Home General Discussion

Unreal Tournament 3 is out

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
...or it should be. It's out on the 21st of this month for Canadians.

Anyway, it's out. It's out for PC. The editor. Easily made custom content. I know Gears is out now too, but to me this has been the release for that PPM type of community revival I am hoping to see.

Will you be getting it?

Are the editors between this and GoW the same just different content because of the games they ship with?

I'm buying it purely for the reason of the editor. I'd like something that is easy to import in to that isn't 3DS Max and get some decent results.

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed... (Me buying)
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    if they release rigs to use the existing sets of anims... then yea I will get it smile.gif
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    The environments are phenomenal in motion. Check out the official forums for screens/vids. I can only hope the community can pump out maps as complex. Mods have already started to 'fix' the jumping etc.

Though from what I've read most people are disappointed in the lack of CTF and Deathmatch maps (6 in each of those and like 20 in "onslaught"), in addition to the lack of playable Malcom/Xan/Egyptian Team/Dead/Goth Team etc. There are also no Facing World maps. I checked out the playable characters also, though extremely beautiful, a bit bland in selection. Ending is supposed to be bad, if what I read was true. And some are complaining about aiming bugs. Assault was ripped completely, though I remember back a bit they said they were combining the modes with onslaught. Not true at all supposedly, though they added some extra support nodes.

Can't wait to pick it up though. Got the lan all setup :P
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i was playing with the editor today at work and looking at some maps. Hot damn this stuff looks good.

I'll be getting it for sure.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I've got the CE pre-ordered.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I was originally uber-thrilled about this game... then I played the demo. The changes they've made to the game don't sit well with me, so I'm holding out 'til I've built my next system.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Cant wait till its released in Europe,this is my 2nd shipped title ive worked on yay.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Uh.. in Germany it is out since a week or so tongue.gif

Haven't tried it yet though... no time to play anyways frown.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Some of the changes are consolish from the demo. Though thats was the beta demo. So I'm hoping its more refined. Anyhow, will pick it up today since it takes a day from release to finding its way locally. Shout out for some Deathmatch!
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going in this morning to pick my Limited Edition copy. I actually put off the start of my holiday traveling by a few hours just so I could go pick it up. Priorities. smile.gif It should be a good day...Mass Effect is on the pick up list as well. Holiday complete.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    My copy hasn't shipped from gogamer yet, so I'll be heading to frys today to pick it up. Going to give mine to a friend when it comes in the mail.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    waiting for my special edition only due out on the 23rd here in the uk
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The EBgames said they wont get it in till tomorrow. frown.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Supposedly it comes out at the end of the month here in Australia. I have my LE copy pre-ordered, just waiting for the call to say its in.
    My next character I build will be to bring into UE3. So I'm hoping its not going to be a terrible ordeal getting it into the game.

-caseyjones
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I'm buying the special edition purely for the editor, can't wait to get into it.

Plus the game looks great.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my copy! Thanks to everyone who busted there asses on this title.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    got it. Playing it.
    Its beautiful, and it feels like the best ut yet. (then again I love the series)
    A few things from the original, like the armor doll (and the theme song), with the best of ut2k4, warfare/onslaught seems prettier but upped in pace, the hover board is actually a nice means of infantry transport, and the realtime cinematics are near jaw dropping. (my jaw is pretty tight shut usually)

Got mine from best buy, with the "exclusive" necris chic.
    The character configurator is sweet. Talk about variations.

First game I've been really excited about for a long time. Its the tech. I love the tech.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    So...when do the VTMs, and insider info start to come out? smile.gif
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So...when do the VTMs, and insider info start to come out? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Grab the collectors edition. DVD full of VTM's.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I'll be getting it, at least for the editor. It'll be the first computer game in like...2 years that I've played. Can't wait. Been using Roboblitz for a bit...feel like I'm missing out smile.gif

Gav
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think this will be the first game I will actually make a custom player model for.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Im hoping that now that its out Hawkprey will post his concepts......
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    picked my copy up today of the CE.. don't have any time to play though and my computer can barely run the game frown.gif
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I'm buying the special edition purely for the editor, can't wait to get into it.

Plus the game looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you implying the regular version lacks unrealed? frown.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

are you implying the regular version lacks unrealed? frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as I know all versions of the game have unrealed. Just the collectors edition has 10+ hours of training to help you use the unreal engine effectively.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    and the realtime cinematics are near jaw dropping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh.. what realtime cinematics? There are none. They may have made them in Whatever UE3 version of matinee is, but it's a .bik movie.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Question for anyone who's played the full version: How does it compare to the demo, graphically, and otherwise?

