fur coats made out of them.

but your petition worthy cause is telling another game company how to make their game.

will you play this game with a teen rating?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No that's just what the ESRB slaps on them. How did they SELL?

While we're using questionable articles on the net as sources:
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33786/98/
    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/11/study-m-rated-games-have-higher-scores-better-sales/
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why would they try to make Id games more gory? Good for them for doing something deferent
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jimmies, you aren't getting any more clever. Just stop it, man.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I know.
    I'm done, I promise.
    Anyways, in a related thought;
    I don't care how much violence there is as long as it's a fun game. Last time I bought a game for the gore was Gears of War, and I regretted that because I cannot stand that game for anything more than co-op and furious blood wanking.
    IT may take a way from the "realism" but honestly that's never really bothered me with games, so long as they're fun.
    Amirite?
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    why would they try to make Id games more gory? Good for them for doing something deferent

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the link between gore and doing something different. Gore is your reward for killing enemies the way I see it. Doing something different to me is what id Software said would be the premise of the game. 60 percent combat 40 percent driving. Removing gore isn't doing something different really. Would we applaud them for removing rag doll physics? Applaud them for taking on vehicles not removing gore. That doesn't make sense.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would applaud them for taking ragdolls out, yes. well done animations would be different and awesome.
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i love gore in games, but i would never presume to tell someone what to do in a game they are making. especialy a company with the track record that id has.

theres starving whales in india being clubbed to death in cages to have fur coats made out of them.

but your petition worthy cause is telling another game company how to make their game.

will you play this game with a teen rating?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not intentionally telling id Software how to make their game. All I set out to do was express my disappointment about the removal of gore that has been in all their past games. I spoke with a few other people and saw some posts about other people feeling the same way so I set up the petition just to setup a place where people can voice their opinion on that specific issue. Its up to id what they're going to do. If the petition is sucessful maybe it gives id pause and they include it and make a better game (I don't see it happening though). If its not then thats fine with me.

I think DOOM 3 was entertaining and not necessarily a good game. So this time around I think that id needs to use their strengths (which happens to be twisted displays of gore). So they need to use their strengths (all of them) along with their new idea for RAGE which I think is great as described so far.

Will I pass on a game based on a rating? I honestly don't know. It depends on reviews, game footage, and what I hear about the game. I'm not in this fixed mindset that I won't play the game evar if it doesn't have gore. I loved battlefield 1942 and that was rated TEEN. It did something that hadn't been done before and eclipsed the need for gore. I hope if id is going TEEN with this game they can find something as well. But Gears of War to me was able to do both.
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I would applaud them for taking ragdolls out, yes. well done animations would be different and awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, I didn't consider the substitute when I said that. Good point. Guess I am THAT used to ragdoll physics that I honestly had forgotten about death animations. haha, whooo its late.

I wonder how a blending of rag doll physics and death animations would work? To have death animations near a wall could cause the characters to lay down into that wall clipping through it. I remember the Shamblers in Quake. Maybe some type of zoning could be done for delicate areas like stairs for instance.

That would be cool.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, I didn't consider the substitute when I said that. Good point. Guess I am THAT used to ragdoll physics that I honestly had forgotten about death animations. haha, whooo its late.

I wonder how a blending of rag doll physics and death animations would work? To have death animations near a wall could cause the characters to lay down into that wall clipping through it. I remember the Shamblers in Quake. Maybe some type of zoning could be done for delicate areas like stairs for instance.

That would be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
    http://www.naturalmotion.com/euphoria.htm
    ?
    I'm all for expanding of death animations.
    I still prefer them to ragdoll, because it's lost it's novelty long ago. I'm getting sick of shooting someone in the face and seeing them flop flaccidly to the ground. I'm getting really sick of shooting someone in the leg and then having them reset a few inches off the ground, and dropping. Lame.
    No one dies like that, I liked the ragdoll in the newest Turok, actually. They'd fall holding where they were shot, and occasionally twitch or flail on their way down.
    Cool stuff.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    While we're at it, fuck models. Just use sprites for the baddies.

Rore, we've gone a long way since Hitman47. Take a look at CoD4 or R6 Vegas and you might realize we've come a long way since then. Those animations you're talking about? Yeah, we can blend them. You can even see it as early in Metroid Prime.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    To the original poster, way to blow a direct quote out of proportion

[/ QUOTE ]

So all I did was quote him, throw out and support my opinion that it should be there.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are failing to realize is that the quote was a completely off-the-cuff remark, and it's not as if they had ExplodoCorpse™ v2.03 already built into the engine and then all of a sudden decided, "whoa, hold on there John, we're going to go for a teen rating this time so you better just scrap the ExplodoCorpse™ altogether." He was obviously just referring to gore in general, and exploding bodies was the first thing that came to mind. You seem to be really hung up specifically on exploding bodies for some reason.

