Home General Discussion

Cloverfield

Replies

• Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    WARNING - MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

I just got back from the theaters seeing this film and decided it was time I read the entire thread. I have been putting it off since the release of the film.
    Now... I can't decide if I really enjoyed this film, or really hated it! Maybe its both and for different reasons. I had no issues with it being 'shaky cam', nor did it make me feel nauseous. It looked and felt how I expected a handy-cam to look and feel. Some shots were a little too perfect, but that's understandable, you need to have some clarity to make it work.
    I missed the satellite falling from the sky in the final shot! GAY! My housemate didn't spot it either. Though we did stick around at the end and heard the static, my housemate was saying some shit at the time so he missed it. And I went on for about half hour how he just missed the most crucial part of the film (even though I had no idea what the static said), hahaha! Good times.
    Seemed believable, not drastically over the top. Though I did want more, but I knew I wouldn't get it. So I just accepted that, and enjoyed it more for what it was.
    I personally don't want to see a sequel, I think it ended exactly where it should have. Everyone dies, no happy ending, you're left with more questions than answers. SOLID!

-caseyjones
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    SPOILER::::

not everyone died, the chick that I think was Jason's girlfriend got out on the first helicopter. the girl in the dark dress.

And was it a satellite? My wife didn't catch it, but I did, I just figured it was the alien falling to earth since it was filmed one month before the action took place and it came from the water.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahahah Pior, Was it Dubbed in FRENCH! or original french Quebecois? LOL!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    And was it a satellite? My wife didn't catch it, but I did, I just figured it was the alien falling to earth since it was filmed one month before the action took place and it came from the water.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It was a sattelite. It's part of the ARG story.

The monster has lived in the depths of the ocean for thousands of years according to Abrams.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

not everyone died, the chick that I think was Jason's girlfriend got out on the first helicopter. the girl in the dark dress.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, she didnt. right after the second helicopter takes off, you see another helicopter come flying down in a ball of fire and crash right by them while they are taking off. it's quite probably that lily was in that helicopter.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't read that much into it, didn't know about all the other outside things attached to the movie and missed the 1st helicopter crash.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    SPOILER

Apparently the satellite is one of Tagruatos, the company behind Slusho! and when they go to retrieve it, they awaken Clovie. It is hard to see if you don't know to look for it. Its on the right side of the screen right at the end.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, she didnt. right after the second helicopter takes off, you see another helicopter come flying down in a ball of fire and crash right by them while they are taking off. it's quite probably that lily was in that helicopter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    A lot of people say it was a jeep or car of some sort.

Plus, if I heard right, form a guy that works at a division of Paramount, Lily getting away plays into the sequel.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    Small Spoiler on monster details::::::

i just got back from seeing this, it came out a little later in South Korea than in the US. I thought this movie was awesome. The camera shaking didn't bother me at all, and I thought it was a great way to do a movie like this. I agree some of the shots were too good, but it is a movie after all. I liked not knowing much at all about the monster, although the little spider things bothered me. They were coming off the big monster, but seemed much more arachnid than the big guy was, he seemed more amphibious to me. Thats about my only gripe. I really liked that I didn't recognize a single actor in the movie, that really helped it suck me in. If Edward Norton or someone had been in it, it would have killed the feel. I'm actually not hoping for a sequel, it ended right where it should.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i ached it it was a good movie loved the ending thats all i goota say about it :P
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    WTF is ARG

[/ QUOTE ]
    Alternate Reality Game
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Official hasbro toy.
    I thought it moved like a walking bat when I saw the movie. Now that I see it clear, most elements certainly look like a bat. Interesting stuff. Though I thought the beast had more girth in the movie? Looks like this one is on a diet.

cloverfieldtoy1.jpg
    clvoerfieldtoy3.jpg
    cloverfieldtoy2.jpg
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    saw this last night.

looks like CRAP.

color scheme is wrong. should be darker and the 'lungs' on the side of the head should be orange/red.
    the pose is wrong. at no point did the creature stand like that. it walked on it's knuckles. the body was held parralel to the ground not at an angle like a gorrilla. and the front arms were held in a forward position with the elbow more to the front of the head, not held out to the side.
    it's missing the little arms/paddles on the body.
    the feet convey none of the blubbery/biggness shown in the move.
    the tail looks wrong.
    the face isnt there yet. should be a flatter (more like a rancor)

i really hope this is an early prototype. if it's final production standards, then i'm keeping my $$$.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, I thought it had more of a snout, but yeah, looks like a giant wingless bat monster with a fish tail. I would really like to see something on the development of the creature, like what sort ideas went into it, I mean, to my knowledge it looks like no other sea creature, nor looks like it would be in the sea, but there's a lot of weird shit in the sea, so maybe they found something really weird to base it on.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    saw this last night.

looks like CRAP.

color scheme is wrong. should be darker and the 'lungs' on the side of the head should be orange/red.
    the pose is wrong. at no point did the creature stand like that. it walked on it's knuckles. the body was held parralel to the ground not at an angle like a gorrilla. and the front arms were held in a forward position with the elbow more to the front of the head, not held out to the side.
    it's missing the little arms/paddles on the body.
    the feet convey none of the blubbery/biggness shown in the move.
    the tail looks wrong.
    the face isnt there yet. should be a flatter (more like a rancor)

i really hope this is an early prototype. if it's final production standards, then i'm keeping my $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Snem, you know this sucker has like 70 points of articulation, right? You can pose him correctly if you want.

Being an active transformer fan, I'll let you know that the guys at Hasbro that take the pics are terrible. They can never pose anything correctly to save their lives. Oh yeah, and Hasbro hates paint applications, so I'm sure the things on the side of the head are going to stay that way. Sucks, I know.

Look at what they did to the Marvel Legends line.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the paint job bothers you, there's nothing that says you can't repaint it. Just some acrylic and some matte and gloss varnish should do the trick.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that toy looks pretty crap. Completely the wrong color. It looks pretty odd.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    wow, that toy is not very similar to the monster I thought I saw in the movie
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If the paint job bothers you, there's nothing that says you can't repaint it. Just some acrylic and some matte and gloss varnish should do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but at 100 bucks, I'd expect to not have to do anything to it.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PedramK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apparently i walked to the toilet right before the arachnid bastards showed up so i missed it all...shit..
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'm sure at the end the voice in the static says "paralyzed".

yeah I only just got around to seeing it. Good movie.

I thought mission impossible 3 was a crock, but JJ has now got me thinking he's a genius.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    I certainly dont remember that toy in the film I saw.