Will there be a new demo?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My copy hasn't shipped from gogamer yet, so I'll be heading to frys today to pick it up. Going to give mine to a friend when it comes in the mail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that sounds like a great idea, <u>friend</u> poly106.gifwink.gifpoly106.gif
  • Caravaggio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caravaggio polycounter lvl 17
    Not as excited about this one, too many steps backwards from 2004, but the core gameplay is still there and the engine should be fun to play with.

Someone elsewhere told me the CE version doesn't include any tutorials about character importation, only level making and coding. They don't even have Actorx out yet to export the models from max/maya.

Also, you can unlock all the special characters by dropping the console and enter 'unlockallchars'.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]

Someone elsewhere told me the CE version doesn't include any tutorials about character importation, only level making and coding. They don't even have Actorx out yet to export the models from max/maya.

[/ QUOTE ]

argh. I didn't look through all the vids yet but I was hoping there was weapons and character stuff, but there was no blatant folders of it.

so I'm gonna take that as a no.

that pisses me off A LOT because that's the whole reason I went CE.

god dammit.

Anyone wanna make some tutorials on how to bring weapons and characters into UE3? laugh.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow if thats true that really is annoying. Surely in 10+ hours of tutorial there must be mention of characters and weapons and how to bring them and and use them? I also went for CE especially for these kind of tutorials.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Ermm...so only levels and coding? No vehicles, characters, character customization, weapons, etc?
  • Caravaggio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caravaggio polycounter lvl 17
    I should say that's just what someone told me, another said there's one video of a walkthrough, but didn't mention how in-depth.
    Also, I came back to take back the thing about actorx, [SAS]Solid Snake posted at BU that the current version of ActorX works fine with UE3 at least.

Probably shouldn't talk til it's in my hands. tongue.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    its all level editing and how to use the editor.
    Its changed a lot since UT2k4, but if you get into the animation browser there are two nice little options (among others)

Import PSA
    Import COLLADA Animation

gonna try that soon.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I got the normal edition, not sure how to launch the level editor. I found something called unrealFrontend.exe but unfortunately my poor laptop dies when I try to load any maps -.- I might need a new PC if I want to play with this.

Is the frontend thing a way to access editor? Or should there be a file called unrealEd.exe like previous version?
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone in Vancouver actually managed to get Unreal 3? It was supposed to come out yesterday (21st), but it's still listed as not-in-stock on the Futureshop and BestBuy sites.

WTF is up with games releases this month in Canada anyway, maybe someone can shed some light on it. I'm one of those dicks who always run out on launch day to get my games. This month like every game has been delayed by at least 4 days. It's pissing me off. Plus I just found out that the Mist (which I'm dying to see) isn't being shown till Friday until Friday in Vancouver, despite debuting nationwide in the US, today.

Anyway, enough of the rant.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Was looking forward to the Mist too. One of my favourite short stories by King. Games though, yeah, BC, maybe all of Canada, tends to get a 1-3 day shaft when it comes to a release of any prominent whatever.

Gonna check tomorrow, and if not then, all throughout the weekend. Good luck with finding it, I'll post if I can find a copy tomorrow. Good luck.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    see that's weird, cause I can remember previously getting most of my games here in Vancouver on their US release date, Assassin's Creed was the first time in recent memory I've had to wait to get a game.

I'll make sure to post if I manage to lay my hands on a copy.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Import COLLADA Animation

[/ QUOTE ]

icon_exclaim.gif

WHATSINMODELIMPORTWHATSINMODELIMPORT
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    BLENDER WILL EXPLODE!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NO, YOU'RE ARE EXPLODE
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo.. I went yesterday to pick up my copy. First the guys couldnt find it, then there computer said they were minus 3, then I was supposed to wait for the manager. Finally, they sent me to another gamestop/ebgames with the CE less then a 1/4 mile away which did. I spent 30+ minutes while they dicked around.

It turns out that this other store had had the game since Tuesday even though the idiots where I pre-ordered it without actually checking the packages that had come in, told me on Tuesday it was to come in on Wednesday. Well, needless to say I am not shopping at the Westlake Center Ebgames again. The only bonus is instead of of a unlockable character, Ebgames gave Unreal Anthology game pack with the purchase free, so I have the full backlog of unreal games on DVDs (including another license of Ut2k4).

Tis great. Unfortunately, the same crappy menu is present from the demo. Gamers should invade the Epic forums to bring Epic to its knees for this stupidity. I swear, I spent a good minute trying to figure out where the custom character menus was.

Does anyone know which config file I can edit my controls with the pipe | as to do multiple weapon switches on one key? They have thrown everything under my documents it seems and its a bit confusing..

Annoyance, when you look at the scoreboard, it doesn't list the ping.

I dropped down to a a widescreen version around 800X600 and it played very consistent. Only got one match in last night, but I'm happy.

