Home General Discussion

Work in the uk (england)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
Hi,
I know nobody speaks about how much he earns, but what do you think is the normal wage for an artist with 3 years experience ?

What about living costs?
How much do you spend per month?
What's the normal price for a room (London-Bromley, flatshare)?

Is the food really THAT bad? wink.gif

cheers

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Depends on the company cashflow, titles and desperation as well as your skills, portfolio, shipped titles. I assume you know that location matters, and I assume that from your flat share you want to work in London.

Going out on a limb, living in London I reckon you could get about 24-28k.

London is expensive to live in, when I was at Ubisoft I knew 3 guys that shared a NICE flat paying £600 a month EACH. You best bet is to look at some flat sharing websites to get a truer price.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    London is expensive to live in, when I was at Ubisoft I knew 3 guys that shared a NICE flat paying £600 a month EACH. You best bet is to look at some flat sharing websites to get a truer price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must have been a bloody nice flat! Or a pricey area. We've got a large, nice flat in a good area for considerably less than that.

And no, the food is not that bad, there's actually a pretty wide range and if you know where to go you can get some great meals smile.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah...I'd definitely look into some independent research and if you like curry and all, you're safe...at least my bro who lives in the UK tells me so.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    quality of food depends mostly on your cooking skills, i'd say. you will miss some things from home but that's inevitably anyway. eating out - you should not have a problem finding nice restaurants in london. affording the bill might be one, tho.

experience - i've worked for companies that were big in germany but nobody in the UK knew of so it didn't count for much. portfolio did the trick.

artist wage and london - you are looking at a student lifestyle there.

rick - i thought reflections in newcastle is ubisoft's only UK studio?

edit: this might help - http://www.deutsche-in-london.net/forum/
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Mop - it was very central, very nice. Still, 2 hours each way commuting to Oxford and dropping 600 a month on rent seemed insane to me.

thomasp - That might be true now, but I worked at Ubisoft Oxford.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ha i also want to go to london .. thomas are you working/living right now in london?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    no, i'm up in the midlands, actually.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i've heard that the taxi in London are insanely expensive, and the weather is wet, every day.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Where I live in London it sbout 700 quid a month for a studio flat.