Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Projects - Work in Progress

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Updated 12/1 with sci-fi project render.

scifi1.jpg

scifi2.jpg

downtown3.jpg

downtown.jpg

night1.jpg

night2.jpg

night3.jpg

Thanks for all the crits and advice.

There is no target really for this project, just a portfolio piece and learning mostly, it's for my final senior projects at school.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks really nice man, i really like the lightning smile.gif it would awesome if it had a sunset lightning too wink.gif will you do various lightning hours ?
  • Flewda
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Like Johny said, it's looking really good. Not much to critique at this point. The one thing I would suggest is giving the a curb a chamfer. I see some chamfers on some of the building trim that's higher up, but none on the curb.

Other than that, it's looking to be a really solid piece. Nice job!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, yeah the texturing is due on Monday, which maybe a bit rough but I'll be busy all weekend laugh.gif

Then I got 3 weeks to do the lighting, and it's gonna be two lighting scenarios for each piece. So yeah there will be a day scene and a twilight scene for this particular piece.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    now that i look at it i would add more stuff, to the ground details like cans maybe newspaper etc something to make it more ineteresting, maybe even a sewer grate dunno eheh , good luck !
  • demoncage
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    agree, looks super nice. great render. any reason the phone lines can't use some more polys?
  • Mark Dygert
    Looks great, nice lighting! Texture this and 3 other scenes by Monday? Good luck, you're a brave brave man! Maybe by 2 weeks from next Moday, heh.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I'll up the poly's on those wires.. thanks and add a little more clutter, I do have some cans and trash near the dumpster but will add a few down the alley
  • Flewda
    Offline / Send Message
    The push bars for the doors seem a touch high. The doors in general seem very narrow (or just tall). Just feels odd, but that could just be me.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I wanna see some paper leafs, trash, smashed windows, a fire hydrant, storm drain and prolly a man hole to go with it...it a generic scene well modeled that could use some more appeal.

Lighting's ace.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, I'll move the pushbar down, I was looking at door sizes and seems right about 80 inches x 32 inches and the door handles right around 35 or so inches, so I'll fix that up a bit, here's a boring interior with generic lighting from the above scene laugh.gif

int.jpg

int2.jpg
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I don't want to alarm you but I think someone removed the ceiling in that room
    tongue.gif
    more seriously I don't think the lighting is boring, it's just that if it was coming through the windows, it would look way more moody and interesting...
    unless the ceiling is a big light ?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i have the ceiling hidden, I haven't put any lighting in there yet so I removed the ceiling to at least get a render laugh.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
  • danpants
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Wow! I thought it was a reference picture at first glance. And its not finished textured yet lol. Nice job.
  • Flewda
    Offline / Send Message
    There is one darker brick that makes it pretty obvious it's a repeating texture. It's on the second line of bricks up from the concrete trim in the middle of the building. Does it have a bump or normal map on it? It doesn't really seem to show well if you do.
    The stains under the windows feel like they are all the same. Vary it up a bit. Make one have more streaks and leaking than just a general darker area. It'd be cool if the leaky one had a stain that actually went over the middle concrete trim, and then saw a small/faint stain on the sidewalk, where it would have eventually leaked to.

Just some ideas. I think the biggest issue for me is just have repetitive the textures look. But not a bad start by any means, keep going smile.gif
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    Once he combines the surface I think he can do the variations all in one.

Adding on the road seems somewhat off scale, the lines on the street seems to be way too close to the sidewalk...and the width doesn't look like vehicles can really drive through.
  • Incomitatum
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    Hey those look great. A few questions. Do you mind if we get a wire-frame shot, so we can see some of the topology of your buildings?

Also how did you go about texturing? Tiled, and scaled Planar Maps? Or did you actually unwrap the buildings?

Are you using 512's?

