Home General Discussion

Unreal Tournament 3

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry but the mirrors and files didn't work, won't connect.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    anyone have a torrent up or anything? I'll try the mirrors now.. I got another 40 min to wait for stupid freaking file planet that doesn't use torrents for public downloads..
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    AHH I am unlocking mine right now. Sweet baby. Let the good times begin.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    torrent is capped at 20kb apparently it's annoying as hell, and all the links I can find go at like 5-10kb/sec..

20 more min till fileplanet saves the day I guess..
  • Husch
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH god its sexy. runs great on my lappy at medium...i'm gonna try max and see if my laptop starts on fire and explodes.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    heh, mine finished dling and is starting to install....

sure is taking a long ass time configuring my new software installation..
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Ohh, I just had to reboot my system and then it runs fine, Looks great!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man i jacked up the texture detail, the res up to 1900x1200 or whatever the max was and turned everything up as high as possible. Still ran pretty damn smooth.

Wow I love you Epic. I think I might love you more than my own family. Will you adopt me?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=25016377&postcount=3

Smoothly done... @ key on a UK keyboard is hardcoded to the console key so you can't type in your email address smile.gif

That said, it looks pretty nice and runs very well even on a modest PC.
    The demo maps are pretty interesting, although they all feel very small, especially the "vehicle CTF" map (which has a beautifully detailed bridge which looks amazing!), however the bridge pretty much fills the map and leaves everything else feeling a bit small and cramped.

Looks great though. Loading times aren't bad either, and the whole thing feels pretty fluid (I like the vehicle controls).

I'll probably pick this up when it comes out, although since I'm more of a Q3'er than a UT'er it'll probably be more for the eye candy than the gameplay smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool demo, and really nice graphics... it just feels a bit too much like just a graphical update to UT2004 and nothing more though.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I run the game at full speed with everything maxed!
    1280*1024
    OMG.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how do you take screenshots?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    btw folks, the demo version has all the textures and so on half what the max is, so the max quality setting in the demo is closer to what normal setting will be with the full game.

r.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    wait, so the sliders go to 10, and the textures are better? is that what you are saying?
    "the demo version has all the textures and so on half what the max is"

this is just a little confusing, kinda makes it sound like the demo has 'all the textures'

CONFIRM?

oh man it's so awesome. I need a better computer
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what rorshach means is that the textures aren't at full res for the demo. So max settings on the demo means that is basically the res the full game will be on normal settings.

So max crazy blow my fucking mind settings will look even more gorgeous.

So how do you take screen grabs? Printscreen, f10, f12 didn't work.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    holy crap. can't wait.

I tried putting settings all the way up.. I can do it ok at 800x600... once I put it to 1024 my comp craps out after a second. Looks SO beautiful though.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    im told that the LOD bias is set more aggressively in the demo version than in the final version ( havent been on UT for a few months, im a little out of touch).
    So, it will look a bit better in final version, but it won't be night and day.

r.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Just tried it fo 5 min at work. I dont think it likes my work Quadro card, but man it looks good and feels nice. Reminds me of the good ole days of UT. UT99 :P
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Looks slick and runs very good.
    One thing that bugs me a bit is that i didnt see any world shadows? Are they DX10 only or totally disabled?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks badass, plays silky smooth, I'm liking the demo quite a bit.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin: Printscreen + photoshop smile.gif
    SO.. this is just normal?
    frown.gif wtf..
    Well. i think my pc will handle it. smile.gif
    when does the game come out~?
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Need new pc frown.gif

It plays but not all that pretty. It looks awesome when I crank up the settings though, but yeah, it's a slideshow.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    UT3Demo\UTGame\Movies and rename the .bik files to .bak no more watching intro movies wink.gif worked in BF2 works in UT3 demo.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Oh that was great! Brings back the sweet UT memories laugh.gif I haven't been so excited about checking out demo in a long while. But the game freezes when I try to go online. Maybe multiplayer is disabled in demo?
    Still, awesome work, Epic! <3
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    gah,, another steaming turd, how many times must i buy the same fucking game, flush it down the bog with halo 3, and COD4. come on peoples. L2p.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    the invisible walls in suspense are disappointing. Would have thought those would be resolved by now.

