Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    ok here was a base texture i put on it a while ago

Untitled2.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok here is a wire...i know its fairly hig, but its for school.

wire_new.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i decided to revamp the textures.

new-build.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought the paint was a little to bright for what i was going for. So i desaturated the texture.....

new-build23.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a closer shot of the window detail

12monkeys.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was messing with some lights

light-expir.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok here is another environment i started the other day
    wire.jpg
    texture.jpg
    render.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i should have these finished soon, but i thought i would post my progress on here!!!:)
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the first pass of the growth on the environment

growth.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some lighting test
    screen2.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty!!

CORD.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'd say the model itself looks pretty good, except that you modeled in the brick creases. While it may only be for school, it's still very inefficient.
    I think the biggest downfall is with the texturing and lighting, though. It's extremely cartoony and unrealistic in every way. If that's the look you're going for though, then so be it.
    The textures look okay on their own, but they don't play well together. They look out of place next to one another, and in doing so, tend to scream out, "look I'm CG!". The normal maps used look fake, as if generated from the Nvidia photoshop filter. While that's not a bad thing, it doesn't work on pieces like this, were you get right up to objects. It's great for RTS games, or very simple/out of place objects. The last texture bit that bugs me is your use of specular. "Welcome to plasticville" could be the name of your environment. Everything looks exactly the same, like shiny wet plastic. Spend a little time making great specular maps, it really pays off in the end. The very last tentacle image looks cool though, very Prey-ish. smile.gif
    Keep it up man, will like to see how it turns out.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks for the crit!!!!! i really needed it.....I will do some tweaks on my textures.

On my building i know that cutting in the ridges on the wall is inefficient, but i was talked into doing it by a peer.....i just need to remember to say no (LOL)

i will keep posting
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The detail from the cut in geometry can easily be obtained from a normal map. That's what they're there for smile.gif
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEAH I WANTED TO DO THAT BUT I WAS TALKED OUT OF IT...............O WELL
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    One thing I noticed. Those graphites are quite high on the building wall. Of course there would have been some kind of crates next to it before and people have climbed on those to paint the wall. smile.gif
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Normally, yeah, but a couple of times I've seen dedicated vandals/"artists" here using climbing gear to descend the wall of a building to do their dirty deeds. Damn fascinating, just a shame they were just tagging, and not doing any real artistic graffiti..
  • andym12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The very last image looks rather... Unpleasant. But it's pretty cool other than that. The untextured floor of the scene throws the whole thing off though.

You could always weld the bricks together, it wouldn't take a second really. And the UVs wouldn't be all that difficult to fix if they got messed with.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    What is that shiny stuff?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting stuff I look forward to seeing it finished =)

Things to consider:
    - The slimy poo stuff looks wet and shinny, wouldn't that leave stains on the walls and soak into things? It doesn't seem to be blending into the scene like you would expect.

- The ceiling looks like the type of hanging ceiling you see in an office, those tiles are pretty weak and don't look strong enough to support the weight of the slimy poo.

- If that is an office ceiling and this is an abandon scene those tiles are notorious for sucking up moisture, discoloring and sprouting mold.

- Floating boards? How are the boards stuck to the brick, nails? Super glue or magical spit? Even brick windows will have trim most of the time, you can attach the boards to the trim, and it will give the windows a tiny bit more depth.

- How are the boards even stuck to each other? I'm not suggesting you model nails but perhaps paint them on the texture if the boards have their own textures. If its a tile you can do some pretty small nail heads with opacity maps or get creative with the tile and place a few nails in specific spots and adjust the UV's to maximize the placement of the nails.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man thanks for the awesome tips and critiques....I should be done with these soon but here is a quick solution to the graffiti. I had several crits about it being to high on my school forum as well.....so i flipped the texture.......what you guys think???......i will also model some nails for the wood...:)

new_graf.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newmeshxx7.th.jpg

I decided to go back and take out all the high res geometry and normal map this building.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I'm out of school I will be able to partake in the forum ruckus more often!!!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Your texture painting is getting there, but you need to figure out what those walls are made of.

Brick? Concrete?

Right now you have completely solid concrete slabs with brick wallpaper painted onto them.

You also have a little too much normal on objects that aren't established as to what they are. If these are concrete blocks, they would be blocks aligned next to each other and would therefore have creases of grout between each slab. Currently, it's one giant slab of stucco/concrete whats-it.

Also, the blue lighting isn't helping you at all with showing it off. Unless you are going to put it into a scene next to a bar or something with neon lights, use something less saturated when showing your stuff. Your walls are too hard to see and the textures therefore lit too weird for a good enough evaluation.

I would also lower the cadmium red running down the side of the building. Is that rust? Brick or stucco wouldn't stain that color unless something above it soaked down, or if this were the end of days and the walls decided to start bleeding. A bit of staining is good, but don't take it so far overboard that it draws attention away.

