Home General Discussion

Who's getting psyched about dom war 3?

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
starting to think about this now! didn't the email that got sent recently about sponsorship say there would be an announcement 2nd week of jan?

any speculation about themes.. does the space theme need to be changed up to fantasy this time round? I thought they would do that for the last one actually..

Go Green!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I will be all over this like a cheap suit.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no i hope it sticks to sci fi... but like.. the ancients last time around were pretty 'fantasy' types?

hehe, one of the only competitions i ever took serious part in! if school allows, i SO am gonna take part this time around too!

winning's not the key... proving green's up top is... [ye ye. they both mean 'winning']...

cant wait
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i hope they will create nice storyline this time.
    not so silly scenario about futuristic wars with rawbods. sleepers and again rawbods in action.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I hope its a little different this time around. As much as I like scifi I think it would be inspire more variety if it was a different theme this time.

I know.. this comment from a guy who does nothing but make generic future soldiers wink.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Steampunk plz tnx bye
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Regardless what it is...I want in.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe its because I haven't finished my entry from last year, or maybe its because I'm really jazzed about the other personal projects I'm working on but I'm not all that excited about it this year. Especially if its another round of Sci-Fi warriors restricted by weird rules.

I guess in some way I can get excited about making a new and "original" character that is 25% sheep, 25% tumbleweed and 45% dental floss.

I think they should have a sub contest for environmental artists. Each forum would have its own contest for its winning pedestal. It doesn't need to be full on grand prize category stuff but something that opens it up more might be good.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah Rick, or at least rules open enough to allow for steam punk would be sweet.. Industrial age wars would be v. cool
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Me! I'm excited! I think I'll be able to make a run at finishing this year.

- BoBo
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I want to take part but my boss is talking about making me full time instead of 3 days a week so that would mean less time for game art but more money for doing corporate 3D design frown.gif. Im gonna have to bust out something cool in my spare time I guess.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It's gonna suck :\*

*for artists like me
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I'm looking forward to it - I've passed on it in previous years because I was working on a prop/environment portfolio, but now that I'm actually employed and don't have to use my spare time trying to get a job I think I might get into this.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I have a confession to make about the last war actually, dont know if anyone noticed my entry wan't mentioned even once by any judges. Now, that would usually be accounted for because it was clearly outshone by the many excellent entries we submitted, but truthfully I was so knackerd after rushing like a headless chicken to finish, that I only uploaded the files to the site without hitting submit!

Bahahahah..hah... ha frown.gif

i thought that uploading the files meant that I was submitting, but it dawned on me no-one else made the mistake so it must have been obvious. Wheee confused.gif
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    dental floss! now thats giving me weird ideas...
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Its going to be awesome to see what everyone creates of course! :P :P
    Yes im psyched!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Would be cool if every entry needs to be playable in UT3! Then we could play some Dom Warfare with our Characters. laugh.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Not me because I'm a total stranger to these lands and making artwork. :P

Saynts Rough Byich!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    not this time frown.gif way too busy.

ok well, maybe.

MAYBE.

also, cgchat is kind of a dead forum now. Dont know how this'll work.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i just hope that its not predetermined what you have to make like last years was, i hated the thought of people switching to forums just to be able to make a piece of art they wanted.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    Would be cool if every entry needs to be playable in UT3! Then we could play some Dom Warfare with our Characters. laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, this would be totally awesome.

A really good way to drum up interest in the contest outside of the game-art community, too.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    girls + guns

a winner!
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno about psyched, but I'm down for it. I've got a perfect record of not finishing comps by the deadline, it'd be a shame to ruin it now by not entering. laugh.gif

[Edit: Nice idea Hawken, that could definitely work.]
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    This is the year I finish (If I don't get too deep into WoW), though I'm not as psyched as I was in the previous years. I wouldn't mind a different theme, but we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

-caseyjones
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Is there an official start date or anything yet?...Probably going to tag up with a concept dude for this one. Should be fun. Whats the bet the theme is fantasy.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    fuck it we have plenty of guys and so last time did the newer forums. I'm not concerned about the entrants! Besides which even if only polycount entered, there would still be some wicked competition!

I for one don't think there will be a lack of entrants... I think the comp will expand even futher!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Really going to try and participate this time. Also hoping that the criteria is actually maintained this time. Last time it seemed to go completely out of the window for most entrants and seemed almost pointless. Awesome works, but big clumpy meatheads as stealthy assassins?
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    GameArtisans.org <- I think most/many/lots of cgchatters went there.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Really going to try and participate this time. Also hoping that the criteria is actually maintained this time. Last time it seemed to go completely out of the window for most entrants and seemed almost pointless. Awesome works, but big clumpy meatheads as stealthy assassins?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, this really bothered me too. cgtalk especially didnt stick to what I thought their theme was at all.