Thank you for giving me something to look up to.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated top most post with my latest render, I'm gonna go back and redo the fireescape i'm not too happy with it. Also for some I'm having to track down an issue with my normals not showing up in my render for some reason, although I see them fine in 'high quality' mode. :/

I'll post some wireframes when I'm completed, right now it was a kind of rush job to finish the project so I haven't really went back and merged verts and things so it's a pretty unruly mesh. laugh.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    finished the 'daylight' scene up gotta get cracking on the other scenes, I'll update the page when I get those done, and then the other lighting scenarios.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I've posted this before in some other threads, and some of your renders appear to be pretty blurred. If you are using Max, turn off the crappy area filter in Max. Use Catmull, or at the very least, turn the Area filter way down.

Re-render.

renderut9.jpg

If you are using Maya, Maya will also apply a blurry filter on your textures when you bring them in. I'm not a Maya user, but someone around here is and knows what I am talking about. Turn that filter off as well if you are using Maya.
  • demoncage
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    Wow Dekard, those outside renders turned out really damn nice. inside seems to be coming along just as well. can't wait to see more.
  • Mark Dygert
    Those look great!

My only beef is with the doors in the alley, or rather the lack of door frames. I'm not really sure what is holding up the bricks at the top of the door. You where careful to make sure bricks where not cut in half, thats a good step but you need to finish off the doors. Actually when doors are delivered to a construction site they are in frames already, no one ever bolts a door right to brick.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    downtown_doorframe.jpg

Love the awesome cut off seam on the sides...you should throw in the frame and perhaps break it off with some unique worn on the corners.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dekard, you rendering in Max? Read Ott's post asap if you are!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah unfortunately it's rendered in Maya :/ and yeah I'm looking at a frame now for the doorway. smile.gif Thanks ya'lls!!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    fixed a few of the issues and uploaded the evening scene... still trying to figure out the best way to throw some lights from the windows out there without putting an area light on each window sill.. laugh.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    everyone has to have a scifi hallway.. anywho second render scene for finals.
  • Mark Dygert
    Cool start on the sci-fi hallway.

Suggestions:
    - The spec on the metal is really flat.
    - The lights run right into the door bulkhead. Organize your tiles so the door isn't cutting into the middle of one.
    - The hallway has some really straight lines if you broke those lines up with large bulk heads it might give you more details to play with. You have one beam already but it is is really flat and doesn't offer much in the way of detail. If you put in larger bulkheads that stick farther out from the walls they will cast shadows and those shadows will help detail out the scene.
    - The bottom access panel tiles don't fit the wall tiles. In most cases when you do repetitive hallways you want to it in chunk that is all the same length floor, walls and trim it with bulkheads. Think of it more as building with modular tiles instead of applying textures that tile. Making different pieces as you go, corners, interesting details doorways, and place them in every 3-4th bulkhead. It will help you plan out details and you'll never get a doorway that clips into details like the lights do. It also helps to create 2-3 different types of bulkhead trim pieces so you can set an interesting pattern down the hall way.
    DeckardSci-FiHallway.gif

- The lighting is kind of flat and mechanical. Think about what you want to draw attention to, is it the access panel by the door? Could you put a light on it and turn down the rest of the lights so the foreground is slightly darker? It would create a focal point and make the viewer want to go explore the panel and go thru the door. So instead of the scene being "look at my scene" it becomes "figure out what you're going to do if this was a game screenshot". In portfolio pieces you want to foster that "explore more" feeling in people, it can help drive them back to your main gallery page and "explore more" of your art. It's using lighting as a tool to draw out more detail, modeling with this extra level of detail in mind will help you create more interesting scenes. Most people approach lighting as an after thought, "my scene is done now how do I light it" instead of "I've got this blocked I should do a rough lighting pass before I get to far along".
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks vig, that paintover rocks.. laugh.gif makes tons of sense, I kinda let this one get away from me a bit, was rushing to get it finished for my finals, once the semester is over I'll revisit it and make those changes, it's actually a fly through so yeah the door opens up to a control center of sorts and you see outside into space.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    It'd also be nice to take out one or two lights in between to break it up...as even so it still looks too uniform.

Once you get the opportunity to look back into it...there so much more stuff you can populate the scene with...