I can run that game at about 30fps with everything maxed at 1024. The Settings feel really lacking in options.

Tempted to buy the game, but that'd be more for mod possibilities than to play UT3 itself. never been big on the series.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    rad...grabbing it now
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Loving the demo. Exactly what I expected. Upgraded UT goodness. Looking forward to the CE version.

Great job to the Epic crew here on PC. Fuck Yeah!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    So here's what I got from the UT demo:
    - It crashed my whole computer the first time I tried to run it.
    - The menu system... cool.. but you guys couldn't have hidden the fact you were making a console menu a little better?
    - The gameplay... It's lost that speed and craziness that was the UT series. I know I'm going to go back and continue to play UT2k4 for a long while if this is what I can expect of UT3. It feels like what GoW MP could have been if it wasn't GoW MP.
    - That being said... it's fun. Really. It's a new direction for UT gameplay. Slowed down some, but it still has that UT feel to it.
    - Had to run my system at pretty much lowest settings, and it still noticeably slowed occassionally. Kind of suprising for a Core 2 @ 1.83 ghz with a gig of ram and a 7600 that ran HL2 Ep2 damn well. I'm damn glad I'm building a new, fully watercooled system around the end of the year.
    - I'm lookin forward to giving vehicle / level creation a try. Here's hoping the tutorial vids for custom character / vehicle creation for UT3 are as good as they were for UT2k4.
    - I take it by the fact that the hoverboards slow down to a crawl on water that someone there's a fan of Back to the Future.

----

Oh yah, and I completely agree with Keg... Invisible walls.. BAD EPIC, BAD! Especially on that bridge level... frown.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ QUOTE ]
    wait, so the sliders go to 10, and the textures are better? is that what you are saying?
    "the demo version has all the textures and so on half what the max is"

[/ QUOTE ]

nono... this game goes to 11...
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    You guys should try F9 to make screenshots! laugh.gif
    They are located in: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\David\Eigene Dateien\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 Demo\UTGame\ScreenShots
    (German Windows :P)

I can get 30 fps with nearly everthing to max and at 1920x1200 but when enemys get in my sight its 20 fps frown.gif, so i have to set world and texture slider to middel.
    The render slider is annoying but that seems the trick to get it running smooth at old machines.

Gameplay is fun, its UT! smile.gif
    But playing online matches with 24 players in 6 player DM maps is stupid and that is what nearly every server does. I play most of the time against bots, they are very clever now but still not very human to me. The Flak cannon sucks in UT3 its like they made it slow in every aspect, but the bots know how to use it, they get in front of you with 1 meter distance and you cant shake them off till you dead! laugh.gif
    The bots set to "skilled" is allready hard for me, thats a bit frustrating.
    Whats your setting for the bots? smile.gif
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    just tried it, Im really impressed with the quality, the weapons feel really good and I like the way the game is slightly slower and more tactical than original UTs. Doesnt play perfectly on my 6800GT but Im playing 1024x768 everything full and it plays ok.

that walker on heat ray is rediculous! people are just going to fight over that thing non stop
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    omg
    I love it
    vehicle physics are awesome, the darkwalker is a lot of fun to play with, the vctf map is great and the deathmatch map...well it's a dm map, can't be wrong with that

I'm really happy to see that epic didn't lie when they said it would be closer to the original UT, been playing ut99 a lot lately and the gameplay is as good, just with beauty on top of it laugh.gif

I love how the players and weapons feel heavy yet fast and manoeuverable.

GJ guys !!

btw, Ror, if you manage to see him, please say hi to Checker (Bastiaan) for me smile.gif tell him his fave frenchman misses him tongue.gif

oh and I run it all max 1440*900 at 60 fps, me=teh happeh
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    One thing that bugs me a bit is that i didnt see any world shadows? Are they DX10 only or totally disabled?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Try turning your world detail up in the video settings -> advanced settings. I think they don't show up if you're lower than 4.

