Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steam world | 3D assets

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Astrofra polycounter lvl 15
Hi there, I'm currently work (on my spare time) on a small indy game, taking place in a steam punk world. I started a thread in CGTalk long time ago, but no one seems to pay attention over there, so I realized it could more relevant to Polycount community.

I'll try to post the evolution of my work, each time I create new assets (props, vehicles, enemies ...)

Basically, the game is freely adapted from an old 8-bit game , where the player controls an hovercraft in a gigantic maze full of rooms, mechanism, and traps. Here's a screenshot of the original game, so that u figure out :
amstrad_cpc_ss_mgt.png

First of all, here's the main vehicle. I made this one long time ago, and I'm not that happy with the result. I might refine it with proper normal maps, and may be a more functional cannon (a squared-shape cannon is just not useable, imho smile.gif

Wireframe :
mgt_16.jpg

Rendered turnarround :
tank.gif

Replies

• Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a Steam plane, that should be the start point of the game. This plane just crashed on a planet.

I quickly designed the landing site, and finished the plane itself yesterday.

Landing site :
    mgt_33a.jpg

Hi res version (before baking) :
    mgt_32a.jpg

Lo res version, 3DSMax screenshot :
    mgt_35.jpg

Lo res version, inside the 3D engine :
    mgt_36.jpg

A friend draw my attention on the fact that a wooden propeller might be the best idea, regarding the size & weight of the plane. I might model a new one, in steel, more plausible smile.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Wooohoo! Another frenchy with serious style! Awesome work man.

I got to play this little demo when I stayed with astrofa in Orelans, and it's way cooler in motion.

Welcome to Polycount buddy!

poop.gif
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the warm welcome Poop ! Got to say that being in your contact during 1 week was a serious boost to me, in terms of skills & motivation.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    The turnaround of the hovercraft looks cool. Looks like a fun little rally craft, I want to take it for a spin just looking at it. Is it being developped for computer?

If you want a crit, I'd say the yellow metal doesn't look as worn as the rest of the craft. It could just be the gif compression though, and its still looks sweet.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount. You've got some really cool looking stuff. It's got lots of style, and could definitely fit in a steam punk world.

I'd go about adding more detail, like gears, spinning bits, etc. to really drive the steam punk motif, as it seems kind of simple right at the moment. I'd also add some more "pop" to the normal maps. They don't look to be adding a lot right this moment.

Other than that, it's all looking great. Here's hoping you see the project through to the end. smile.gif
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Penzer, yes, I agree about the pieces in yellow (it's meant to be made of copper). I shall reinforce the dust on it, and use a blurred envmap to cast some more worn metallic reflections.

What do you mean by "developped for computer" ? Yes, it's made to run on a PC, not on a mobile or handeld device. That's why there are a lot, possibly, of waster polygons smile.gif

Garland u're right, the normal maps are too shy at the moment. It's my very first normal mapped model and I still need to find the correct balance between nice details and chaotic bumpiness. I need to check Poop's tutorials again, and word my normals in photoshop a little bit more smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    really cool stuff, i love the amount of specular on the silver plane, it's just perfect, very nice materials! smile.gif
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Love the style!
    Is there a pilot in the hovercraft?
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    The plane looks great inside the 3d engine, good work!
    Do you plan to make some npc's running around the level?
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl MMh, there's no plan to have human npc in the game so far, mainly because it would require a large amount of work to create & animate them, and our (homebrew) tools are not ready yet for character animation. It's not a real priority, given the gameplay we envisionned smile.gif Nevertheless, we planned to have dozens of various robots wandering here and there. Guess that qualify as npc too? laugh.gif

zenarion The hovercraft is meant to be unhabited, but I found out recently it's only 1m20 high !!! I didn't payed attention to its size, typical error smile.gif

MoP The specular on the HI version is good, but the spec map of the LO version is not subtle enuf i think.

In the meantime, I started another prop : a Steam Mainframe smile.gif
    Here's a preview, LO, HI, and HI rendered in AO.

mgt_39.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great style, I'd love to see how this game turns out.
    You could save some polys on the mainframe on the front detail and the top and let the normal map define that.
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mgt_40.jpg

Here's a first draft of the diffuse map applied on the mainframe. Need some more tweaking, a bump & spec map and it will look quite nice smile.gif

And then, to give u an idea of the actual size of this "mainframe" :
    mgt_40b.jpg
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man I think this looks great, I saw it a while back on CGTalk but I don't post much over there. I agree that adding some more gears and making it more complex-looking would help push the steampunk theme. Great work so far!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this stuff, great work so far. I would urge you to explore brass, copper and other metals to help break up the textures and define pieces. Don't get me wrong the texture work you have so far is great and fits I just think using other materials will help.

