Home Technical Talk

Unity Engine

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Hey I recently came across this and from what I can see its really good. I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with it and wether they would recommend it?

http://unity3d.com/unity/

Replies

• rube
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    one limitation would be that it only seems to run on a Mac... at least that's the only platform you can dl the demo for. I guess you can save your games for windows as well though.
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I haven't had the chance to play with it much but I've talk to Poop online a bit about it and he seemed very pleased with it, especially compared to Torque.

Rube already said the biggest downfall of it... you can only develop on a Mac but can publish to Mac/PC/web.

A great place for checking out various engines and first hand reviews is at:
    http://www.devmaster.net/engines/

Unity is on the right side for top commercial engines so see what some devs say about it there.
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    be aware that garagegames (makers of torque) are a sponser of devmaster.net, hence they tend to influence rankings over there...

unity is indeed well done, similar featureset as luxinia, cept they have more graphical editors, whilst lux is more light weight and script oriented. From looking at some of their demos however, while they all look nice on screenshots and the website does a great job on presenting a lot of features, in detail imo certain stuff (especially the lighting demo with shadows) lacked quite a bit. Then again those are real hard topics which mostly are only found being really well done in top engines.

Unity is developped on PC actually mostly (read blog of a coder there), I think it is a strategic decision they only offer it on Mac. Less competition, they build up a good reputation there, and then once they have enough users and robustness into all their stuff, they will enter the much harder PC market. Thats my interpretation / prediction.

there is one thing I think many "engine seekers" end very often artists are fooled by, and that is nice images. As you know the art is independent from the engine. Yet engines with lots of nice art, will attract more people, eventhough other stuff might lack, and same goes for good engines with lack of good art.

I would always look for samples and tutorials first, and really "redo them" to see if stuff really is as promised.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive talked to the guys where I work they are keen to see what unity may be able to do for us. There are a few spare macs at work so I will see if I can give it a try on monday when one of those is free to use.

I get the idea you guys are saying though.
    good artists and programmers = good games not just good engines

Seems really strange to me that its still mac only, they are already on version 2.0 , I would expect them to want to take over the online indie market the way they are showing all these features.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    WW2Online uses Unity. Pretty impressive, all things considered.
  • nkoste
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I can recommend it. I've been using it for several projects and it's very easy to use and for the price it's excellent.

Mac users is their market and they're doing really well there. They've expanded like hell the past few years.
    I had a small seminar with these guys a couple of years ago and since that the engine has just gotten better and better.

This small design firm use their engine for most of their projects. Try and check out some of their demos:

http://shiftcontrol.dk/project/25
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it is pretty cool! I got working on it for a few hours today and managed to bring in a simple environment and a few assets and walk around it all like an fps, I also placed 5 lights. Runs really well. Pity I cant enable shadows in the indie.
  • nkoste
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Yes that sucks big time! But if you're a company you should be able to acquire some pro licenses, right?
  • Jarrod1937
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    I'd recommend the C4 engine over Unity. A full license with all features and source starts at $200, more indie friendly imo.
    Only thing is, C4 currently lacks a good terrain solution, but the next few updates for C4 (which you get free updates with the license), includes a majorly upgraded terrain system.
    The engine also runs on both windows and mac, and allows development on either.
    http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/features.php
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Did some more work on it today. I figured out how collision detection works and brought in a collision mesh. Then I figured out how to use uvmapped textures and imported those, it didnt like .c4d model files though:(. Finally I added some physics objects and messed around with them. Not bad for one days work...compared to working in director 3D its certainly a step up.

Jarrod1937 I dont know what the C4 engine is like but that interface on the features page doesnt give me confidence. It could be just as good as unity for all i know but Im going to stick with what I think is best.
  • Jarrod1937
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, understandable, just thought i'd suggest it.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hey I found someone has put some fake AO in the unity web player, I thought people might like to see hehe. http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=9323