Your model is pretty solid, just keep working those textures and you will have a pretty sweet building.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah its a wall texture i found that had plaster over bricks so i used that in my diffuse map.

Thanks for the tips. BTW i like your art
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well im modeling some different props.
    Here is my progress....
    Render_WIP.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still trying to beef up my UV mapping skills....Any tips would be greatly appreciated. post-normal.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is a qick texture...im redoing this right now.texture_stasis.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a test renderno-diffuse.jpg
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Normals are kind of flat, they dont really seem to have depth. It would really help to generate your normals from geometry, if it already is from geometry it needs to be higher poly. The pieces look like they could use a lot more bevels on the edges and such.

The textured image is hard to decipher but it looks like either your light is just too dark and saturated or your texture is. The end result looks really burnt out. There also doesn't seem to be any diffuse information matching up with your normals. You should paint some edgework around edges on the normals and paint some dirt into creases.
  • Michael Spiral
    Good lookin cookin. I'm a newb at the game too, but this piece has potential. I stil have alot to learn when it comes to texturing myself... w/the different layers and all. is this personal or for a project of some sort? keep it up!
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies guys!!!

Tinman i love your stuff ive had your site saved in my favorites for a while. I'll beef up my high poly some more and my texture.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im trying to model some props so i can get in at a local game company as a prop artist.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Normals are kind a flat, probably 'cos of light.
    Few parts of normal are not looking good ( especially this bottom part of map) but I think U can correct it if U play with projection a little more.
    Incandescence map looks pretty odd, 'cos its glowing in light part,and its placed kind a chaotic. Imo U should put some lamps, dots and details that will logically glow instead of putting glow map every where ( even edges between surface and detail).
    U should also play a little more with colors, add more various colors not only 1 color and rust color. Put different color on a details, add some scratches, some oil leaks. Maybe try add more detail like hole in some part of this chamber and put into some cables.
    Hmm its all from me.
    Keep it up.
  • Michael Spiral
    props artist? same here. its kind of a niche too I've come to find out, so you're lucky to have a local and potential opportunity nearby. I know Blizzard is looking for background artists too... Sh*t, I shouldn't have said that!
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe background is not a prop artist smile.gif
    But it mostly depends of company policy, so I may be wrong.
    In my studio background artist is responsible for everything except characters, that including vehicles, weapons, levels, including design ( concepts too), modeling, uvw, high/zb/mud works, textures, rigging and often with good technical background but this is not essential. And yeah, props either smile.gif
    Most of companies specialize their artists and cutting departments like - props artist, vehicle artist, weapon artist and environment artist. But if U find out that some company is looking for background artist, it very often means that they are looking for Jack of all skills (except characters :P)
    I saw several artists in many companies working as a props artist, but I can't tell U now which one. Good memory but too short smile.gif
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah im going to apply as an environment artist, but i know some companies around here need some grunt prop guys. So thats what im focusing on. Just to get my foot in the door....lol
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some new things im working on. The character stuff is for a class that im taking. The gas pump is for my prop portfolio im trying to finish.

head_almost_final.jpg
    GAS_WIRES.jpgGAS_SHADED.jpg
    GAS_LOW-wip.jpg
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found out tonight after a crit from Spark that my gas pump has a lot of bad geometry. So Im having to restart on it, and try to finish it tomorrow.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I see that you are putting smoothing on your models there. That's cool if you are making a model for normal map generation, but generally not used in games.

The nose and ear are looking ok, but i would recommend modeling a head [if that is what you are doing] as one piece, as it is easier to deal with the topology and poly flow. It's better to model a whole head then trying to attach a nose to a mouth and so on.

The hand needs a lot of work. To tell you the truth I would even start over on that one. Here are some tutorials that might help. Oh, and an anatomy book can help as well.

Ben Mathis Tutorials
    The Famous Joan of Arc Tutorial
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's all looking good, just have to work on those construction issues and you'll be in great shape.

There are some changes I would make to the hands and the arms, so they deform better. Give this a look-see and think about how it can be applied to fingers, elbows and knees. I've started calling it the inverted joint, and it works like a champ for hands.
    http://www.pig-brain.com/tut02/tut02_02.htm

With the inverted joints you can place the bones higher in the fingers and help them keep their shape better then if you place them lower like you would normally do with "regular" joints, like what you have. And yeah you need to work out the palm, simply mirroring the top won't cut it. You can save many a poly and you'll need to more accurately mimic the palm anatomy. They really are two different sides of the same coin.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAN! Thanks VIG for that link on the joints! that is really helpful.

Cody-Yes im building the character basically as a base mesh for zbrush. I will use it to generate normal maps off of eventually...:)

Thanks for the tips and more progress to come soon.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my first mudbox model.
    I know i have a lot of work to do on this, but im just glad i got into mudbox finally.
    [image]MUD_1.jpg[/image]
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [image]MUD_2.jpg[/image]
    [image]mud_3.jpg[/image]
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Good to know you're pushing along...