Frank the Avenger
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    The Darkwalker is so good it has to be fattening.

The Hellbender can be pretty awesome. Firing a spread of shock rifle energy balls along a main pathway for enemies and hitting one with the flash beam sets them off in a chain reaction than can devastate a very large area.

Love the sounds and feel of the Darkwalker, it really feels like a scarey beast, both using it and running from it.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Screenies for those that haven't yet. Also somewhat a warning. This was on a 6800gt and a Athlon 3200 XP. Even with these lower settings, I still wasnt getting anything near good FPS. So older systems beware, it really has a curve for the graphics to be playable.

Thats Ok, tax refunds will bless me.

ut3demo2.jpg
    ut3demo1.jpg

<ul type="square">[*]Dual jumping and dodge still exist.
    [*]Upgraded weaponry feel.
    [*]Feels like a UT title.
    [*]New Machines are awesome. I feel like Im an alien in War of the Worlds. [/list]

Dislikes:
    <ul type="square">[*]Bullshit install of using my windows install partition for swap while it was installed on another drive. This is with my system temp and tmp moved unto different partitions. Don't use a MSI install please for the full install Epic. I had to try to find space to allow the swapage as my windows side only has 3 gigs or so.
    [*]BS of Ageia not giving an option of what drive to install itself on.
    [*]Console menus. Bad show! Cmon, would it really have hurt to redo the menus for the PC? Its like a slap in the face. I can't even get the preferences dialog anymore under console. I think the community is going to be really pushing for these in future patches. Maybe a mod group will do the right thing.
    [*]No longer one directory install. It has folders all over my system and in "My documents". Cmon Epic, do you really think your PC client
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    my poor system at home was getting 12fps on every level, (~ stat fps) time to invest in that new 8800.

I was a little sad that the menu's weren't as polished as UT2004, but this is a demo so maybe the full version will have that dazzle and multi layered menus.

Congrats to everyone that worked on UT3 smile.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I honestly didn't notice the game playing any 'slower' than 2k4 or ut99. maybe it's because I haven't played 99 in years (though I do play ut2k4 every week).. so um. whatever!

feels awesome to me. Can't wait to get the full game.

but yeah, not a huge fan of the menu layout as compared to the older games.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Graphics Comparison
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6180936/index.html
    Looks like the normal maps are not in world detail 1 and 2
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    so gameplay is more similar to the original UT than UT2k3/2k4? sounds promising, never liked the quake-like speedups in those games and thus skipped them.
    still waiting how the ps3 version turns out since that will be most likely my platform of choice. pc install troubles are so 1990's wink.gif
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I like this. Can run it on maximum settings, with good framerates here. The atmosphere change is even better (i.e. it's NOT RETARDED)

only issues are lag, and config saving (i had to install extracted rather than use the installer, because I don't have a C:\ partition the installer demands to 'temporary' place files on)
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Loved it. Definitely reminded me more of '99 style gameplay - which is no bad thing. I don't think I ever let up on my 'w' key all through ShangriLa. smile.gif

Also, it flies along like shit off a shovel and looks like the dog's bollocks at native res (1920x1600) on my dell lappy.

I was buying it anyway for unrealed, but I'm doubly happy now.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Love it.
    Reminds me of ut'99 but prettier, and with more stuff (in ways).
    It kills my computer, but runs decently on my brother's.
    You know what my favorite feature is? The F button. So much fun. I can see it being useful somehow in a tactical situation if properly executed.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    You know what my favorite feature is? The F button. So much fun. I can see it being useful somehow in a tactical situation if properly executed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yeah that's been a staple for the unrealengine 1.x games, glad they brought it back
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    So nice of the ut3 demo not to including an uninstaller.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, mine has an uninstaller in the start menu.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Lupus: that's a shortcut to nothing
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, just tried it and yeah, nada.