Awesome stuff keep chuggin' along!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    maybe in that item with the blue beams put a stronger highlight instead of that disperce one on the top ? right now seems like a mix of plastic and steel.

kickass work !
  • technodookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    technodookie polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome work! The texturing on the vehicles is especially delicious. Also, the chibi aspect of them reminds me of Metal Slug, which is one of my favorite shooters!
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yipe. Here's an ingame screenshot of the finished Mainframe. I'm not *that* happy about the result, especially because I realized my UVs are misproportionned, and the main box lacks the sufficient definition.

mgt_41.jpg

Here are the texmaps, for those who wonders :
    mgt_41_uv_sheet.jpg

technodookie Right, I'm trying to remain in the "Metal Slug" design line, with toonish proportions. It allows me to create stylish stuff with "realistic" materials smile.gif

Johny Yep, the highlight is probably not in the most relevant place. Actually I made a first baking with a strong skylight, hence the hi amout of light at its top. I realized in the end it was not a very good idea. I'll try to correct this in photoshop.

Thx for posting !!!! grin.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    candy!
    work on maps are very very nice, good job man!
  • hetsch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hell yeah. I remember watching this thread over at CGtalk,
    and I got to say that this project is certainly promising smile.gif

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guys !!!
    Vacations are over, so the progress might be somewhat slower. Here's another piece of hardware coming along :

mgt_42.jpg
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I like it, cuz it just registers as "stuff" in that steam punkish style, but I think you could really push farther to make these a little bit more accurate. As odd as that sounds for steam punk, there are just little fiddly bits that just don't feel right. Namely the giant bolts that aren't holding anything together. There are bolts, but no panel lines. (huh!?) There are some fiddly bits, but really they are just cylinders and blocks. What I am saying is, they are arbitrary, and seems like you're tending to keep them as primitives. Check out these references that a friend of mine took: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dn/160399571/in/set-72157594156002325/
    That photo set should have a great deal of large/detailed images of the gas works stuff. I think if you try to implement some of the things you see, such as vents, grates, panel lines, tubing/hydraulics, cables and so forth. It won't be long until you recognize patterns, and if you do a little research, you could make these pieces really shine.
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMMh, Yeah Elric, I see what you mean. That's what I was thinking in myself. My so-called "steam" props/contraption/whatever, might be esthetical, but they have nothing logical, plausible, functional, so far.

That's what I need to improve, If I want them to be relevant as steam-punk items.
    Thanks for pointing that out, as it was still unclear to me, thx for the flickr link as well !
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Eric, you could make your details more interesting, perhaps also check out 'urban exploration' sites. Use http://www.urb-ex.com/urban.php for a starter, lots of links in the link section going to similar sites if you like it.
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thx for the link to urban exploration website. I knew this site existed, but I didn't think about using the huge amount of reference it contains !

Some pictures are almost like paintings, and it seems to be that some of the shots in there might have been inspirated by the Silent Hill serie, or may be the opposite smile.gif
    I did some urban exploration here, in France, with some friends who are really into that. I remember having visited some abandonned quarries, and an experimental skytrain rail, made of concrete. Poop here visited that as well, when he came to France smile.gif

Just to mention that all those sorts of urban ruins are a true source of inspiration and thinking about what our brilliant civilisation may look like in the future. That's what i'm trying to explore in my game ...

Enuf said, I tried to add some pipe works to my contraption above, as Eric & StJoris suggested :

mgt_43.jpg
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi dudes !!! It's been a long time without any single updade. I apologize for that.

Here I am again, on tracks, with the latest prop I was working on, about to be finished :

mgt_44.jpg

I'll try to make a "beauty" render, within the engine, and show it to you in situation. I still need to finish both normal map & spec. map tongue.gif
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    LOVE the style, man. Keep it coming!
  • ohsomogilicious
    wow im like whoa impressed this all looks fantastic, the grunge in the tex maps looks fantastic, what are u using to model and render these? max maya, xsi?

i like to learn off those who show a great knack for these kinds of things : p
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks guys.

