Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT2004 Map: CTF-MobiusConcourse (updated)

FunkaDelicDass
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
Here's some new screenshots with changes as suggested by you guys. I tweaked the lighting and added some subtle fog to help with the busy-ness. I also made some minor tweaks to some of the static meshes:

mob4b1.1screenA.jpg

mob4b1.1screenB.jpg

mob4b1.1screenC.jpg

mob4b1.1screenD.jpg

And the old pics for comparison:

mob4betaA.jpg

mob4betaB.jpg

There are more screens and stuff at my website:

http://www.sunny-d.com/mobiusconcourse.htm

I'm still tweaking some things so it's not quite ready for release. If anyone wants to test out a beta version, send me a PM and I'll give you a link to the latest build.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that looks truly excellent! I need to get playing some ut2004 smile.gif
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    very cool imagination
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    GOD DAMN FOR UT2004 THAT IS AWESOME. Wow... can't wait to see what you do with UT3.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    very nice, I might just download this for use at a LAN party I'm hosting in november.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    really nice man, great imagination ! i dont know if you have included, but maybe on those orange transparent walkways, maybe make a shader that when your player is on top of it circuits glow below them , i kinda dunno how to explain this damn....great work man !
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice work!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not gonna follow the trend and praise you, because I don't agree with what has been said, so here is, shortly, my lill' crit.

You have some interesting meshes, although very classic scifi stuff, but damn that stuff is busy, detail everywhere, no lead, mainly due to the lighting which is very uniform, colors are too "shy" AND saturated at the same time, detail is not constant (loads of very detailed meshes on top of a very simple bsp wall and simple texture.
    I'd suggest you to gove more identity to the lighting, more strenght, spread the detail a little more on the bsp (use modular meshes) while trying to keep the view as clean as possible (not superclean, of course but you know what I mean, scale is really fucked up in ut2004, so huge meshes like that will completely overhelm the tiny characters, the uniform and monochromatic lighting doesn't help at all, everything seems to look the same.
    the building heioght seems to be the same all the time too, which may be boring, you want to push that a little more, create variation to create more dramatic scenery (if you saw the necris level thing with the vehicles - and since you seem quite hyped about ut3 I'm pretty sure you did- you will know what I mean.

so far, to me, it looks like a technically well achieved ut2004 level, but lacking a lot of identity to stand out of the MASSIVE crowd of existing high quality levels made for UT2004.

I'd be happy to have a go at the map itself to better see that, give more in depth crits (that central room you have on your site seems even busier than the shots you posted here, which is a bit scary gameplay-wise). I'm also curious to play it, see how the gameplay works in there.

keep it up man smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Looks good but it could go a LOT further with better lighting. Right now you have a ton of colors and everything is lit very bright. Try sticking with a more restricted palette and have some pockets of shadows to let the important areas really pop.
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    it looks great to me - I really like the mesh and texture builds you have at your site- good job man :]
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys. Vahl and tinman, thanks for the crits. I'll definitely go back and address some of the areas you guys suggested. I still haven't released a final version, so if anyone else would like to play it and send me some crits, drop me a PM!
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey FunkadelicDass

Nice to see some of your stuff dude smile.gif

Im gonna gree with vahl on the ligthing,it does look very flat and I think it could be pushed much much further. a chance to make soemthing thats good to kick arse arwsome here.

good luck dude!

John
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    awesome! wheres the download?

also, mind if we see some pictures of the objects themselves?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vahl and Tin hit some really good points I didn't pick up on when I looked at this today earlier today. I still think it looks really cool but definitely take what those guys said and push this further.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe it's just me, but I kinda like the somewhat muted lighting and color. Granted, some of the shadows could stand to be a bit sharper, but that's just some minor tweaks to the overall level properties. Loving the level's look overall, and I can't wait to get home from work to try it out (forgot to toss my copy of UT on my work system...). smile.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    At first glance, it looks awesome, an amazing ammount of detail involved. Really love the glass walkways, nice touch there.

My main crit would be that some of the textures seem a little flat, and lack detail. Otherwise, stunning looking.

How are framerates?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hope you don't mind but i did a quick paintover of some ideas.

A few things to give the eye a pathway to follow. My first paintover actually.

unrealLevel.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    This is a very fine level also I think IronHawk's paintover really brings this level to life, I would recommend those adjustments!

Excellent work!
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First post updated with new pics.

IronHawk - thanks for the paintover, I went ahead and applied a lot of your changes.

Irritant - I built the map on my almost 3 year old laptop (Pentium M 1.8, 2 gigs of ram, geforce go 6600) and I get acceptable framerates. It can bog down for me in the center area with multiple guys on screen. That said I wouldn't recommend downloading it if you run on low - medium low settings.

flaagan, $!nz - thanks!

bounchfx - there's pictures of some of individual objects on my website, check the link in the first post. When it's officially released I'll post the download links here.