Home General Discussion

Beowulf

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snemmy polycounter lvl 18
first 1/3 was meh. last 2/3 was pretty good.

nitpicks..
straight mocapped faces looked dead..
some shoddy animation at the start
crotch hiding scenes were humourous and annoying
'bullet time' stuff during grendel attacks

pros:
grendel's mom = hot
dragon was one of the best ive seen since Dragonslayer
good action
story was pretty good, anti hero hero movie
great scenery
wasnt a fluffed up kids movie. a good step forward for cg movies(plot and adult-ness)

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Sounds like something I could shell a few bucks on.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Just saw the film, fight scenes were pretty intense... You can see the Cg get better as the film progresses... the close ups towards the end of the film felt extremely real, almost like if it was live action ... very impressive....

And i will go watch it again in a 3d imax next week >:D
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I actually forgot about the CG early through...the story, dialogue, and acting are VERY engaging. Loved it overall.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked it. The 3D glasses gave me a headache though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So do they ever do anything to justify making the entire thing CG? I'll go have a look at it, but the whole "Lets make it CG because we can" thing kinda bugs me.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I want to start yelling my name every time I do something awesome like bewoulf did.

BOSS- Hey good job on that model last week, it came out great in the engine!

Me- SEFORINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great film. I was kind of irked by the CG thing before I went in, but it was definitely justifiable. A lot of the fight scenes just couldn't have been done without it.

The action was very over-the-top, but it was to be expected. If you're looking for a new Lord of the Rings, this probably isn't the film for you. Go in looking for some blood-spilling action, however, and you'll definitely appreciate it. smile.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    om gonna kiw yore monstah

fun stuff laugh.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    anyone else see the new Cloverfield trailler in front of Beowulf?? looks badass
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Angelina Jolie covered in gold and naked = WIN!!!!

I might have to go check this bad boy out.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Man I finally caught this today at Imax in 3D. I wasn't expecting it to be near as good as it was. It was over the top bloody action with some damn nice cg. And the pacing of the film was just awesome! It's not going to win any awards, but it sure as hell won a spot in my movie collection.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Waiting for the YouTube "I'm the fucking Daddy!" overdub. It's only a matter of time.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Was pretty cool, I think it has to be seen at IMAX or else it will just suck, since the 3D goodness is pretty much the main reason to see it IMHO.
    It was fun enough, but not very engaging, poorly paced in a lot of places, and sometimes just downright silly.

It was painfully obvious after the perfectly mocapped "main character" sequences that a lot of the animation was pretty weak, the scene when they're all riding along on horses was rubbish, it looked like they were glued to the saddles and the horses were just jerking up and down, really unnatural.

The dragon scenes were awesome though, and definitely worth the price of admission alone, especially in IMAX.

Oh yeah, and Angelina Jolie wink.gifsmile.giflaugh.gif
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I agree on the animation Mop, but the pacing was great I thought. Just about the moment it lulled it picked right back up at breakneck speed. That's not to say it didn't have slower spots, but they seemed about the right length without over staying their welcome.

And yeah the dragon was really nice. And yeah the 3d goodiness was definitely the big selling point.