Home General Discussion

I am legend

Replies

• Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    I really hated the CG for the zombies as well, same goes for the 'liquid jaw' thing mentioned earlier. I also dont like the way the mainzombie in the end kept walking up the glass, it looked like he was trying to break it with his jaw? wtf? Theire smart enough to understand physics to take those light and the car out but he's too dumb to ram the glass with his body/shoulder???

I liked the first part of the movie, after the dog died it got downhill for me. I absolutely f***ing hate movies that have religious messages like this one in them ARGH! Conclusion: it was a sucky version of 28 weeks for me.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Saw it the other night with a bunch of friends, and we were all very excited about the movie, and the suspense was killing us, up until the point where the first CG zombie entered.

It all went from "Oh my God, this is so cool looking.." to "Oh.." in an instant. Such a shame.

Overall it was an okay movie, but the way it was it would have made a much better short movie, without the woman and the kid. I just think it should have ended sooner.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Saw this last night, I liked it a lot. It was a bit over-hyped, but what isn't these days? Even though it was a bit over 2 hours, it still seemed really short and quick to end. I LOOOVED the sets/environments. Did anyone else catch the Superman/Batman movie poster near the beginning, that got me excited. Once again, Will Smith gave me a lump in my throat with his whole crocodile tear routine. I'm beginning to notice a trend with Will Smith flicks....show him working out, or his toned body, for atleast 30 seconds, and he MUST cry atleast twice in the movie. Either way, he did a great job.
    I hate to see animals get hurt, it's my kryptonite. I knew the dog was gonna bite it when I saw the millions of spoilers they've been playing on TV the past few weeks. Still wasn't ready for it. Really got me when he had to strangle it. ;[
    I really didn't like the whole hidden religious agenda at the end.

Good flick. I don't think it's a must see in the theater, however.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    this is one of those movies that pisses me off to no end simply because some parts of it are excellent and other parts are absolutely horrible. it had so much potential to be a great adaptation and while will smith was great, and the setting was fine, the cg, stupid vampires, and "survivor" thing completely ruined whatever hopes it had.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    movie completly bombed when the chick and kid came on the scene. he went from crying to a maniquine for it to talk to him, to screaming at the only person he has seen in years. makes no sense. the flashbacks were nice tho, did a good job at teasn me into wanting to see more of that stuff than what was actually happening.

i agree with the shitty vampire zombie things. if gettn in fected makes me a gold gymnist, sign me up! same for 28 days later, they got infected and became track stars! who woulda thought?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    resident evil with will smith

mostly good. crap CG on the animals and zombies (colours didn't seem to match)

Amazing CG on the city.

Best audio. Great!

Ending sucked. Nothing done with the zombies, might as well have not been in the film at all.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the movie, not for the whole zombie/vampire plot, but the relationship between will and his dog.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    will smith acted really well and the dog was just behind him in terms of performance.

SPOILER WARNING
    shame they killed him off. reminded me of that charlton heston film. he gets killed in that too.
    SPOILER WARNING
    cg of the streets was fantastic. zombies were rubbish
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Probably could use a spoiler warning there, Ruz. smile.gif
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Do we need spoiler warnings in dedicated threads about movies that are out? Games I can understand, because people might not have finished a 20h game. But movies aren't watched in chunks, and I can't imagine anyone worried about getting spoiled would open this thread..
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yup , never thought about that vermillion:)
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I heard this movie was based off a short story and had a entirely different ending?

is that true?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Watched it yesterday, enjoyed it. I don't like the fact that the monsters were all CG, but considering what the director wanted, it's really the only way it would have been done.

Serforin, it looks like they changed the ending, yes. Even from earlier trailers, there are quite a few pats that were not in the final movie at all. I'd like to see the directors cut of it, to see what was removed.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Spoilers,spoilers,angry spoliers.

Saw this movie and it was an ok movie,but it wasnt I am legend.

Someone earlier said it was one of the best movie adaptations ever,are you serious because i must have seen a different movie.

For starters the whole theme and the way they ended it are way off,for starters "i am legend" comes from the fact that in the book theres 2 types of vampire,the regular mindless ones and the ones who kept some of their humanity. To the more intelligent vampires Robert Neville was a boogeyman of sorts,someone who would go in their houses and snatch a vampire up during the day when they slept as he did in the book.

Secondly they diverged from so many of the elements that made lonliness/going crazy feel there was in the books,as someone mentioned before the ex neighbhor that yelled out for him come out nightly.

The dog,totally changed the dogs role in the movie.

The human woman he runs into,way off totally changed again.

The little boy? Wasnt even in the book

The ending? the most disappointing part.

My ideal adaptation of this book would have been a grittier/psychological/horror type of film.

They just took an ok action movie and slapped on a title to a story that kinda resembled the book.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do we need spoiler warnings in dedicated threads about movies that are out? Games I can understand, because people might not have finished a 20h game. But movies aren't watched in chunks, and I can't imagine anyone worried about getting spoiled would open this thread..

[/ QUOTE ]To see if people liked it and recommend it. After a few days/weeks its generally ok to drop the spoiler tags and discuss as if everyone has seen it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It was pretty good, but not great. They built some suspense really well, although it never really got as "scary" as some movies I have seen recently.

Wasn't a fan of the CG monsters. Agree with whoever it was who mentioned the "rubber bones" and stupid stretchy mouths.

Although hey, Mike Patton.