Ohsomogilicious : I'm using Max for all the stuff presented in this thread. The technique involved is quite simple : projection mapping of a hipoly mesh to a lowres cage, with an Ambient Occlusion shader. The resulting texture is then composited with random layers, and sometimes tweaked in bodypaint. Hope this helps smile.gif
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    fantastic work! love ur style~!
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty damn good, as always Astrofra.
    I was starting to think that U abandon this project, but U have not, and that great.
    Keep it coming. smile.gif
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yip, here's the finished prop, with normal & spec maps.
    Once again, I'm not that convinced, but I need to pursue... The next one will look better tongue.gif

(screengrabs from the engine)

mgt_45.jpg

Edit : On second though, I will refine it, it really looks crappy with all that specular, way too soft and blurry.
    I can't let it like that !! tongue.gif
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a few minutes to refine both diffuse, spec, and normal maps. It's more subttle now, better I think.

What do you thinks guys, in comparison with the previous screenshots?

mgt_46.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I am really loving this work. The textures have so much life to them even this elevator engine which isnt the most interesting of pieces looks spectacular. The game engine must be really cool! what engine is this anyway?
  • Jacus0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacus0 polycounter lvl 17
    Dude totally Nice...Youve Captured the essence of steam punk. The models and texture are selling it..
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showing some slow progress, I'm not working on the access pit the the underworld level that will constitute the beginning of the game. Sorry for the low res. of these screeshots frown.gif

mgt_48.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work, I'm glad you reworked the spec it looks much better. I'm wondering if the texture size is too big for the environment. The surrounding textures are pretty pixelated and it aways looks odd when pixel density doesn't match.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah cool stuff! although I'd rather see higher rez environment instead of lower prop rez to make them match
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, my apologizes about the lores map, it was really a shame. My graphic driver is not able to properly display 2 combined textures with different UVs, so the "stone" texture ended up with the UVs made for the baking.

Here's another screenshot, a bit cleaner, but the same issues still occurs. Not really a problem, as the engine will cope with this easily.

mgt_49.jpg

Gee, I'm really sloooow.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Thats looking very cool.
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mgt_50.jpg

hop. still a long way to go smile.gif
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    I hate it when people who have skillz say "oh, I'm slow and not that good" :P

What I think is funny (as in: great!) is that you have a very french style...very cite des enfants perdu/ circe du soleil...it translates very well in computer graphics. Keep it up and make me happy with great images :P
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more stuff, all shot directly from the engine ...

huge screenshot :
    http://astrofra.com/posts/tank/mgt_51.jpg

... and a smaller one :

mgt_51b.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've probably said it before, but holy handgrenades this is a good thread. Keep it up, gorgeous stuff!
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rasmus, just went to your webfolio, and YOUR stuff is amazing. Especially it looks cool and very well executed !!!

In the meantime, I did some more props :
    mgt_52.jpg

Ingame screenshots of this thing will follow.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I wanna see some animations! Love this stuff.
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mgt_52b.jpg

Here's the "in game" version.
    Thx Aesir !! Video shots will come later, as soon as a plausible gameplay will emerge smile.gif
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man.

Noticed now how your props (and even the floor there) has this really strong orange highlight - is that just an orange lightsource coupled with a high-contrast specmap? At first I though there was some more hi-tech mumbojumbo going on, like a fresnel/masked reflection map or something, but then again I don't smile.gif

Anyway, love your work, looks like you have a nice texture workflow going smile.gif Will be great to see this materialize into something more complete and gamey.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    this stuff is looking really nice!

- BoBo
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haye people of Polycount! After more than year of silence, I dare to come back and humbly invoke your attention and comments (or critics).

This thread was definitely abandonned, and so was this game project, but after monthes of reflections, I finally found a way to pursue this attempt.

Not that things have changed a lot, but my workflow experience matured a little, and I retrofited my ambitions to the workload capacity that usually comes with such an amateur and personnal project.

I'll take more time to detail the new roadmap and such, but in the meantime, please suffer an humble sneak peak :)

outdoor_03.jpg

Edit: the image above is a direct screenshot of the game engine I'm using for this project. On a workflow point of view, the major issue I ran into when originally starting the project was the assembling technique of the levels.
    I finally adopted for a tile-based approach, instead of modeling everything from scratch each time.

I'll post more on this topic that seems as essential to me as any other esthetic matters :)

Edit #2: more of the same, using the same tiles (and props), with a different light set.

water_01.jpg

water_02.jpg