Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Portfolio/Resume

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
I just finished finally setting up my first portfolio and resume.

http://www.projectbonzai.com/Contact.html

I realize that the selection of work that I chose to upload is small since it's the only stuff that I consider up to my current standard, but I'm working on fixing that bit.

All crits would be helpful! Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say smile.gif

Replies

• xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    a good one, matt! - simple/clear/short/design is ok/good modelsheets
    some crit: bind the model sheets into your page design (background/centered...) & the color for the menue falls into the background - bring it forward with a brighter color/highlight/...
    & 2 more portfolio pieces (different setting...) with the same/better quality and its perfect!

... ah life feels better as a spline poly142.gif
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    reeeally hard to read the 2d/3d image buttons, I was just clicking randomly before I noticed them
  • Bensart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Unleashed. Although it didn't take me long to find the 3D and 2D buttons I did scroll down the page and wonder where your work was at first. I would definately suggest changing that, make the text stand out more. At the moment it is blending with the background a little too much.

Something I also dont like doing when viewing websites is using the back tool in the toolbar. I would much prefer to have the option on the webpage itself. A simple banner would rectify this. However this is just a personal preference and the key thing is to show off your art work.

I'm also not a fan of the mouse over to view the wireframes. Again, personal preference.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    The thing about this design - and content - is, that it isn't exactly neutral.

It has a clear historical feel to it.
    So if you would apply to me (if I would have a game company) for a job and we are looking for sci-fi style work, I wouldn't hire you, simply because your design AND content tell me you are incapable or at least have no interest in sci-fi.

So my advice is; neutral design and create all range content for your portfolio. I know that nobody would hire you for sci-fi work on your word alone. They want to see it!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe have ur 3d work appear on the page template? u have 2d drawings on either side of the 'scroll'. why not add some of ur 3d work there? and yeah, those buttons were hard to read.

nice idea about the roll-over wireframes by the way.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Turn off the crappy area filter in Max.

Use Catmull, or at the very least, turn the Area filter way down.

Re-render.

renderut9.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    clicked the link

didn't see any art or large buttons leading me to gallery,
    scrolled down looking for art
    started clicking randomly
    finally realized that the graphic at the top contains links inside it.
    closed window.

decided i should give it one more try and looked at the art.
    I doubt people forced to look at tons of these sites will give you that second chance.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    what is the area filter you are talking about ott? I wouldn't be surprised if I was doing the same thing?
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    It's the default texture filter when rendering in max which makes your textures look blurry and soft. Catmul rom will sharpen the image, much like the sharpen or unsharp mask filter in photoshop and give you crisper results. Maya has a similar issue w/ texture filtering.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Actually that is just for general image AA. I prefer to use one of the more smooth AA options and turn off or turn down the Filter Maps option, that way you let AA handle the texture smoothing and you still get nice AA on poly edges. Or even better use global super sampling and mess with the options.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    what is the area filter you are talking about ott? I wouldn't be surprised if I was doing the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the picture not load?

Probably 90% of everyone I see render out of Max doesn't know about this smirk.gif Don't know why Max and Maya by default would blur your texture / renders, but it does.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Using these non-default settings that ott and gamedev mentioned are also much better for your render to texture normal / ao maps as well. The result will be much smoother.

I tend to use catmull-rom and then max 2.5 or hammersley..
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    The website hurts you, loose the concept work from the side panels and change the header grahic for something simple and sleek. At the moment the combination of them immediately makes me think that I probably wont be interested in your art.

The models show your potential so make sure the site doesn't hide that. smile.gif
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    Turn off the crappy area filter in Max.

Use Catmull, or at the very least, turn the Area filter way down.

Re-render.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man I love you, I've been trying to figure out how to fix that ever since I got my hands on 3DS Max 6 years ago.

Thanks for the crits guys, I'll have to start from scratch with a newer one when I get the chance.