Home General Discussion

Cloverfield

Anyone else seen this yet? I thought it was good, not awesome, but worth seeing at the cinemas. Something a bit different from a plot-line that's been done a thousand times.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    just got back from buying the tickets. going to see it in an hour.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    just got back from seeing it.

sweet stuff. what I expected. was unique.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    i really liked it, the story wasnt what i expected, the sound was quite good and the CG was excellent.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    But was the monster cool? :P
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Apparently it was the giant whale with crabs concept, which I enjoyed thoroughly when I saw it (The concept)
    I have yet to see the movie though.
    SOMEONE POST THE CONCEPT AGAIN
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    You mean this? http://dougbot.com/forum/slushoRar.jpg

That can't be it, that concept was done by Dougbot on conceptart.org for a t-shirt contest or something.

Unless the dude really did design it and it was more viral marketing. Me thinks that's a bit too slick to be true though.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    FYI.

This movie was JUST released today, so any spoilers that end up in this thread will be removed if they are not properly tagged. Enjoy! =]
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    It was most certainly NOT the whale concept. That piece of art was done by a fan after just seeing the trailer and listening to the audio, its on his site.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the monster was pretty fucking cool, yeah smile.gif

nope, not the whale concept. there is one small similarity though....
  • arshlevon
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. It's way more wicked looking than that. smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm seeing it on Sunday morning. Far to many pesky kids on a Friday night opening. People are super rude in Reno. They talk in movies (even though you tell them to stfu) and they use their phone to text...so you get blinded by a close encounters visual symphony of cell screens....BLAH!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    We're all going to see it this afternoon.. I'm excited.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be sure to get there in time to be able to get good seats. You DO NOT want to be sitting up close the way the movie was filmed.
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    I'm going at 2:15.. this thread sold me.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah it totally isn't either of those monsters.

I have to say at first I did think it was the concept one.
    proven wrong.

it's pretty sweet though

oh, and I was in the second row
    O_O
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    motion sickness. very cool fps movie.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    motion sickness. very cool fps movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I missed the last 15 minutes 'cause I couldn't put up with the camera any longer.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, just got back from this, and now I have a headache and I want to puke. This would have been alot better movie, minus the ohh we have to have shaky cam to make you feel part of it. When did this become great cinematography, I swear all you need to do is a line of coke and you can be a cameraman now a days. Other than that, it was humorous in some parts, but I wouldn't call it fantastic.

Spark
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Shaky-cam bothered me for all of 10 seconds. It's not like Batman Begins where they just randomly pulled shaky crap for fight scenes to try and make it "dramatic". The whole film was based around the camera being a real object in the world. It would have been utter shit without it. If you wanted crappy campy Godzilla, you shouldn't have gone to a J.J. Abrams film.

And in typical Abrams fashion, the movie is fantastic because of the parts no one talks about: well written characters played by good actors with interesting relationships.

The monster? It's a monster. It's alright. The movie is terrific in spite of the monster.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was absolutely awesome. Very good stuff. Reminds me a lot of Neil Blomkamp, who is one of my absolute favorite directors.

It was a very dramatic and intense film. I'm going to see it again tomorrow.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone stick around after the credits?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was awesome.

some parts were a bit too shaky, but it didn't get to me. I really liked the compositing and lighting.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I thought the movie was amazing. Although I will say that if you get motion sickness easy then it will be a tough watch. Can't help but compare the camera movements to Blair Witch.

I loved that things were unanswered, I love that the 'horror' is for the most part implied. I love that it really instills a sense of confusion in the viewer and the actors. The actors weren't allowed to see the monster so often times they were acting with little direction and in front of massive green screens. So from that perspective it was a very big success.

I would highly recommend this movie to any fan of monster movies, but even those who don't like them might change their mind. When a movie is put together well and done correctly it really makes you wonder why Hollywood has to release such crap all the time.

***Minor Spoilers ahead***

I love the eventual build up to seeing the monster in full view. I also liked that they didn't cheese up the scary parts with the parasites, the awkward comedy dialog mixed with a few jumpy parts was perfect for me. And that slusho-fake-monster isn't too far off, even though its proportions are wrong there are features in that particular drawing that are present on the monster in the movie.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    anyone stick around after the credits?

[/ QUOTE ]

There wasn't anything after the credits. just a black screen and some static noise. too soft to make out what it was but it sounded like some radio transmission with a lot of noise.

Honestly, when i didn't get to see the full frontal shot of the creature, i was more intrigued by it. I personally do not like the facial features of the creature, doesn't really do its body justice.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Just got back from seeing it. Pretty cool movie. Kinda hard to watch from the camera movement. If you couldnt deal with Blair Witch then you'll probably throw up watching Cloverfield. Otherwise, I liked it. I dont think the monster was quite as iconic as I hoped it would be but to each his own.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I dont think the monster was quite as iconic as I hoped it would be but to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that its impossible to get an iconic monster/creature from something you don't see for more than a few moments at a time. Which is probably a good thing for the movie, but one of the big downfalls of the original idea. JJ Abrams wanted to make a Godzilla for his generation/country. Which I think in the end he's made a better monster movie (theres countless godzilla references throughout the movie). But I think he's lost the iconic-ness of the monster in doing so.