I really didn't like the ending. Reminded me of Spielberg's War of the Worlds (in a bad way).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think the rubber bone effect was more of the virus affecting cartilage in some manner. The lower jaw is held in place only by muscle and cartilage (temporal mandible joint). So if that were to become soft or loose, the jaw could easily move in extended ways.
    Their bones seemed rigid though, it was just their joint movement that seemed to stretch.

But yea for sure, it wasn't a terrific movie. Enjoyable but not top notch stuff.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Liked the movie, absolutely *hated* the stupid CGI zombies. IMO, CGI has gotten WAY too stylized with it's movement, nothing looks even remotely real these days. It's a major step backwards in realism.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I liked the movie, the atmosphere, the plot, personally I think Will Smith is a great actor and did a great job with this movie (though his character is 52!? Bullshit).

Wholeheartedly I echo the dissappointment in the ridiculously obvious CG creatures. Firstly, they show the lions and deer, which were very obviously CG, ok, I'll let that slip. The infected humans looked retarded, that was just bad CG. They were pretty much these guys, with more flesh:

mummyreturns.jpg

Except the Mummy Returns was cheesey, and this was a serious movie. Don't even bother with trying to logically think about these infected as zombies or whatever. They burn in the sun, they roar with disconnecting jaws, they have the physical abilities of the robots in iRobot. At first they were creepy as hell when he stumbles across them sleeping in the circle and gets chased out, but then they show ones face, and you realize how shitty the CG is.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bleh, i expected to be better.

the story was not worked out well, CG was bad, but overall a nice movie.

though it will not top 28 days/ 28 weeks later. same concept, better story line.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    *Obviously going to be spoilers in a thread about a movie*

saw it a few days ago, good movie, first half was great. As others have said, the city was great, but the bad guys were kinda disappointing.

And it's like they tried to build something up with the bad guys several times and just got nowhere with it, the guy coming into the light, the trap, every attack they keep focusing on the one bad guy. Someone said that it was to show that it's the same group of bad guys, but is there even any need for that? Does it matter if it's the same ones or some other random group of bad guys? If it's not the same group that'd mean that there's more out there and would create a more dangerous situation. If it's the same then there's some intelligence/detrmination behind this group to keep going after him, which again tries to add something to the bad guys that is never used.

But there's one thing I don't get, how'd this virus go from curing cancer to turning people into zombies/vampires? He said in the movie that it killed 90% of the people it infected, but yet in the beginning it said that it was tested on some 10,000 people and cured cancer in all of them. The dog was exposed and shortly after it was showing visible signs, so it's not like it was some long term affect. Apparently it mutated and became airborne, and while I'm no doctor it doesn't seem likely to me that this virus would mutate into a version that would turn people into vampires, and then mutate again to become airborne in such a short time frame.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I am disappointed.

First half was good.......Creatures were shit, and almost seemed like they should be in a different movie.
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [SPOILERS](of course)

First movie I've seen where the zombies wear matching uniforms, looking sharp lads! cool.gif Disappointing technically and also the neglect of their role in the movie. They could have been so much more interesting and important to the story. With so many dead-end hints at them being somewhat intelligent, as well as the Will Smith/King Zombie vendetta, the film itself seems pretty butchered overall. As someone already suggested, broken down and rebuilt by focus testing perhaps?

The introduction and application of the kid and lady into the story sucks. Her religious rant was mildly irritating, but the fact that it ended up being so crucial to the story made the ending particularly hard to swallow. Also, I hate Shrek. Not so much Shrek himself, more the idea of Shrek. Will Smith did a good job. grin.gif

[END SPOILERS]
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    SPOILER
    one thing confused me. How the heck did she leave the city at the end if it was all cut off from the outside world?
    its probably something simple I missed!!
    SPOILER
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not sure why, but the end reminded me of Children of Men. The story is supposed to be over but it's not really satisfying and you are just sitting there thinking "oh.. it's over ?".
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I was playing poker with buddies the other night and talking about the movie, and while they are more forgiving about the zombies, they did agree that the CG was way too noticeable and the look of the zombies was just goofy.

Just odd that such a high budget movie would be given such poor assets, I can list off a lot of movies with obviously lower budgets that had much more believable human-type monsters.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    They should have casted Morgan Freeman as Robert Neville...
    and had some variations in the creature design.

The environments were AMAZING!!!
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    SPOILER
    one thing confused me. How the heck did she leave the city at the end if it was all cut off from the outside world?
    its probably something simple I missed!!
    SPOILER

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha very good point.......how did she get across with no bridges????/ LOL.... guess she had a ferry too.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one more thing....what was that liquid shit he was spraying everywhere???? Holy water?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    According to imdb, it was vinegar to mask his scent from the dark seekers.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was ok. No idea why they diverged from the book so much. The book is such a nice tight, well thought out story, that is practically already a perfect screenplay with an intriguing ending. I guess my favorite part would be the abondoned NYC sets. The rest was a mishmash of meh..
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Someone earlier said it was one of the best movie adaptations ever,are you serious because i must have seen a different movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was saying compared to "The Last Man on Earth" and "Omega Man", it's the best of the three (a coworker said there's a Twilight Zone episode based on it, never saw it). If you count movies inspired by the book, Night of the Living Dead is the best.

OMFG SPOILERZ
    You can only have happy endings in Hollywood
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone else notice the Batman / Superman logo in the beginning after the lions get the deer?

batman-vs-superman-i-am-legend.jpg
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    lol.............. yeah Jesse, Moose brought it up earlier in the thread...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    lol.............. yeah Jesse, Moose brought it up earlier in the thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats what i get for not going back and reading everything again.

Damn i'm a fool.