Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

silverhawk wip.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
stimpack polycounter lvl 10
Here is a current lil project im working on in my downtime. My buddy wanted a new character to animate, so i volunteered to make it.

This is the main guy from the cartoon silverhawks. If your not familiar with that show, u can watch this and be up to speed http://youtube.com/watch?v=FV8BYu3FhFQ .

thoughts and crits are most wanted!

thx.

highpoly

highpolydone.jpg

highpoly with face

highpolywithface.jpg

quick face scuplt

test3.jpg

still working on the low poly, here is progress.

lowpolywireswip.jpg

lastly, face lowpoly. this is just color ontop of the AO and normal.

lowpolyface.jpg

thx for viewn.

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks good! i like the face texture! the highpoly suit looks a bit plastic-like, but i'm sure it's still very wip.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work was wondering when someone would create these guys. Where be the wings? wink.gif also for just color that face texture looks nice.

Can't wait for more progress GJ.!
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet! I have fond memories of that show. Although seeing it now, I don't see why (Bluegrass anyone?). Looks really good so far
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    RAINBOW IN THE NIIIIIIIGHT

Face looks awesome, good work so far.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the love guys! im having a ton of fun working on this!

edit: wings are in the works =) i got a spot reserved for them on the UV layout, just gota finish making them.

Here is lowpoly with AO and Normal shot onto it. uhhhh ignore the black areas, those are errors i havent painted out yet =)

lowpolyAOnormal.jpg

cheers.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Looks neat, I was wondering what process are you using to generate an AO map, is it Xnormal?! Since the face is the only thing textured can we see the flat??

Have any ideas yet for the silver process yet? & are you going to suprise us with his silver-hawk? wink.gif.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glade u like. the whole thing is done in max, only parts i used another progy for was arm and face, and i used zbrush for that. I just set up a render to texture with the high and low to do AO and normal at same time =) ive got xnormal installed, but ive not even opened it yet.

here are flats like you wanted, fore warning, the blank spot is where wings are going to go, and ignore the errors, havent cleaned maps yet

flat.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Aha, I remember this show.

He's looking good thus far. Its been at least 15 years since I've seen Silverhawks but if I remember rightly, don't the face plates slip in to a niche under the hair armour? I remember when they were going into action they'd all pull down their masks in sequence and it'd be all cool and stuff.

Is there any reason given why he's only got a horizontal mould line on his left leg?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah I had one of these toys! Don't think I ever followed the show.

Mine was a kind of semihuman girlish character with a golden body and a white face. On of my fav toys as a kid, kinda flimsy tho.

Good progress on yours! Mouth might be a tad wide and you might want to sylize his face a little to convey more of a 'cool leader' look... Just personal taste.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackablade: your right! the mask comes out when they do that swoosh movement with there hand over there face. I have no idea where the mask actually comes from, but it happens so fast i didnt bother to make it workable. when we animate him, we will probably just do a gradient on the opacity =) the horozontal line was on him in the cartoon so i put it, i guess there is only one for interest? not really sure.

pior: thats the copper kid!!! thats the character i originally wanted to do! im not sure if its a boy or a girl tho, hes just kinda the sidkick i think. thanks for spotn the mouth width. i originally made the eyes too wide and the mouth fit at that time. so ill tinker with the mouth a bit =)
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    So awesome, I loved silverhawks.
  • roolie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just realized who you are Phil, lol.
  • The Umbrella Man
    Man that's a bad ass model. The only thing I can critique is his overall bulk, he seems a bit more massive in the cartoon. More Jacked up if you will, but that's pretty much it, just impressive stuff so far, can't wait to see him in action.

EDIT: One other thing, I noticed those weird arcs behind the cups in the knees, does that help the deformation of the model?
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a bit more progress (not alot). ive just been messing around trying to find something that looks like silver. currently this is diff/spec/norm/gloss. Once I feel this is silverish, ill start adding more intereste, ie: scratches, discoloration ect ect. also there are a few shading errors being caused by normal map needing to be painted in that area.

lowpoly1.jpg

lowpoly2.jpg

ps. me and painting skin are not friends! that was much harder than i anticipated....and frustrating too!