Bit long winded there, sorry.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

There wasn't anything after the credits. just a black screen and some static noise. too soft to make out what it was but it sounded like some radio transmission with a lot of noise.

[/ QUOTE ]

minor spoiler here i guess.....

dsad asd a dasd adsasds "its still alive" backwards on the radio
    http://boomp3.com/m/bd034dfca370
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    *spoilers.. maybe

i thought it was worth mentioning that lately, it's common for violence to be stripped of suffering.. we get a lot of blood and guts but it's rare that we see something painful that's identifiable on a human level. i was extremely pleased to see a relative lack of blood and gore, but scenes that were honestly a little shocking and disturbing. i thought they took a horrific idea and expressed it excellently, so hats off for that, even though i did leave the theater feeling like shit. quite frankly, the whole film has left me a little shocked, and that's not something i can say about anything anymore..

i also though that juxtaposing that sort of pain and horror next to the fear of pain for little things like rejection for expressing love was great. i felt more outgoing after watching.. with all the desensitizing shit we're exposed to lately, this was a nice change... i think it was fucking excellent.
  • hyped1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyped1 polycounter lvl 15
    Well I saw the midnight showing last night as I knew that if I didn't someone here at the studio would be ruining it on Monday with spoilers and the like.

Without going into details or possible spoilers I would like to say I was pleasantly surprised with the movie (although I was sitting way to close to the screen for a movie like this) and thoroughly entertained!

The "gimmick" of the shaky cam was used to awesome effect (although a few times you got the feeling that maybe if you were there you might decide to stop filming or put the camera down for a minute to save your ass or help out a friend?) and it has some truly scary, cringe inducing moments and you do feel like you are almost watching documentary..or the best home movie ever!

I also agree with John_Warner's post in that alot the stuff is implied and you fill in the blanks which makes it that much more impactful and powerful as a movie experience.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    This will probably have spoilers in it, and honestly I saw the movie so soon, because I knew it would be difficult to avoid spoilers as time goes on.

It was pretty awesome, granted there are parts that bothered the hell out of met, but still awesome. The monster was cool, but nothing about it (other than its tail) said "sea creature". So I'm going to figure it was an alien of some kind. Oh, but I do like how the guy who was holding the camera throughout the movie had the nick name of Hud. I thought it was clever and a nod to nerds.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    really liked it. saw it last night and today. very impactful. shaky cam wasnt too bad. it was still enough at the right moments and used to dramatic effect.
    love the feeling of watching a military document they set up at the begining. the whole thing makes me want to find out more and watch more. love the openness/uncertainty of everything. the compositing in this film and the cg effects astound me. some of the best work i have ever seen.
    sound effects were top notch.

the ONLY thing in common with blair witch was the camera shook. blair witch was very amateur in the cinematopgraphy. no high pitched screaming at all times or crap like that.

the creature was great. no mutant whale. super menacing. the 'lice' were good too. creature felt familiar but very alien at the same time.

THANK JESUS! there was no slush-o or whatever crap people were spouting while speculating. and some of my fears about how things would be handled were for naught. everythign is handled great.

*spoiler?*

a friend said that at the harbor scene at the very end, waaaay off in the distance you see this tiny splash, like something falling into the ocean.

and after making people sit through an hour and half of shaky cam, the payoff of seeing the beast is great. smile.gif
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I also had a headache and felt like puking after watching this. The concept was really cool, however, they went way overboard with the shaky camera stuff. From start to end? This is the first movie where I felt physically sick after watching it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So I went there and what I saw was an extended version of the trailer. Booo.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the ONLY thing in common with blair witch was the camera shook. blair witch was very amateur in the cinematopgraphy. no high pitched screaming at all times or crap like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The actors were cast purposely as nobodies as with the Blair Witch. They weren't allowed to see the monster and/or know anything about it. Similar to how the Blair Witch actors weren't told about a lot about the big picture. The motivations behind the project were similar to those of Blair Witch. Wanting to create a new type of movie, iconic etc. The hype, the marketing etc.

The movie itself subject wise wasn't really similar, but as with the camera-shake there is a lot of things that were similar with the two projects.

I also a agree the camera shake was a bit too much. I'm sure enhanced for dramatic effect, but have you ever watched amateur home video? NO ONE knows how to use a camera!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    how can anyone care about these privileged yuppies? i wish everyone would of died before they filmed the movie..
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    I saw it tonight and enjoyed it. It was about what I expected.

I liked the creature design too. Noticed in the credits it was by Neville Page so I googled him and saw he's an instructor at Gnomon.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, and the Art Director was Pete König, whom has done things for Massive Black.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Great movie, enjoyed a lot of it. It's JJ Abram's so I can't help but feel there were little secrets and easter eggs in the film that I missed. I guess I'll wait for the DVD on that.

SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER

We, the dudes I went with, saw the splash thingy at the end. So I guess it's an alien.

