Home General Discussion

SKATE

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Demo's out on 360 now. I suspect with Bioshock being out not a lot of you are trying this out. But those who have, how is it? I'll have to wait until tomorrow to give it a go.

Our boy malcolm worked on environments for that game I believe too.

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh shit! he did? ok. im sold then.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It looks cool. I'll certainly give it a go after work.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its sweet... downloaded it yesterday [i was worried it'd take a few hours... but i was lucky to have it done in 45minutes.] i played 2 sessions [u know... 30 minute time limit] and the game is sweet. the graphics are great, and its crystal clear, even on my SDTV [my dad told me "u see how clear this is compared to gears... which does have some aliasing 'issues'.. but not that bad]. The animations are amazing, and they really feel like ur doing it [i skate btw]. Balance, speed, getting onto and off of grinds and manuals looks fluid. Lines look like actual lines and not crazy combos. The environments are SWEET. The ledges etc. look like they've been waxed and skated on.... i can spot em from a few miles away laugh.gif. The only problem is that the rails look too shiny and new.
    My other complaint is that, with the flickit, its not possible to do all the tricks u want to. I have yet to land a varial flip [heel or kick] and sometimes i pop too early, getting little height, and hitting rails that i'm trying to get onto. But thta'll just take some getting used to. But yeah, extremely immersive and shit. imma buy it sept 12... almost 100% sure laugh.gif!

PS: i dunno how non-skaters would take the game though. they might think its 'boring' cuz u can't see insane tricks [or stunts as i call em in Tony Hawk Games]. While skaters would appreciate the game for its realism. Then again, i'm probably wrong lol!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The game is really cool. Trouble is it makes me more interested in learning to skate than paying 60$ to play it for hours and hours...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i'm in love with it. Landing tricks never felt so fucking good.

In messing around i mastered hard flips and inward heels, as well as a few grinds. Had one or two lines, a hardflip-nosebluntslide-shove out... i literally jumped out of my chair. The other was the varial-salad down a rail... omg i love this game smile.gif

Learning the controls is a little hard, and took me a long while. I'm by no means good yet, but its so much fun. I cant wait for the full game.

only things i wish i could do would be some boneless stuff or inverts and reverts. may not have figured it out yet though.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to revert, push down on the left stick, then shift it to the right and then left [like pivot it from the center,don't move it _from_ the centre]. depending on ur direction, it'll either be a BS or FS revert.

oh, and the best line i got was a laserflip to noseblunt. weee! but i'm not consistent with variels and hardflips etc. controls do take getting used to.

oh, and i almost landed a quad flip lol!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the only ramp in the demo is that bowl, yeah? I forgot about the weight shift pumping stuff you have to do to gain speed on transitions, i may try that tonight.

will play with the reverts laugh.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Backflip christ air is the best I pulled off...
    Landed on a rail upside down, though
    Awesome demo, kept me going till bioshock
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been looking for another decent skating game, The last one I played was Tony Hawk's 3 on PS1. I'll be downloading this one this weekend if BioShock doesn't occupy too much of my time.

-caseyjones
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i finally got a hold of back foot flip tricks [do an ollie gesture, and then do a 'nollie-flip' gesture, or vice versa]... so this means there are 'hidden' tricks that we haven't been told about by the developers...still looking how to do the 'impossible' i am laugh.gif!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    wow i am quite impressed. played this tonight for a bit and it is pretty slick. I am really digging it. feels like a real skater type game and was fun.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I've been playing bio pretty much non stop but I played the skate demo about 4 times I was so impressed with it. props to ea. the learning curve is definitely there and it still feels weird doing some shit but I can see in more time it will be natural.

they got me to rent/buy it
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    Downloaded the demo, pleasantly surprised by it. I thought it looked awesome, but wasn't expecting to like the flick system so much.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    WTF? I cant see a playable demo on XBL?!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    asmuel: probably cause it's a north america demo?

Really enjoyed the demo, but noticed a couple times where everything lagged. and having to go through all the tutorials is slightly annoying if you want to replay the demo.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    asmuel: probably cause it's a north america demo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah fucking bullshit, I thought we were past the stage where I had to wait around for shit that's out in north america mad.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Content: skate demo.
    Price: Free
    Availability: Not available in Austria, Belgium, Finland, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Mexico or New Zealand
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    why don't you have an american account for downloading things like this, asmuel?
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    The demo was pretty kickass. I love the flicking but can't stand having to press A or X for pumping and pulling my thumb away from the right stick... those should be on triggers as strange as that may feel.