@ roolie: uh oh, i been spotted!
    @ umbrella man: thank you! i tried to avoid going too over the top with this guy, i wanted a happy medium between cartoon and realish, i hope i hit that mark =) also the arcs behind the knees i originally made out of geo for the low poly b/c i didnt think the projection cage would be able to pick up those details with out warping them. as it turns out, it worked just fine so i deleted that geo =) ill post current wires soon.

thx for viewn!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I think you need some kind of environment map to get a real silvery look. Check out some of Metroid Prime's stuff, or this by Vitaly:
    http://www.t3h-v.com/folio/alien.html
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    very cool design!
  • Austin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a slick model, very very smooth. I love it.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my buddy sent me these pics today as a weight test. hes doing up the rig for the hawk. Its still very wip he said, but i think it looks so rad i just have to share! nothing more exciting to me, than to see my work move from that boring t pose and come to life!!

disclaimer: this is model with original AO and normal, not recent maps.

quick2.jpg
    quick.jpg

enjoy =)
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    He's lookin' pretty good, man! Those poses look like he would fit right into City of Heroes!

Are you going to model in the wings that appeared from his sides to his forearms when he flew?

PS. You can watch the SilverHawks on Winamp if you search through the AOL TV thing-- or one of the TV things on Winamp, anyway...
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so im a bit stuck on the reflections issue and could use some help. can someone please explain to me how i can have reflections not affect certains areas (like u would paint up a spec map w/ black and white) then have it still react to the rest of the model as if it were set to env maping? I dont want any reflections on the skin, but when i set the reflection mode to "texture" instead of "environment" it looks horrible on the rest of the model.

this is a quick lil work around i did. i just assigned a diff material ball to the skin parts. that worked for the arms, but i cant do that for the face b/c i dont have the mask sectioned off by geometry. so it would have to be an all or nothing kinda deal on the face. Im sure there has to be a blend mode, or something that i can plug in a mask in the material editor....im just not finding it.

thanks in advance!

ps. if my explination was confusing i can take screen shots and illustrate what i mean.

lowpolyreflections.jpg
  • s!nz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope someone helps out with your problem I am still watchin this thread, I just hit a speed bump / slowed me down but im still here for ya smile.gif it's lookin good.
  • The Umbrella Man
    Probably would help if you could post your reflection map that you are using, so we could see what you were doing wrong. Off the top of my head I would say that all you need to do is copy your diffuse and use a gray scale map to show the value levels of the reflection and just make the skin parts pure black so they reflect nothing.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Just paint your reflection map like you would and alpha channel. First figure out what your software considers reflective, is pure white 100% reflective or is it pure black. The shades in between make it less or more reflective. Add a black and white checker to reflection map slot so you can figure out how your software renders things or you can read the manual. Add something in the scene so it can reflect something. Once you know what your software considers reflective you paint your map.

Alex
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    You need a grayscale map that defines reflective power, yeah. And, naturally, a shader that supports it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    personaly i think some of the more flexable parts, like along the side of the body could be done with a silver mesh cloth type texture, to add a little variation and pizazz to the character.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    personaly i think some of the more flexable parts, like along the side of the body could be done with a silver mesh cloth type texture, to add a little variation and pizazz to the character.

[/ QUOTE ]

love that idea smile.gif
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah, im so dumb. i was using a standard material in max, when i needed to be using raytrace. moment i set it up, it worked like a champ!

thanks for all the feedback and help guys, really appreciate it =D

@ rhinokey: very good idea! i was lookn into that already. im thinking about making those areas mayb a 10% darker so it helps "pop" the armor pieces a bit more =D

ok, its halloween so i probably wont work much on this today, but more updates to follow in the next few days =)

thx again!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thread sliped onto page 2 again! oh how time flys when ur worked like a slave =/

Here is what im going to call the "finished" product. I could nit pick, and find stuff here and there to tweak, But over all i feel its pretty much as best as my ability can make it go right now. Ofcource if there are valid complaints on things, ill most certainly revisit and fix stuff! so dont hold back on the crits!

thx for viewing. Time to start the next model for portfolioooooo! gdc is looming around the corner, so i gota bust gnar fast!

finished2.jpg

finished1.jpg

finished3.jpg

cheers!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 17
    it looks prety dope...but i wouldn't say finished...cause whats a hawk without wings
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    I think he looks cool, but not silvery enough-- right now the metal looks more like brushed aluminum with a clearcoat over it. Maybe make the metal a brighter color, or mess with the specularity-- the falloff on the spec seems to dissipate rather evenly, so the metal looks rough under the reflection. Otherwise, excellent model!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    pretty sexy. You should drop him in UE3 or another engine posed to see how he looks
  • bbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a very cool model!