Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Openfrag Orc

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
Hi guys, I thought that because I post so much I should actually show some of my work. This orc is for a project I am working on called openfrag. Here is the concept (not by me, but another member of the project).
concept.jpg

And here is the model, base state finished

wip.jpg

I tried to keep it all in quads because I want to take him into zbrush and normal map him eventually. I know the concept isnt very anatomically correct, but I tried to stay to it as much as possible.

Also, a question, is it alright to use other peoples models as reference for your own work. Like, the hands and feet on this model were very closely based on arsh's basemans (very similar, in fact). I wanted to model them myself to improve skills and workflow, but the result is that the look very similar, if not almost to the point of not telling the difference. If its a problem then I will just remake the hands and feet based on my memory of making these ones smile.gif

Anyway, looking for crits on polyflow and stuff, anything you can dig out would be great. Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, although the shoulder joint will probably not deform very well, and the elbow and knee joints are a bit too undetailed.

I don't see a problem with using other peoples meshes as an inspiration btw.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like you referenced your shoulder joints of Arsh's base mesh too, they need another loop for animation purposes. Other than that the shape looks good. I also reference from Arsh's mesh lol, its a really nice lowpoly mesh with loops in the right places but clear of any definition though you should bare in mind that he posted it as a sculpting base mesh, not a lowpoly character so he left animation loops and instead focused on poly distrobution. Have a look at some of the other character models here to give you an idea of where the animation loops need to be.