The bit about only being level editing tutorials in the CE is more than a bit of a letdown on the editor. I realize 90% of the audience using the editor will only make levels/use items already in the game. Still though.. don't they want to expand the Unreal Audience beyond this? Hopefully Buzz3d or other will rectify this sooner than later. I really wanted to check with what I was doing character wise would work in the game.

So while we are here.. since they are using Gamespy (Epic how could you? Well, at least its not the "lets get more money out of them needlessly" "Made for Windows" shit. Anyhow, list your player name so we can add one another to the friends list. I also put myself under the "polycount" clan. wink.gif

Player Name:
    oXYnary
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    There will no doubt be tutorials for character/weapon by the same guys that did the CE tutorial videos, thus forcing you to shell out more for them. It's a business you see? And of course I could be wrong.

Picked up my CE today.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me know your player name Brome...

BIG NEWS:

First Patch preview:

[ QUOTE ]
    Gameplay:

* - Fixed scaling of certain player meshes (increased in size some human and
    * robot meshes). *Addresses meshes being smaller than collision box, as well as
    * eyeheight issues.
    * - Fixed feigning death into/through ForcedDirVolumes.
    * - Fixed grenade effects in water.
    * - Increased hellbender rear turret damage.
    * - Reduced Goliath machine gun spread, plus slight damage increase.
    * - Fixed warfare scoring for locking down a prime node not called "prime
    * node".
    * - Slightly increased momentum taken for damage by mantas and vipers.
    * - Flak, Rocket, and Shock do slightly more damage to manta and viper.
    * - Made sure Hellfire SPMA cannon can't fire through walls.
    * - Increased incoming SPMA fire sound radius.
    * - Fixed impact jumping with hoverboard.
    * - Fixed bot Pawns losing their PRI at the end of the match, causing them to,
    * among other things, be invisible
    * - Fixed being able to switch away from the rocket launcher in the delay
    * between the third rocket being loaded and the weapon autofiring.

AI:

* - Improved bot AI with darkwalker.
    * - Tweaked bot voice message frequencies.
    * - Bot aiming tweaks.
    * - Fixed bots attacking friendly player in rare cases when that player recently
    * stole an enemy vehicle.
    * - Fixed bots not handling the "Hold This Position" order correctly when the
    * player giving the order is in a multi-person vehicle.

Demo playback:

* - Fixed demo playback not ending/looping correctly when the demo ends due to
    * the DemoRecSpectator being destroyed before the end of the file is reached.
    * - Demos can now be paused.
    * - By default, demo playback now runs at full speed and interpolates in between
    * demo frames using the normal client simulation code. The old frame-locked
    * method is still available by passing ?disallowinterp. Timedemos are unaffected
    * by this change.
    * - Fixed demoplay URL parsing counting the options as part of the filename
    * unless an extension was specified in the demo name
    * - Added a "Delete Demo" button to the demo playback menu.
    * - Demo playback now properly handles rotation when viewing a Pawn in first
    * person.
    * - Fixed looking around while spectating a vehicle.

Server Browser:

* - Implemented "Server History" tab page in server browser, with ability to
    * "lock" favorites on that page.
    * - Added 'Join as spectator' feature.
    * - Server browser uses smaller font to display more servers.
    * - Fixed custom mutators not appearing in server browser.
    * - Fixed custom gametypes not displayed in server browser's window.
    * - Fixed server browser's listed MaxPlayers being incorrect.
    * - Added filter option for dedicated servers.
    * - Fixed server browser showing an incorrect goal score and time limit when the
    * .ini values were used.

User Interface:

* - Can now save settings/progress even if have never created a profile.
    * - Added ping and connect time to scoreboard.
    * - Removed annoying confirmation menu when starting a game.
    * - Removed unnecessary top settings page (can use tabs at the top of the
    * settings to navigate).
    * - Added a Messages tab to the mid game menu.
    * - Friends messages now saved until explicitly deleted.
    * - Finer control over mouse sensitivity, using an edit box instead of a
    * slider.
    * - Added framerate smoothing and FOV options to the advanced video menu.
    * - Increased max players/bots in menus to 32.
    * - Fixed auto switching to vote menu at end of match.
    * - Improved mid game menu performance (don't render world behind it).
    * - Added version number to main menu.
    * - Fixed binding gamepad/joystick keys (you must set AllowJoystickInput=1 in
    * the [WinDrv.WindowsClient] of your UTEngine.ini to enable
    * gamepads/joysticks).

HUD:

* - Added the killer weapon to victim messages.
    * - Fixed flag and orb scaling in minimap at high resolutions.
    * - Fixed node teleporter not showing "You can't teleport with orb" message on
    * clients.
    * - Fixed situations where "get in vehicle" pictograph wouldn't work correctly.
    * - Still draw the clock on the scoreboard after the game is over.
    * - Fixed Duel HUD issues.

