Home General Discussion

Silo 2 is out! Rejoice!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
http://www.nevercenter.com/download/

Silo 2 has FINALLY hit the streets. If you got in and got the free updgrade, it's time to get downloading. If you didn't, you should free up some cash and buy this gem.

..why are you still here? GO GO GO!

Replies

• skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    And you don't need to free up much since it's a pretty cheap price. I bought my copy about a year ago just for the free Silo 2 upgrade.... and it rocks!!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    And you also get a bunch of free upgrades for quite some time. Well worth it.

Modelling package of choice.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Indeed with the woop wooping.

Still a few wee kinks, but the program is more awesome than the hoff in speedos (glances at Per).

Rick I read you say something before about using the sclupting and snapping to massage a low poly model over a high poly. How do you do that? I've tried and can't get the thing to use snapping at all when using the brushes.

And yay for all 2.x upgrades being free.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I paid my $110 for it back in Sept 2003... back when they had the initial 'buy now, get 2.0 for free' deal. Was surprised they even remembered that, but it looks like I won't be paying for another upgrade till 3.0. That's one purchase that paid itself over in spades.

Wonder if another 4 years will pass before the next full upgrade... =D. Badass little modeler. Awesome dev team.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Rick I read you say something before about using the sclupting and snapping to massage a low poly model over a high poly. How do you do that? I've tried and can't get the thing to use snapping at all when using the brushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It only worked in one build of the mac version. I think better things are to come though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also have to say that the level of service I'd gotten puts most companies to shame. Bugfixes in days rather than month, and the features added for free between version 1 and 2 were phenomenal - we are not just talking about bugfixes and a new command here and there.

Once of the thing I really like is that they are not scared of ripping commands out and replacing 3 functions with 1. The cut command is a good example of this - it's a cut tool, connect tool and slice all in one.

http://www.nevercenter.com/about/videos/?vidclip=cut_tool.mov
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    $159? This is indeed a very reasonable price for a full-featured modeler. Does Silo have animation tools? More importantly, has everyone here who uses the program been satisfied with the price they paid, and the features that it offers?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silo is pure modeling, with sculpting and uv mapping. No animation.

Yes, very happy with it, and I've not really got into the sculpting yet.

Nevercenter really listen to their userbase and add features (and bug fix) at a pretty impressive rate. $159 for this program alone is a great deal, but free updates for all 2.x versions is a rather nice boost too.

I'll phrase it this way, if I had to use maya for modeling (without the NEX tools) over silo, I'd rather stab myself in the face. Then invite you all to join in.

Even seeing videos of things like polyboost (which I've not used but am sure is very good), they just seem pretty slow compared to silo.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dammit, was hoping it'd stay beta a little longer so I coulda got it at the cheaper price. oh well.

I just started learning it a while ago on my friends beta copy, I like it.
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup, loving silo2. I hear ya Lupus, Im trying to learn modeling in maya just to be easier to hire but its so damn painful coming from silo. I hope they fix the edge slide tool soon. Its been acting weird for the last couple of updates.
    Such an easy to recommend app.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    mvelasquez - Go to modify menu and set Slide opt to 0. smile.gif
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been trying it out since Friday and I really like it. The fact that it's cheap and runs on Mac and PC is great. I can actually see myself using this in a production setting first to build low poly meshes over high poly geometry and as I get more confident with it as a modeling app I might switch. The interface and the speed it handles high poly models leave Max in the dust. It might replace Mudbox as a sculpting app unless they get their asses in gear and get some projection painting and UV tools in place. Either way, neither will be replacing ZB3 anytime soon.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Cross platform support = awesome
    Good customer support = sweet
    Base mesh editing while sculpting = holy crap!
    Support for UV mapping and normal map generation = FTW

The program is clearly not a feature-rich as major applications like Maya, Max, or SoftImage. For that matter, it isn't even as feature rich as Blender. However, its price reflects its tight focus on pure modeling. And from what I have seen so far, it is extremely competent at that.

I have another question(s) for those who are experienced at Silo. Any program that is pure modeling, will have to be integrated with other software in the long run. And that means you have to have exporters. Silo claims to have several. What have your experiences been like exporting models from Silo? Also, a sculpting program generally requires a decent amount of horsepower. I've played around with sculpting in Blender, and on my system it maxes out around one and a half million polygons. How has Silo performed with very high-poly sculpting on your systems?

I'm a bit busy with other projects right now, so I don't have the time to try out the trial version myself. I want to save that until I can actually commit some serious time to it.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Downloaded the trial last night and had a very quick go of it, though not enough to make any serious judgement. But from the posts I've read here, it looks like it will be a really sweet program.
    Especially hearing about the kind of support and updates that comes with the software. With that price tag... Its unbeatable.

-caseyjones
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone is coming from Max and want a jump on setting up controls in Silo 2: http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11849

The Colors are Maya's though smile.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    My ex bought my Silo 1.4 license for me and now she won't give me the upgrade key! frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    My ex bought my Silo 1.4 license for me and now she won't give me the upgrade key! frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    lulz
    burn

shouldnt have cheated on her, lol
    joking
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    What woman want's to have her ex get a free upgrade?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's ass! I can see why she's an 'ex' wink.gif

-caseyjones
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And their brand-new forum's gone tits up, hurrah.

