Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blue shark skin WIP

dj snyder
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
dj snyder polycounter lvl 14
I'm finishing up this, and thought you guys might have some ideas.

I still need to paint gills and teeth, and probably make some kind of attempt at a lateral line. Apart from that, I'm open to suggestions smile.gif

22363.jpg
22364.jpg
22365.jpg

Skin

Replies

• Carl Brannstrom
    Is that resulotion of the texture really nessecary? Since sharks have a smooth exterior, I think 256x512 would do fine.
  • dj snyder
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad habit of mine. Every model is like my baby frown.gif

On the other hand, while sharks ARE pretty smooth, the few details they do have are pretty small. I'm thinking of compromising and scaling it to 1024x512
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also add, there's a ton of wasted space at the top of the layout, and that eyeball has WAY too much UV space.
  • dj snyder
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry, I'll fill it with funny pictures smile.gif

(I know it's not great, it's the first UV I ever did--I'll do better next time I promise!)
  • zenarion
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    where are the gils?
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yep- needs gills. Also I think your UV layout is probably as good as its going to get. if you dont want to be batteling seams like crazy. Some objects are just to oblog when it comes to an unwrap. could be wrong, but I think you unwrap is juuuuust fine. so why not take up that extra space with a super detailed eye :P

you have some really nice wrinkles painted in here and there. I would take those much further and make them bigger, and more pronounced. Also I noticed you have a general noise of small blue spots that accent the blue- again something where you have the right idea, you just need to take it a bit further. play with size, value, and placement of these spots. right now the texture looks like it wouldnt be much different if reduced by 50% its res, so adding this will not only take advantage of the resolution your painting at, but will break up the blurry blue-ness and add some nice contrast and noise-
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure where your uvs are that people are commenting on, guess I am going blind. But to comment that you will do better next time I think is something that you should reconsider. No time like the present, and this would be a good example of now that some people have pointed out problems with this mesh and uv's, you should go back and rework to learn from. Also, I personally go by the idea that your pixtel density should remain pretty close to reality, meaning you dont have a head that takes up half the texture space, while the rest of the body uses the rest...hell it will just look like you came out of the womb half blurry:) Well good luck on this, no matter what you do.

Spark
  • Mark Dygert
    Looking good.

I would be tempted to actually model gills, and animate them, I would do the same for the eyelids but thats just me and it depends on what the model will be used for.
  • dj snyder
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    you have some really nice wrinkles painted in here and there. I would take those much further and make them bigger, and more pronounced. Also I noticed you have a general noise of small blue spots that accent the blue- again something where you have the right idea, you just need to take it a bit further. play with size, value, and placement of these spots. right now the texture looks like it wouldnt be much different if reduced by 50% its res, so adding this will not only take advantage of the resolution your painting at, but will break up the blurry blue-ness and add some nice contrast and noise-

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'll work on that. smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Not sure where your uvs are that people are commenting on, guess I am going blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small link right below the images...I probably could have made it more obvious

[ QUOTE ]
    But to comment that you will do better next time I think is something that you should reconsider. No time like the present, and this would be a good example of now that some people have pointed out problems with this mesh and uv's, you should go back and rework to learn from. Also, I personally go by the idea that your pixtel density should remain pretty close to reality, meaning you dont have a head that takes up half the texture space, while the rest of the body uses the rest...hell it will just look like you came out of the womb half blurry:) Well good luck on this, no matter what you do.

Spark

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...I guess I figured considering I'd basically have to start over on the skin to re-do the UV, and considering I WAS aware of the efficiency issue at the time and can't currently think of any way to improve the space usage...wasn't worth going back

Anyway I've worked on the front area some smile.gif
    22465.jpg
    22466.jpg