Very sleek looking though and the response to grinds is awesome!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine: srsly?

Rick: Thanks Rick. Yea thats ratshit. It may not have been their fuck up, but I'm sure either way they could have made sure it gets here if they wanted it to. Fuckin bullshit mad.gif
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome game, played 3 sessions yesterday and 2 just couple minutes ago.
    Inidian_boy: im not a skater and I really love the tony hawk serries, but this feels much better. Oh and you can do varials, I dont know how, but I do it quite alot when I try to do pop shove its(if thats how its called:P im no skater)
    I'd really love to know how to do an impossible.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Marine: srsly?

Rick: Thanks Rick. Yea thats ratshit. It may not have been their fuck up, but I'm sure either way they could have made sure it gets here if they wanted it to. Fuckin bullshit mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And a fairly random bunch of countries to exclude. UK is OK, Ireland isn't?
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol. u guys should be happy! in india, XBox live isn't even up!

boy am i glad im in N. America right now laugh.gif!
    @_Oz: lol, kk. prove me wrong laugh.gif! but yeah, i was thinking majority wise. i had a friend from the embassy come over last night, and he thought the game was impossible to do. he was all like 'what do u mean "set up" a grind?' etc. anyways, about 'impossibles', i'm trying to figure out how to do those! oh yeah, and i've finally started nailing varials flips and hardflips / inward heelflips. they look so purty. hats off to the animators!

oh, and i'm going crazy trying to nail all the gaps within 30 seconds of 'film' so i can upload it laugh.gif!
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, you need to link your ea account to your gamertag, which doesnt really work for me:S, ill show you my vid when i finaly manage to view it.It has a really weird trick in it, i was doing alot of flips while standing still, my player suddenly jumped 2x higher than usual,small bug i think.
    Oh try using the B button with the grab triggers, you can take the board away from your feet laugh.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ive been practicing, a lot. I picked up all the flip tricks, although 360 flips, and laser flips seem to be my weak spot atm. Cant intentionally blunt either, not sure how that works (its gotta be part body and part nose/tail... but i dunno).

the manuals are kinda wierd, haven't been able to manual - flip - manual yet, but will pick it up.

also spent about 30 min carving the bowl, and just doing lip tricks (yay disaster- late smiths)

god i love this game.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Refreshing break from the Tony Hawk nonsense.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]

also spent about 30 min carving the bowl, and just doing lip tricks (yay disaster- late smiths)

god i love this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old school bowl loving. smile.gif

I dont have a comp that will run this yet but i will in a couple weeks and looking forward to it.

Moose not sure if you would even be interested but I built a UT2k4 map with a modded scorpion. Features a massive quarter pipe with a triple tombstone that has a kicker going over a gap into bowl with a hip and another massive quarter. The park is mostly sculpted terrain with tombstones for boosting vert.

I have been able to stick Mctwists in a scorp 50 ft out and nail the trannie on landing. I cant wait for the new engine.

Anyways if you want to check it out let me know.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, I've played the Skate demo more than Bioshock.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Ya, I was really looking forward to this, played it the first time and kinda thought; meh..
    But, I keep coming back to it again and again. Once you start being able to pick some nice lines and nail tricks you want to, it’s really awesome. I think I’ve changed my opinion from a no-buy to a buy.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha lol yeah. i was thinking that by releasing a demo of a game whose main factor [for some ppl at least] was the controls, they might be making a mistake. but for some reason, my wish to buy this game has just increased. pre-ordered from eb. [$80? isn't it normally $69.99 [canadian] up here?]

but yeah. it looks, sounds and feels like a skateboarding game. The music getting louder when u hit a great line reminds me of when i used to skate with my friends back in morocco. Lol.
    and now i've started streaming my music from my computer to the 360 as i skate. i like hitting lines that sync with the music, feels awesome laugh.gif!

only one complaint, doesn't the boarder slow down too soon? i mean. ABEC 9s go at great speeds [that goes without saying], but so do ABEC3s or 4s. So is this demo-skater riding ABEC 1s?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah the game is great, I try and play the demo at work whenever I have a few minutes. It's easy to pick up and just start skating. I love it. And landing some nice tricks feels reaally good.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Played the demo once; planning on preordering it soon. This is exactly the shot in the arm (and smack to the face) that the THPS series has needed all along.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it in parts (nice art), but the idea of fight night controls to do bording tricks is a bit bizzare. I hope EA don't make all their games control this way. If you have to use thumbstick to flip up footballs and tackle in the next Fifa release I'm definately jumping to pro evo.