Excellent, that.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If anyone is coming from Max and want a jump on setting up controls in Silo 2: http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11849

The Colors are Maya's though smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah! Why in the world would you do that? The best thing about Silo is its customizability wink.gif

Anyone got any interesting control schemes? I turn off the manipulator and use this for my mouse:

Asthane_Silo_MouseConfig_01.png

It works nicely for me. Keyboard is pretty much standard. Colors are standard at the moment too, but I'll likely change them to something bluer.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use the scheme as a base to start from if you like.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    And their brand-new forum's gone tits up, hurrah.

Excellent, that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were just complaining about the new look of the forums. It's actually been hacked frown.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. It's been replaced by an Nevercenter message now though, so i assume they patched the forum.
    Asthane: have they made it so hiding the manipulator actually turns it off? Just making it transparent really wasn't doing it for me, the issues with selecting were driving me crazy.
    I'll have a go at your setup one of these days
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Here's mine, used with a logitech mx1000. I don't use X2 for anything at all.

MouseCfg.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit, they added 'No Manipulator'? That's seriously good news. So serious, i think i'll hug someone. Come into my arms, Gwot, and snuggle!

well, you were nearest.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Asthane: have they made it so hiding the manipulator actually turns it off? Just making it transparent really wasn't doing it for me, the issues with selecting were driving me crazy.
    I'll have a go at your setup one of these days

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the Show Manipulator toggle and the No Manipulator tool seem to work fine, yep.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I'm trying to use this instead of Maya as I've heard such good things. Frustration is creeping in though.

How, when in area selection, do you select the components behind? Say a cube, you area select over it all - it won't select the back components.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I believe there's an option for "Select Thru" - sounds like you'd be better off assigning that as your main selection method (like on left mouse button or whatever) - I think it defaults to "Select Visible".
  • stargazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's set to left mouse button for select visible, middle mouse button for select through. You really should open up the mouse settings and take a look tho

/goes back to lurking
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, if you want to select the entire cube, why not go into object-selection? or select one face and Grow Selection (which expands the selection to the edges)
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    Is there a border or element selection?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't seem to import quads anymore, so it is pretty much useless as far as I can tell.

[edit]

Seems to load some files fine... I have no idea what is going on with this
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird,have you tried the latest update? I think there was a post 2.0 one.

Been importing and exporting stuff from this just fine at home and work, quads an all with no issues.
  • solvalou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solvalou polycounter lvl 17
    How good is Silo2 in doing hard surfaces? I tried the demo of Silo a looong time ago and I came away with the impression that it was only good for organic subdiv, not inorganic subdiv. Really fast modeler though.

On a sidenote, i'm looking around for an alternative modeling package recently and the two main programs that i'm hearing good things of is Silo and Modo. Any suggestions? I come from a Max/polyboost background laugh.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    How is organic subd different from inorganic subd exactly?
  • solvalou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solvalou polycounter lvl 17
    I meant hard surface/inorganic subdiv, where you have to put loops near the edge to get a nice hard surface. When I tried Silo long ago I believe it you couldn't slide the verts along an edge so I thought it was only good for organics. Loved the tweak function though and still waiting for something like it to appear in max. Or I migrate to a new modeling package, whichever comes first smile.gif
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    You can also crease edges to get a hard surface.
    I tried Modo ones, i think Silo allows a faster workflow. Silo is also very good organized and much better to lern than modo.
    You should watch some of the vids here:
    http://www.nevercenter.com/about/videos/
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J is slide, solvalou, but only for edges
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Installed last night, glanced at the tutorial, and played around for a while. Much of an improvement from the version I used years ago, which even then was fantastic. I think I will be purchasing this as my modeler of choice.

Quick way to crash: Create a sphere. Activate the Displacement tool (T), middle click and drag down until outside of the viewport. If anyone on the Silo forums could pass that along to the developers, if it hasn't been already, that would be helpful.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    by the way does anyone know if its possible now to rotate around a point in space (camera target) like max/maya or are you still limited to rotating around an object/selection? that really bugged me sometimes
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roo: you can choose between rotating around selection or around a framed selection. I haven't tried the latter yet, as i've always used (and liked) rotating around the selection.
    So i don't think that covers what you're asking for, but please do start a feature request for it, chances are you're not alone in wanting it.

edit, ely: will do, i can replicate it here. Although you need to drag it outside of the program, not the viewport. Dragging it into a docked palette doesn't do anything
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    thanks pea. on my end it was only the viewport, while not in full screen. dragging any other direction worked fine, only down caused the error. i'm sure they'll have this fixed soon.

i've spent more time with the trial, and it is awesome to work with. and the displacement tool is fun. not as great as mudbox, or zbrush, but still useful and well worth the price.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought i'd just share my brushes here:
    http://www.rsart.co.uk/downloads/Pea_Silo_Brushes.sip Kindly hosted by Rick. Be sure to Rightclick-Save As, as just clicking it opens the file.

One of them (Square brush) just uses a square image, so just make that yourself.

Share yours!
    Brushes, colours, control settings...

When's the polycount wiki going up, kubster?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Cool stuff thanks Pea!