Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Strike Gundam Model

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
Just registered here and I hope I'll enjoy my stay. smile.gif

Here's one of my latest projects. It's finished on the modeling stage and I got it rigged. Now I'm planning for UV mapping and texturing.
gundam_beta_rig.jpg

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow thats a really neat gundum well done! Ive seen quite a few gundam models but they are often simplified or loose the essence of the original but this looks really Gundam to me. It will be nice to see what you can do with some lighting and textures, though the original characters werent very interesting in terms of textures were they?
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    That's a really nice model. I'd love to see that textured like it just went through hell; all banged up and scratched.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    nice!

wires? polycount?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Looks Gundam to me, but you should post some niec closeups and wires on how its built.

Now texture the scratches and wear.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the nice words! smile.gif

Polycount is at approximately 60 000 tris.

Sounds great that you want a dirty and worn out texture on it since that is what I'm planning. smile.gif

I'll see if I get some time to throw together some nice construction shots.

Cheers. smile.gif
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick experiment with rendering layers and positioning 3d space to fit into a photography. I'm planning to UV-map it right after the Christmas weekend cause then I will have the time.
    Have a look at this in the meantime. smile.gif

gundam_enviroment.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    dang i think once the final textures are done and some really bad ass lighting is added to this guy and a quick photoshop paintover and this piece will be a total bad ass
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    dang i think once the final textures are done and some really bad ass lighting is added to this guy and a quick photoshop paintover and this piece will be a total bad ass

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. Can't wait to see it when it's done. You've got a good start on the compositing allready.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done uv-mapping folks. laugh.gif
    outUV.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Wow, must have taken some time smile.gif

Model is ace (even though i hate gundam designs), uv is... well... will see what is coming out of it, anyway: GOOD LUCK !
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    It's like I'm looking at a city plan or something, haha.

Good stuff nonetheless though.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Your UV map is going to give me nightmares...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    What the...
    polycount is 60k, why?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'm sorry to say that but these UVs are likely never going to work... Seems like you UVed every single piece as an indivudal gameart objet - but I'm sure you could reuse gradients and color all accross the model... And since this model is more like a film model in term of complexity why not take the whole leg and UV map it from the side for instance? Not perfect, but so much faster.
    Plus the way you organized your layout does not make much sense especially with the peices fighting each other and sitting at an angle. You could do yourself a favor and just put them 'upside up', it will make them much faster to texture (if you even plan to paint the texture traditionnaly I mean). Aslo your pieces are way to close together for ingame use.

I'd say ... with what you have so far, just run a layout script that separates the UVchunks much more to avoid mipmap bleeding and simply bake your render to the texture. You could have saved yourself *hours* by just running an automatic UV script and baking the render to the automatically done layout - automatic layouts are usually a no-no for game models but in that case it wouldn't make much of a difference considering how highly split the current layout is.
    Hope it makes sense?

Mesh looks cool still :P

Edit - obviously my crit was made with gameart in mind. But still if it is intended for film-like use, why taking the hassle of UVmapping that way? Just use procedurals, simple big UVs chunks from the desired angles for the textures overalys, and voila...
    I think I have trouble understanding this model because 1 its not working as an ingame model and 2 not as a film model either becaue of the very hard edges (normal splits?) defining the blocky shapes. For fil m use you are better off with a microbevel to catch light. But if it's just to produce one still image ... why bothering with the UVs? You could just overlay the dirt textures in PS!

I am quite curious to hear what you intend to use it for!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... I could say it's for film use then. For the layout I think I'll split the map into several parts instead. Think it will be easier to work that way, and having it at higher resolution in Maya.

And why bothering mapping it? Well, for the challange, for the practice and everything I might learn from it. I want to at least have a turn table made for it for portfolio purposes and therefore have it looking good from all angles.
    And you suggest me going the easy way and making look "not perfect" which isn't good enough. I want it to look perfect!
    Who wouldn't want that for their work?

And the beveling? I've given that a thought but I don't want to bother with that since I want my model as clean as possible. And still, for softer edges, we have anti-aliasing. Not that soft perhaps, but still.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    thats really amazes me on the uv, how much time doing it?
    did you use a plugin to layout it?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    cooool, but that UV layout aint gonna help you even if you are using massive maps, painting it wil be so slow.

personaly i'd split it into material types (ie armour, bare metal, plastics etc) and lay the uvs so things are more grid like, not to get the most out of the space as thats not realy the point (is it?) but just to make drawing on and lining up decals, panels and other linear details that much easier and faster.

cant wait to see it
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo: Approximately 1.5 weeks. Didn't use any plugin. Everything is done manually. :P

SHEPEIRO: Yep, as I said before. I'll split it into several maps instead, though I wills sort them in parts instead of material type since they're all going to have the same base surface, which later will be covered in paint etc.
    I'm planning to have a map for the head, torso, arm and leg. Arms and legs will have individual maps for their own decals n stuff though I think I'll make them from the same base.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    my gosh! 1 and half week? duuuude! did it give you crazy headaches, didnt you? man! 1 and half week doing a UV, well, maybe in some years we will have to make that, who knows. But hey I do agree with Pior, there´s alot of separated pieces, i know you could be doing this for film, etc, but anyway, this is effort your time anyway, it shows patience.
  • fuxer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuxer polycounter lvl 18
    lol 1.5 week to uvmap maaan,i'd rather trash my model than trying to do that uvmap ehehe,anyway the model looks cool indeed,even though i'm no fan of gundam...at all....
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The thing about the 'perfection' of it is - if this was to be a game mesh you would get soooo many splits that even with your theoretically accurate layout the mipmaps bleeds and oddities it would create would be just as problematic as what you would have with an 'unperfect' layout ie simple side projection of the whole leg for instance. Difference is that one technique takes weeks for the UVs, the other a mere split second :P

BUT it's a film mesh... :P Still I highly doubt that in a film production environment anyone would spend this amount of time on UVs. You could reuse materials, use procedurals for most things, maybe do smart things with UV sets... But then again I'm not sure.