I still prefer tony hawks because of the surrealism / escapism. Must be heaven for the folks that like a more realistic twist to skating games. laugh.gif
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    nice demo.

hehe yeh, hes using the old super nachi's.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    The character models really impressed me on this actually.

Hard game though.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same. the 30 minute demo is really appealing too... i know i wont get lost for 4 hours.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Takes time to get used to, since the control scheme is so unique. But once you got it down, damn is it fun smile.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    pretty cool to this non-skater. quite a big learning curve but seems to work very well. would like to try some of the later areas.

but it needs more CRUNCH in the ragdoll.. it's kinda like throwing a mannequin down the stairs, all blocky.

as realistic as the rest is, physics included, once you fall off it's meh. seeing the pain should be part of the fun. tongue.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same. the 30 minute demo is really appealing too... i know i wont get lost for 4 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Me too!
    I decided to play BioShock all weekend because I had nothing else on. Played for a short while until I got to the first save point then I got that xbox announcement that the skate demo was done.
    Off went BioShock and played Skate for a few hours. Damn good game and I'm a huge fan of the controls. It actually brings an element of skill to the game instead of just mashing a bunch of buttons like in THPS.
    I'll be picking this one up the day it comes out.

-caseyjones
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck I want to play this, comes out on Sep 11 from what I hear. I hope they release it here ontime!

[ QUOTE ]
    but it needs more CRUNCH in the ragdoll.. it's kinda like throwing a mannequin down the stairs, all blocky.

as realistic as the rest is, physics included, once you fall off it's meh. seeing the pain should be part of the fun. tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I want to see realistic bails. Broken ankles and fractured skulls. Then you'd think twice before ollieing a deathgap. That would be awesome.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    11? YAY! one less day to wait!

list of achievements had been released a while ago btw [no im not an achievement whore, its just a nice aspect of the 360]:
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/achievements.php?gameID=287

i hate the online ones. its like, a trick to make u want gold -_-.
    anyways, some of the terminology in there has got me even more psyched! 'milestones' 'spots' for example. damn i cannot wait! i hope school work isn't a bitch in canada. i wanna spend some good time with this game.

btw: how does one, rocket air and christ air? i dunno which buttons to press frown.gif.
    meh, off to pack my bags.
    peace
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Christ Air: hold the Right Trigger while in the air and press B.
    No Footer: Hold Left Trigger while in the air and press B.
    Coffin: Hold both Triggers any time and press B.

found this yesterday
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh thanks.
    oh, and i haven't managed a rocket air even once. wait. i dont think i've even managed a nose grab....
    then again, i'm no grabber. the team's called 'flip' not 'grab' [lol? meh, guess not]
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a great FAQ, cheers for the link Asherr.
  • bounchfx
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    yep. EA is pretty much the best company at making games. blush.gif

hehehe, just kidding.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    in all seriousness, theres a lot of great EA games in development coming up. well. uh. they aren't..exactly developing them... but they sure publish a good variety!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey just wondering. ovr here, the games releasing on sept 13, and its selling for 69.99. now i think i already asked this, which'd be annoying, but is there a sur-charge for preordering at eb games? cuz i heard that in some places its gonna sell for 59.99. does eb games charge extra for pre-orders? or is eb games just generally overpriced?

thanks.

btw: yes. we all luv EA produced games grin.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    hey just wondering. ovr here, the games releasing on sept 13, and its selling for 69.99. now i think i already asked this, which'd be annoying, but is there a sur-charge for preordering at eb games? cuz i heard that in some places its gonna sell for 59.99. does eb games charge extra for pre-orders? or is eb games just generally overpriced?

thanks.

btw: yes. we all luv EA produced games grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

um, in usa eb/gs is normal priced, and no lol, there is no sur charge for pre ordering. it comes off the price of the game.

sadly enough, some people honestly believe they are being charged extra.