I think that's what Snowfly meant by blowing the quote out of proportion.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well ok.. by stating that if the game was good you would still probably play it just makes your petition completely pointless. why on earth would they change plans if the petition starter himself.. would still play the game without gore.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe they want to appeal to a larger audiance. The game itself wont be better or worse cause of that IMO. and anyway, if u want gore, just go play SOF. Everyone as the right to their own opinion but a petition for that gore shit is just fuucking R O F L
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    well ok.. by stating that if the game was good you would still probably play it just makes your petition completely pointless. why on earth would they change plans if the petition starter himself.. would still play the game without gore.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the petition I never called for "not playing the game". Read more carefully. I did however say that if you feel you will not play this game due to this issue please note it in your comments. I left that option open for people signing the petition. I'm Brian McLeland the first signer and I never said that I wouldn't play the game definitively.

What the petition says.

"To: id Software
    FANS OF ID SOFTWARE SPEAK OUT! The new IP/game "RAGE" from id Software is breaking with tradition by TAMING DOWN the level of GORE to the point of making the game rated "TEEN".

If you want id Software to make the game "RAGE" a mature/rated M game by including excessive gore that was present in their past games, please sign this petition. If you see this as id Software's way to appeal to a larger market and think the experience of the game will suffer as a result, please sign this petition. If you plan to not purchase this game when released due to this issue please make a note of it in your comments.

Thanks!

"We did make the decision that, 'Yeah, the game would probably be a little bit more fun with exploding bodies, but it won't kill us to keep it down at a T rating," - John Carmack

Sincerely,

The Undersigned"

I said I don't know in my post first! and then go on to explain reasons why I might play this game. Your reading things that aren't there. My petition is that I would urge id Software to add gore. Also read John Carmacks quote carefully. He said

"We did make the decision that, 'Yeah, the game would probably be a little bit more fun with exploding bodies, but it won't kill us to keep it down at a T rating," - John Carmack

"We did make the decision that..." To me that means they've come to an assesment that gore isn't nessecary in the game, and are likely proceeding with that plan. If you look at the trailer there is no gore at all, and it looks strange. I believe that given the world they are making which I backed up with the screenshots. I have not contradicted myself. I left an option for people to say they won't play the game based on this issue in the comments. Notice that I didn't ever comment I wouldn't play the game based on there being no gore. I just left that open for people who feel that way. Maybe you didn't understand that you can argue a point about the game without outright condeming it. Thats what I was trying to do. I see what I think is a mistake that will hinder the game and I focused ont that.

I didn't make a petition saying "We the undersigned won't play the game if it doesn't have gore." I just left that option open for people to voice in the petition if anyone feels that way.

Try reading the things carefully. I know with all the posts I've made trying to backup my stance maybe that point was lost.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh my fucking christ, you're reading into this quote WAY too much. Go play a game or something.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah. Now if this were Fallout and they said there wouldn't be any more crazy critical hit gibs I'd be foaming at the mouth.
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh my fucking christ, you're reading into this quote WAY too much. Go play a game or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting a,little worked up over a thread that started over my opinion. Yet you keep posting here. Go post in a different thread or something. I will keep responding to clarify and backup my point. If you don't agree thats fine but calm down.

Nobody is forcing any of you to keep this thread alive. I didn't come over to your house and make you read this! You chose to come here very well knowing my stance and what you were likely to find in this thread. I respect your opinion on the issue, I just disagree with it. Why can't we keep it on that level?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no YOU don't get it.. i don't care what you stated..

I'm saying lets say i'm carmack i look at your petition

"hmm these six people want us to change our plans and add gore to the game... but they will still play the game without gore."

what is his motivation to bend to your will if you don't even care enough to not play the game without gore.

its like petitioning mcdonalds to change to health food. but also stating in the petition "oh we will still eat here anyways if you ignore the petition"

oh.. how old are you?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Three pages in and nobody called this yet?

Troll post!

I love ya, polycount, but ya'll gotta wise up to these kids.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAHA pst armagon, marketing 101. try posting about your petition over at gamespot, you'll have no trouble filling it up with e-mail addresses there.

they're dropping priceless bombs like
    "ID aiming for a T rating.

Gaming = dead."

T RATING = YOU SOLD YOURSELFS SHAME ON YOU
    the rest is uber cool"

It's the end of the work day here. posting in this thread is strangely stress relieving...
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I said I don't know!!! You can't seem to read. I am saying to id that. These people think your game will suffer as a result of making the game rated TEEN, then I left an opton for people to say I won't play this game if its rated TEEN.

Whats the motivation? If the petition is sucessful then id will know there are people out there that would prefer to play the game with gore. And they will also know how many in the petition will not buy the game outright because of the rating.

Its a petition saying I think you are making THIS mistake. Look at it as customer feedback. I won't say that I won't ever play the game because it might be great. I'm saying that its a mistake to create RAGE without gore because of the setting and the look of the game. If this petition shows that fans are disappointed that there is no gore and maybe 30 percent won't buy the game then maybe they will think about the issue. Thats their motivation IMO.

waiting for next post to misinterprate what I posted......
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    HAHAHA pst armagon, marketing 101. try posting about your petition over at gamespot, you'll have no trouble filling it up with e-mail addresses there.

they're dropping priceless bombs like
    "ID aiming for a T rating.

