Home General Discussion

New Computer, Any Ideas?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
As my computer is slowly dieing, I have started looking around for a suitable replacement. I need a complete overhaul as everything on this machine is a piece of shit (take my 9600Pro for example). I was just wondering what you guys could suggest for a high range computer (NOT EXTREME) but still decent enough to play UT3 at a decent setting when it comes out. Or, if you just want to abuse me and my poor computer, that is fine also. I'm a man, I can take it.

laugh.gif

Anyway guys, any thoughts?

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Hmmm mine's a AMD Dual Core with 8800 GTS EVGA graphics card with about 2 GB RAM, it's bee nable to run those programs without much issues, I suggest you get to this level if you can...but mine is custom built and all so not sure if you can get the same. Also have at least 300 GB in your HDD.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    you can snag a sweet intel quad core for around 300 now.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I'd say either wait about 2 months for when the Geforce 9000 series is launched, or get yourself one with a Geforce 8600 (Runs everything, just no maxing out for the newest stuff) 2+gb of ram, 2 or 4 core Duo processor, and you should be set.

Computers are a dime a dozen these days. I just got the above rig (8600 256, 2.4ghz core 2, 2gb ram) for $500 the other day. Someone else I know found a deal on another similar comp but with a 2.6ghz core2 and an 8800 for the same price recently. Just keep a look out for deals at stores durring the next few months leading into the holiday shopping season.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I'd wait for the 9000 and get the base 8800. It's quite drastically better than the 8600s. Other than that, I'd lean toward an Intel duo core and make sure to get 2+ gigs of ram, and a huge harddrive.

Also, one other think that a lot of people overlook is to get a nice high quality power supply. If you're doing a custom build, don't skimp on this. Quality means lots of connections, plenty of power, and that your machine will likely be much more quiet.

I just went to add in an additional hard drive, but discovered that my crappy power supply only had one SATA connection. So my new 750 gig drive that I need for video editing just sits on my desk until my new power supply arrives on Thursday.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    You can get this computer off newegg for under $700:

AMD 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2
    ASUS SLi-Ready Mobo
    2GB Mushkin DDR2 800
    Geforce 8800GTS 640MB

My personal suggestion is, if its for gaming, shy away from Quad core right now, thats an extra $100+ for something that isn't going to be used. If you have the money, go for a Core2Duo, and I agree that if you wait two months the prices will drop on the 8800s and you'll be able to grab one for cheap. Unless of course the 9's tempt you too much. Get at LEAST two gigs of ram, but if you decide on 3, get two 1gb sticks and two 512mb(if you can find them), as to get Dual Channel... or just go all the way with 4.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I'd recommend an equally priced core duo 2 against a AM2 Processor atm. They are preforming much better. I would go for Quad core if you are going to render alot.

Actually they just did a performance roundup of CPU's and GPU's for UT3 that would be worth checking out.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3127
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    They now have a good comparison of the lower end cards to the high end ones for UT3: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3128&p=4