Networking:

* - Implemented STUN support (Simple Traversal of UDP Through Network Address
    * Translators) to enable clients and servers to connect from behind a NAT.
    * - Fixed team scores very rarely not updating for a client.
    * - Fixed bot faction option when running a listen server.
    * - Fixed link setup not reset correctly when going from a map with a custom
    * link setup to one using the default.
    * - Fixed a case where Duel would place an incoming player on the wrong team
    * when some players were still travelling.
    * - Bullseye stats are now properly recorded.
    * - Fixed clients not travelling to downloaded maps correctly.
    * - Fixed the client and server getting into a loop sending each other close
    * messages in some situations.
    * - Quick match incorporates player rating into search decision.
    * - Fixed issue where Vista clients would not receive all servers from a server
    * browser search.
    * - Applied proper fix to suppressing voice on dedicated servers.
    * - Fixed issues with players not getting on right team in Duel and
    * Duel+Survival if a player leaves in certain timing windows during map
    * transitions.
    * - Fixed previous level PRIs showing up on the scoreboard/leaderboard after the
    * client travels (making it look like players have already scored lots of points
    * when those clients are in fact still loading)
    * - Fixed losing your custom character mesh after changing teams during a
    * match.

Server Administration:

* - Reduced tick rate for dedicated servers with no clients (saves CPU on idle
    * servers).
    * - Dedicated servers do not require CD keys.
    * - Added -configsubdir= command line option to cause .ini files to be
    * loaded/saved from the specified subdirectory of Game\Config\
    * - Added QueryPort configuration and command line option.
    * - Added an "AdminChangeOption [option] [value]" console command for server
    * admins. This allows changing most simple .ini values (e.g. GoalScore) from the
    * client. This command will not override URL options. The change will take
    * effect after the next map change.
    * - Added an "AdminPublishMapList" console command for server admins. This
    * overrides the server's map list for the current game type with the one on the
    * client that used the command.
    * - Uses GameReplicationInfo.ServerName if set for the name of the server on the
    * server browser.
    * - Added "AdminForceVoiceMute" and "AdminForceVoiceUnMute": Stops/Starts a
    * player from sending voip to others
    * - Added "AdminForceTextMut" and "AdminForceTextUnMute": Stops/Starts a player
    * from send text messages to others
    * - Updated AdminPlayerList to show the PlayerID of the players on the server.
    * - Updated Kick/Ban to allow for using either the player name or the id

Map Specific

* - Fixed WAR-Avalanche terrain LOD popping issue on high end PCs.
    * - Fixed bots rarely getting stuck in mid air in DM-Gateway in the city
    * section.
    * - Fixed some VCTF-Suspense pathing issues.
    * - Fixed issues with circular lift on DM-Deimos.
    * - Fixed translucent mesh sorting issues in DM-Gateway.

Campaign/Co-op:

* - Fixed a bug that could cause too many bots to be added to co-op matches in
    * some cases.
    * - Added support for seamless travel interrupting a travel to start another
    * travel. This fixes single player breaking if the host selects the next mission
    * before the clients have finished travelling to the mission selection level
    * - Fixed extra copy of a character when a human player leaves a co-op game at
    * the right time.
    * - Changed network loss during single player to result in player signed in
    * locally.

Modding:

* - Added a SupportedGameTypes field to UTUIDataProvider_Mutator. If some
    * entries are in this array, the mutator will only be visible in the menus if
    * the selected gametype is found in the array.
    * - Fixed custom gametype midgame menus not being used correctly.
    * - Shipping script compiler now allows localized/config defaultproperties
    * because otherwise autodownloaded mods have no way for their localized/config
    * variables to work.
    * - Added Get/SetSpecialValue() stubs to Object to allow mods to expose values
    * that can be modified without creating a dependancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! They are fixing the HUD and adding the pings to the scoreboard. Now to figure out where to put my | commands for weapons..
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    oh god? a patch already?

why ship the game again? frown.gif
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    I have gotten the collectors edition and skimmed thru the tutorial dvd.. Unfortunatly, there wasnt anything on how to export your character into the game. I came here to see if anyone knows more info.
  • fal$eProfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fal$eProfit polycounter lvl 17
    I have gotten the collectors edition and cannot figure out how to install the editor. WTF . I must be the biggest turd becase no one else seems to not be able to figure it out.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It should be installed with the game. Look under the startmenu under UT3, or just go to the file folder and look under the binaries.
  • fal$eProfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fal$eProfit polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Bro, I was just in a crysis frame of mind were you have to instal it off the disk., duh..
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    You have to make a copy of your UT3 icon and right click it, go to properties, click on the target line, and add the word editor at the end. Open it and your good to go.