I mean that's the catch for folio pieces ... you'd rather show that you can think outside the box rather than spending a very long time on a pipeline bottleneck that could be solved differently. Well it shows you've got patience so that's not bad :P

Good luck with what's up next!

(ps - what's going on with the boards lately? each time I type m.o.d.e.l it gets deleted once the message is submitted? Is this just on my side?)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I still want it to look good right. Also I used pretty simple procedures in mapping this which might perhaps be why it took so long.

Anyways, here's the new maps.

Head
    strikegundam_uv_head.jpg

Torso
    strikegundam_uv_torso.jpg

Arm
    strikegundam_uv_arm.jpg

Leg
    strikegundam_uv_leg.jpg
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    The layouts are a heck of a lot less chaotic now (though I can barely see them, ha)

Maybe you already planned this, but you might want to consider combining them into one sheet, with area occupying a quadrant ,instead of there being four different maps
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As textures on the model, they will be separate, because then I can keep everything at a higher resolution.
    If I will have them all in the same PSD file I've not decided. Probably not since the file will be 8k x 8k then, and that might get heavy when the layers are increasing in numbers.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats why i would have done it by material. no problems with making sure colours and hues match from sheet to sheet.

but those look alot more managable now.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    my eyes! the goggles do nothing!

can't wait to see this textured
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hah, thats nothing, i've UVmapped models containing 90 000 polygons!
    good work there, looking sweet.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats nothing 2- ive unwrapped levels with over 3 million polys (granted not all on one t-page) =)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting along with texturing. About 75% complete. Left is eventual wear on the paint and some sort of phase shift effect.
    I'm also planning on texturing the sword. smile.gif

gundamtextured_WIP14.jpg
    gundamtextured_WIP13.jpg
    gundamtextured_WIP12.jpg
    gundamtextured_WIP11.jpg
    gundamtextured_WIP10.jpg
    gundamtextured_WIP9.jpg
    gundamtextured_WIP8.jpg
  • _Eclipse_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Eclipse_ polycounter lvl 10
    awesome!

it will be all grayscaled?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i dont get what you tried to accomplish, you made this really messed up uvw, so i assumed that you wanted to get really unique detail in it , but it seems that what you wanted is only a metal texture slapped in it ? also greyscale ? i would go for the color concept you had in the mockup with the photo. this is really weird right now frown.gif
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya I liked it alot more before unwrapped.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it was a bit more complex than just "slap in" a metal texture.
    And the colors will come plus decals. I guess I made myself unclear when I only said "phase shift".
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    right now you have some nice darks tones, mid tones, but your 100% missing any light tones. I suppose if you add some off white tones along with your color (like the first image in this thread) as an overlay it should help that out.

Once thats done I imagine some edge highlights will make this model SING. but- I also imagine that will take forever.

craziest unwrap I have ever seen. how long did that take just out of curiosity?

Oh yeah, and whats the count on this, plus do you feel like posting wires?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah im not getting why you bothered unwraping it yet, add some ....... stuff

details, woven carbon fibre bits, different material types, damage, you have the space use it
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely the occasional paint chipped areas, especially such as around the edges of the feet, knees, elbows, and anywhere else that might see wear and tear... maybe around the cockpit (chest) area, from pilots clambering in and out...
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    perhaps if you post some of the texture flats it will become clear how much time and effort has gone into the texture.

as it stands it is not coming across, though I am looking forward to when it does.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I will stop working on this for the time being so I guess you could call it the final. I know there are some things that could've been done better, and I choose some pretty inefficient ways to work. Still it was a lot of experimenting and I've learned a lot from it. So now I at least know what I should not do on future projects.

Here's a huge amount of pics, and now I'm going to warmup for the coming dominance war! smile.gif

Cheers all!

Renders
    strikegundam_textured_1.jpg
    strikegundam_textured_2.jpg
    strikegundam_textured_3.jpg
    strikegundam_textured_4.jpg
    strikegundam_textured_5.jpg
    strikegundam_textured_6.jpg

Wires
    strike_tex_wire1.jpg
    strike_tex_wire2.jpg

Textures
    strikegundam_tex_head.jpg
    strikegundam_tex_torso.jpg
    strikegundam_tex_arm.jpg
    strikegundam_tex_leg.jpg
    strikegundam_tex_sword.jpg
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good!

The only things I would add might be paint chipping around "frequently contacted edges" like the feet and things, and a bit more grime right at the seams of things...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah...some metallic worn edges on the bevels would definitely make better use of the texture size...by today's standards you can be surprised how much of that you'd find in a texture size like that.

And some chip off and mud traces along the feet where it touched the ground would work nicely too.

Other than that...the sword seems fine

Keep us updated.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Im sure that texture can get a lot more sharper than what it is now.

Still its looking great
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is there blood on the sword?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    That could be oil, maybe.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is blood...

And I've put up a turntable.
    http://www.vimeo.com/621849
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    That is blood...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's blood? Gundams are like 55-60 ft (18 meters) tall. It seems a little hard to believe he went around slaughtering infantrymen or something until his 50 ft long sword was soaked in their blood.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I think it's from when he killed Godzilla. It's Godzilla's blood on the sword.

Very impressive modeling. Wish I could pull something like that off smile.gif
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think it's from when he killed Godzilla. It's Godzilla's blood on the sword.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly. smile.gif