Home General Discussion

3ds Max 2008

Replies

• RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like good news so far.
    I dread to see the price tag on this thing though.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    3ds Max 2008 software is US$3,495*. The Autodesk suggested retail price to upgrade from 3ds Max 9 to 3ds Max 2008 is US$795*.

*You still get a shitty product that is bloated with features you will never want to use.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *and the features that are long over due, will be half-assed at best.

With that said I'm mildly excited to see the MAXScript ProEditor. I'm wondering if the "viewport speed improvements" will really be all they hyped the 3ds 9 "viewport speed improvements" to be. I'm not a big fan of supporting a company that takes 5 years and 3 promises later to finally get a feature right. But then again it's not my money or my decision to use their software.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    i've gotten to the point where i am starting mild contract stuff (i still consider myself a lower 3d modeler atm), but my 3ds max version is getting way to old, and being that i don't work for a company my next major purcahse will be 3ds max. i did get a guy who said he'd sell me his version of 3ds max 8 for cheap, but he never replied back after i said i was interested. so i'll probably holdout for this to comeout before that purchase i suppose. the new features do sound quite nice.

edit: edited post to sound less rude, sorry about that.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly I'll be happy if they fix the viewport selection...seriously all I really want at this moment and time is for max to select the face or vertex that I actually clicked on, not the one that happened to be aligned up to it behind it somewhere else in the viewport.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Honestly I'll be happy if they fix the viewport selection...seriously all I really want at this moment and time is for max to select the face or vertex that I actually clicked on, not the one that happened to be aligned up to it behind it somewhere else in the viewport.

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds good. I like the idea of real-time self-shadowing previews with up to 64 lights.
    Selection highlighting is a welcome feature, and multi-object UVW unwrapping sounds good provided they manage it in a sensible way (why oh why can't they just make it like Maya's and allow the UVW window to be used like a regular viewport?).
    It'd be kinda disappointing if they didn't have iso-selection, especially since Silo does it so well.
    RTT improvements would be awesome (like maybe being able to specify a non-square texture without resorting to maxscript!), and the UV Projection stuff would be nice if it was more straightforward.

I look forward to trying this out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autodesk Rep: So look... our viewports are crazy fast now.
    Artist: excuse me what did you say? Wolf? What does that mean?
    Autodesk Rep: No no really they are fast let me show you.
    Artist: Stop saying Wolf, its not funny any more.
    Autodesk Rep: So all you do is export your model as .obj and then...
    Artist: Is that mudbox you're opening?
    Autodesk Rep: umm no its our new speedy viewport plug-in... we call it wolf^3.
    Artist: /punches rep in the nuts.
    Artist: so what other features do you have?
    Autodesk Rep: (in a high raspy voice) We made this tool that kind of makes it easier to write your own scripts.
    Artist: /punches rep in the nuts again.
    Artist: So I can do your job and write a logical interface?
    Artist: So I can do your job and make scripts that replace your 60 menus and 50+ clicks with one button?
    Autodesk Rep: We changed the title screen again... please don't go, I have a very expensive crack habit I'm >cough< not >cough< trying to kick. Please! My daughter needs diamond studded braces! My son's 32 yrs old, still lives with us and just wrecked his 30th Ferrari.
    Autodesk Rep: /rep starts to sob.
    Autodesk Rep: Ok honestly time, the only reason we bought Skymatter was because they had a really hot secretary.
    Artist: How hot?
    Autodesk Rep: Smokin, hot!
    Artist: Ok I'll buy it this time but you better get crackin' on an actual release this time, I mean it.
    Autodesk Rep: VEGAS HERE I COME!
    Autodesk Rep: /rep Takes off pants and runs toward the airport waving them around his head.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Autodesk Rep: So look... our viewports are crazy fast now.
    Artist: excuse me what did you say? Wolf? What does that mean?
    Autodesk Rep: No no really they are fast let me show you.
    Artist: Stop saying Wolf, its not funny any more.
    Autodesk Rep: So all you do is export your model as .obj and then...
    Artist: Is that mudbox you're opening?
    Autodesk Rep: umm no its our new speedy viewport plug-in... we call it wolf^3.
    Artist: /punches rep in the nuts.
    Artist: so what other features do you have?
    Autodesk Rep: (in a high raspy voice) We made this tool that kind of makes it easier to write your own scripts.
    Artist: /punches rep in the nuts again.
    Artist: So I can do your job and write a logical interface?
    Artist: So I can do your job and make scripts that replace your 60 menus and 50+ clicks with one button?
    Autodesk Rep: We changed the title screen again... please don't go, I have a very expensive crack habit I'm >cough< not >cough< trying to kick. Please! My daughter needs diamond studded braces! My son's 32 yrs old, still lives with us and just wrecked his 30th Ferrari.
    Autodesk Rep: /rep starts to sob.
    Autodesk Rep: Ok honestly time, the only reason we bought Skymatter was because they had a really hot secretary.
    Artist: How hot?
    Autodesk Rep: Smokin, hot!
    Artist: Ok I'll buy it this time but you better get crackin' on an actual release this time, I mean it.
    Autodesk Rep: VEGAS HERE I COME!
    Autodesk Rep: /rep Takes off pants and runs toward the airport waving them around his head.