I was thinking about this some more, and I think I'll try and create a little team effort with other polycount guys who are short on time and create a Frankenstein conglomeration of a lot of people's efforts. I'll post more about my idea once dom war starts, but its mainly about people swapping around files, and creating seperate pieces that dont need to completely match to form a crazy mismatched monster with one person giving some rough direction to keep it looking all in the same basic style.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also hoping that the criteria is actually maintained this time. Last time it seemed to go completely out of the window for most entrants and seemed almost pointless. Awesome works, but big clumpy meatheads as stealthy assassins?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't agree more!
    At least gauss will be around to dominate the concept side of things this year.

-caseyjones
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - FredH - polycounter lvl 18
    The New Dom War site is up at dominancewar.com.

Aesir, teams of any kind are not permitted.

Good luck guys, you will need it:)
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and to those who are interested:

CGSociety's feature article:
    http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4375

3dtotal's feature article:
    http://www.3dtotal.com/articles/dominance_war3/dom3_page1.asp

They are using old domwar logos but it's a good read about what's coming;)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ic....

(aesir secretly creates his team in teh undergounds of india...)

nah, im too lazy for that. Cheers, maybe I'll make something super easy.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Too bad...I was just going to partner up with a character artist who I know.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree with this comment. Also have to agree with rhino's comment about not being forced into a certain category since you'll have board swapping as what happened last time instead of people working on the behalf of their favorite message board.

Also: why no polycount in the concept art category?
  • - FredH -
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw, if you have suggestions or questions specific to the running of Dominance War, and if they are in English, they will only be answered in gameartisans.org's general discussions forum. With 9 forums involved, it's the only way...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now, in its third year, Dominance War has again doubled in size. The forum count currently stands at eight forums, participating in four different languages, with a combined user base of over one million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crazy.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I want to enter this round too. Might team up with someone, anyone need a concept artist?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it says new time period! woop!
    edit: funny if it was modern day tongue.gif. 9 forums worth of infantry soldiers laugh.gif
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now, in its third year, Dominance War has again doubled in size. The forum count currently stands at eight forums, participating in four different languages, with a combined user base of over one million.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hehe, I have a feeling that hxsd.com.cn community (never actually heard of it) is providing roughly half of that one million wink.gif
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    evil non-cyborg general wasn't open enough last time? wink.giftongue.gif

seriously if your first thought when you read the theme is something completely different then maybe you should rethink your concept instead of trying to get the rules changed to fit your concept. this happens a lot in our own Challenge forum too.

just like a couple months or so ago in mirc. bearkub was looking for a new challenge idea and i threw out the idea of a Hanna-Barbera character challenge. immediately someone said "i claim Ren and Stimpy."

if someone says "the theme of this challenge is Pirates!" your first thought shouldn't be a giant orc dual wielding flaming chainsaws and riding on the back of a steam powered walrus and then argue that you should be allowed to enter that concept because that is what you want to do. if you want to do something different then go ahead. there're plenty of forums to show that off in.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Let's calm down Asherr. I think I may have said "I claim Ren and Stimpy", because my idea is to keep the theme open ended to allow more creativity and participants, while still keeping a focused guideline. It's like a theme of "racing vehicle", instead of "a nascar".

No matter the guidelines, it's a chance to create great art. I missed last year's due to traveling, but this year I'm ready. My only fear is this contest is getting too large. 8 forums? That nearly ensures the teams will not be well defined. I only visit two of those forums regulary. Getting more difficult to see behind enemy lines.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait... so no teams this year?

bah. I tried doing it solo the last couple times and I was too busy, this year I was planning on teaming up.
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also: why no polycount in the concept art category?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, what's up with that?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, PC needs a conceptart section, and teams are a must.

EDIT: actually, by no teams do you mean no concepter/modeler teamups, or do you mean that you can't have two modelers working on one final piece? Cause no concepter/modeler teamups would be sad. frown.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember why that happened, it wasn't actually lack of enforcement that caused it. It was the fact the brief was very loosely defined and contradicted the main theme. So when Fred started enforcing the theme/mentioning a concept didn't fit, that turned out to conflict with the actual written guidelines.

I imagine this year the brief will be tightly written to avoid that though
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    rooster,

Your image was included in this magazine spread of dom war 2 entries

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/images/publicity/CreativeMag_DWII.pdf
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember why that happened, it wasn't actually lack of enforcement that caused it. It was the fact the brief was very loosely defined and contradicted the main theme. So when Fred started enforcing the theme/mentioning a concept didn't fit, that turned out to conflict with the actual written guidelines.

I imagine this year the brief will be tightly written to avoid that though

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, people just ignored the briefs. About 3/4's of the cgtalk entries had humans in it, despite the fact that they were supposed to do an ancient alien race. Wtf?? I could see maybe one or two people doing a race of humans that came before other humans, but hardly ANYONE did an alien. Not to mention that the humans looked and dressed like normal earth humans. Really annoyed me.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The brief said nothing about non humans for cgsociety. They were simply "ancients".

http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/2/readbrief/index.htm

The briefs were very open.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    it specifically stated that this is an ancient race. as in, existed before humans. If humans were already ancient, then they wouldnt have called the ancients, ancients
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    unless you go for the Star Trek "we don't want/can't afford to make real alien species so we'll claim all races are decended from one ancient space faring race."