Ah, and when the chick exploded behind the curtain... woo!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Great movie, enjoyed a lot of it. It's JJ Abram's so I can't help but feel there were little secrets and easter eggs in the film that I missed. I guess I'll wait for the DVD on that.

SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER -- SPOILER

We, the dudes I went with, saw the splash thingy at the end. So I guess it's an alien.

[/ QUOTE ]

SPOILERS (yet again)
    I find it easier to believe it was an alien, like a life form sent to the planet to take out us by another race, seeing how the thing could take almost anything, I mean it was fucking carpet bombed and then had enough energy to leap , it didn't look as if it was made of much bulk, but if it was some sort of bio engineered super beast, that would explain the super tough hide it was packing.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SPOILERS (yet again)
    I find it easier to believe it was an alien, like a life form sent to the planet to take out us by another race, seeing how the thing could take almost anything, I mean it was fucking carpet bombed and then had enough energy to leap , it didn't look as if it was made of much bulk, but if it was some sort of bio engineered super beast, that would explain the super tough hide it was packing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Few friends and I were thinking it'd be neat if these seeds (re: the thing that drops in the water at the end of the movie, I'm guessing its a seed...) were actually dropped all around the planet. It'd make for some decent short-stories or (..ugh..) a sequel, to show how other cities dealt with it and stories from within.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    SPOILERS.... CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???????????????

Here are some random things about the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarNwKx5mGY

Also, for anyone who followed the ARG I'd think the monster's origin would be fairly obvious at this point:
    Weird sea goop acts like steroids. Makes things grow at accelerated different rate. Satellite crashes, has some kind of alien life on it at the time. Slusho! guys recover the satellite, find alien, begin experiments to see if it has anything to do with mystery goop, test goop on alien, alien starts turning into giant horrible monster, they seal it up, terrorist attack frees monster, monster gets exposed to all the nectar they had drilled up, monster become giant scary thing. Other creatures nearby turn into giant scary things too, like the horrible chest exploding 'lice'. I'm also fairly sure that the thing that takes down the bridge and the thing that ate HUD are entirely different monsters then Mr.Chompy. Also, no way was that bomb at the end a nuke; it was probably just an FAE.

All of the characters in the movie have MySpace pages:
    http://www.myspace.com/jamielascano
    http://www.myspace.com/robbyhawkins
    http://www.myspace.com/lily_ford
    http://www.myspace.com/beth_mcintyre
    http://www.myspace.com/jj_hawkins
    http://www.myspace.com/marlenadiamond
    http://www.myspace.com/hudsonplatt

JJ Abrams said in an interview that the monster is just a baby.

Audio of the whisper at the end of the movie (after credits):
    http://boomp3.com/m/bd034dfca370
    It's still alive smile.gif

Here's the path they took, the numbers being the order of which they moved:
    http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/JasonToddLives/cloverfield.gif

Interesting photo from the ARG site http://www.1-18-08.com/:
    http://bp1.blogger.com/_YPCf8JFgUdI/R5ERNqPwobI/AAAAAAAACfk/aT1YSK5xjnA/s800/photo11.jpg

Shitty cell phone image of the object (satelite, re: ARG) falling from the sky at the end of the film:
    http://logan-1.mirror.waffleimages.com/files/41/415a56e1e7504b93bed5ed67d3f8e3eb259e46df.jpg

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why oh why must there be more viral marketing after the damned movie has been released, wasn't the point of seeing the movie to get the whole scoop? I feel like I just watched a 2 hour long teaser for a bigger story now.

But thanks for giving all these little snippets of info Brome
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You're welcome smile.gif

Mmm.. you don't really know much in the movie. In fact, you (we) don't know shit all. It's exactly from the perspective of those people. To quote something I just read, "There's no guys in white lab coats telling you whats happening or how to defeat it. We don't have that scene."

They did the ARG to give off more information about the monster to continue the story. It's fun, I like it.

While he wasn't involved with it directly, JJ Abrams has done ARG's in the past (Lost) and they've done well.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JJ abrams also said the monster was in the ocean for thousands of years.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    and the dates don't match for the splash to be the monster landing on Earth. the oil rig footage is dated in December, the footage at the end of the movie is from April, and the attack happens in May.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nah, I think its the satelite talked about that fell from space in the ARG.
  • tone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tone polycounter lvl 18
    SPOILERS

The Sephora logo after the bridge scene .. how quaint. For the Lost fans, if you read the wikipedia description, the word 'sephora' is likely a tongue-in-cheek plain-text version of the dharma initiative swan logo, among its other inflections..

The video recovered from the camera is analogous to the archetype of rosebud from citizen kane, but where the sled was jettisoned in the end due to ignorance (as was Rob & Beth’s ‘happy day out’ recording), the video was found and its value positively identified and played back for the benefit of others, somewhat like the Hanso tape found in season two of Lost.

I appreciated the pathos of starting out with everyone making farewell remarks as a gift video, and ending up with Rob also (metaphorically) adding the “okay, uh, goodbye and good luck” message on his own camera.

On the bright side, I’m definitely over any desire I had to see motion blur enabled in UT3-PC now, or in anything else, ever.