[/ QUOTE ]

one word.. lithium

u did it all for the lulz
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh so true.

It is good to know that all that money goes into development and not silly things like parties on Aircraft Carriers...

I don't mean to totally crap on the release, I'm very excited to see some of the things they are working on. Especially the biped enhancements and the MaxScript ProEditor. I'm still a little cautious about "Review" I think it will have trouble living up to its hype. BUT if they continue to work on it, I bet it will be a great feature.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    wow that actually sounds pretty damn sweet, better than what I originally saw up on the autodesk website. thanks!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Users can now perform an Unwrap operation on the UVs of multiple objects simultaneously. This makes it significantly easier to organize the mapping of multiple objects into one texture – e.g., in the case of a car with various parts in it, all the parts can be quickly made part of the same map."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! About damn time!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I've been hoping for the pivot overrides since sing wings/mirai's vector ops, Hopefully it'll be as smooth/functional. I was using Freeze softselection before, but too slow. Silo's manipuator stuff is the best though and mapped to keys is lighting fast.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Users can now perform an Unwrap operation on the UVs of multiple objects simultaneously. This makes it significantly easier to organize the mapping of multiple objects into one texture – e.g., in the case of a car with various parts in it, all the parts can be quickly made part of the same map."

[/ QUOTE ]

Now just allow us to select and edit multiple objects at the same time and I'll be happy... If you can now do it with UVs let us do it with the actual geometry!
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Pivot Overrides are yumlicious!

MaxScript editor sounds good too!

Woot to Unwrap on multiple objects!

Phasing Biped completely out so we'll never have to work with its bullshit again is a stroke of genius!

Render to Texture presets will allow me to stop using that macro!

(I only made up one of those)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now just allow us to select and edit multiple objects at the same time and I'll be happy... If you can now do it with UVs let us do it with the actual geometry!

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can do that now... kind of...
    Just select multiple objects and apply the Edit Poly modifier. I suggest creating a "Named Selection Set" if you want to come back later and work on them all at the same time.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Pivot overrides is nice. Previously I was making groups to give me temporary pivots.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    You can do that now... kind of...
    Just select multiple objects and apply the Edit Poly modifier. I suggest creating a "Named Selection Set" if you want to come back later and work on them all at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a bit of a hassle... but it's better than nothing. Thanks for the tip smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The feature list sounds great, but then they usually do anyway. What we've come to expect is an instable initial release followed in a few months with temporary hotfixes and re-stabilizing service packs.

Then it'll finally be worth the upgrade. Even though we're on subscription, so we get it right away, we're gonna let the dust settle first.