Gaming = dead."

T RATING = YOU SOLD YOURSELFS SHAME ON YOU
    the rest is uber cool"

It's the end of the work day here. posting in this thread is strangely stress relieving...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad idea, oh BTW dig your artwork. Never knew April was so hott. NICE.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon9177 you are fighting a losing battle in the eyes of the majority here. You came looking for soldiers to join your army and found it hard to recruit from the polycount ranks. Now by posting monster replies to defend your weak position, you are keeping your thread alive by turning it into a spectacle.

You are right, no one is holding a gun to anyones head making them come here. But choosing to go on monster rants and throwing a temper tantrum will certainly get people in here to watch you self destruct. If you want to piss your 49 posts of creditability away over this stupid issue I won't stop you, in fact it will entertaining. But don't get mad at other people when they call it like they see it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i havent misinterped anything. i know exactly what you are about.
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    armagon9177 you are fighting a losing battle in the eyes of the majority here. You came looking for soldiers to join your army and found it hard to recruit from the polycount ranks. Now by posting monster replies to defend your weak position, you are keeping your thread alive by turning it into a spectacle.

You are right, no one is holding a gun to anyones head making them come here. But choosing to go on monster rants and throwing a temper tantrum will certainly get people in here to watch you self destruct. If you want to piss your 49 posts of creditability away over this stupid issue I won't stop you, in fact it will entertaining. But don't get mad at other people when they call it like they see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mad at all. I'm suprised, I thought I'd get more supporters. All I am trying to do with the monster posts is to clarify my position. "I could even say my quotes are taken WAY out of context." Just trying to clarify and get back on subject. Social suicide on a forum does not bother me if I feel strongly about the issue.

My postition is not weak at all. It is here, but I guarantee there are thousands of gamers out there who would agree with me. They just don't seem to be here. Anyways, there are other people who are getting pissed off and snapping at me. Thats not getting defensive thats fact. I just want to discuss the issue.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well then for gods sake go and find those people. and i guarantee that id have enough experience in this biz that they would not do this if they thought it would not be profitable. I also don't think its the end of gore for them. Its just not what they chose to do with this game to reach a larger audience.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armagon, when you run into a wall you turn around and go in another direction. You don't go run into it again and again.

But hey, it's amusing for everyone watching, so keep at it.
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Armagon, when you run into a wall you turn around and go in another direction. You don't go run into it again and again.

But hey, it's amusing for everyone watching, so keep at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please try and keep on subject. Let's discuss the issue, and not social advice for armagon. It seems to me that people can't discuss an issue here without letting it effect them personally.

"Jesus Fucking Christ!" thats kinda an an emotional outburst. IMO We have completely strayed from debate. If we can't get back on topic then let this thread die. I'm putting forth the effort cause earlier I heard some really worthwhile opinions even if they didn't support my stance. If you can't focus on that please don't post. Thankyou.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    And, today's quote, brought to you by bash.org http://bash.org/?839112

<Evan> Real Swiss chocolate? Like from actual Sweden?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread would have died on page one if you hadn't posted nonstop, notwithstanding that nobody really cared very much, or even agreed with you; thus the wall analogy.

We either don't care, or think you're wrong. Let it go.

Or not, as I said, forum member implosions are fun to watch.
  • armagon9177
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the maturity level here is strikingly low. A quote of the day which has no relevance and someone continuing to give me social advice. Thread is dead.

But keep an eye on the petition, it will grow. Take care people. Thanks for those who made this an intelligent debate in the beginning. peace.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Attempting to re-rail a train wreck is hard, but hey let me try and get some useful info out of ya...

- What teeth does the petition have if its founder will still buy and enjoy the game?

- What do you think the chances are of getting a petition to envoke any kind of change if it has no teeth?

- Even if you manage to raise an army do you really think it is your place to tell an industry leader how to grow new IP?

- Who do you think is the better judge as to what is best for the game?
    A) 10,000 fanboi's who daily get their panties in a bunch over just about anything.
    Or
    B) The people actually creating the game, know the goal of the game (make money by providing a fun experience), have made previous games and will continue to make gore fests but just have chosen with this one to not take that extreme of a route, this time?

- What exactly makes you think that gore is the only hallmark of good games and that you can't have a good game without it?

- What types of other games have you played?

- What kind of people do you want signing your petition?
    A) Gore addicts that will not let themselves enjoy anything but gore.
    B) Fanboi's that feel like they are being robbed but really aren't.
    C) Morons who sign stuff just for fun.
    D) Intelligent people who make informed decisions and don't fly off the handle at internetz quotez.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    And, today's quote, brought to you by bash.org http://bash.org/?839112

<Evan> Real Swiss chocolate? Like from actual Sweden?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, and we also make excellent watches here in Sweden laugh.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Yah, this thread has pretty much run its course. Move along...
This discussion has been closed.