Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

advice needed

hi, i just turn 20 months ago and currently in a bachelor of digital design course, in my 2nd year and next year would be my last. the papers we do circles around augmented reality, game design, animation and visualization.
i've been looking at the forums awhile and i assume most of you guys are doing these professionally. i'm wondering base on my current folio would i be able to get a job? here's my folio deviantart gallery
and what is best, concept artist or modeler? and where and how should i start, apparently it's hard to get a concept art job...

any advice or tips would be extremely helpful,
and thank you for taking your time to reply (if you do reply...)

hope i posted in the right place

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Probly wanted to post this in the Pimping section.

You've got some nice line drawings in there.... The spider thing is cool. There doesnt seem to be alot of finished work though. ......

There is a wealth of knowledge on the boards about industry standards, portfolio standards..etc.etc...just have to dig it up
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Moved to P&P forums, will probably get more useful feedback here.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have some really great pieces. It looks like you have a firm art background which is great. You are right concept art jobs are hard to come by and sometimes they end up being contract =/

You asked if one is better than the other? It all depends on what you like doing. If concepts is you thing, just know its hard for first timers to crack. It is also hard to find steady work, so I bet you'll end up doing some kind of production work until you can get your face out there. If you plan on going for a modeling job you'll need to show more finished modeling work along with construction shots.

I suggest taking the images you have, getting a little web space with your own domain and start organizing a portfolio. A Deviant art Gallery really doesn't scream pro even if the artwork is really good.

You have talent, now channel that into some marketable skills and you're in =)
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    You have some nice pieces, but overall it is lacking in focus and cohesion. Set up a proper gallery and organize the stuff better. Pick the things that you most enjoy and do more of it. To be bluntly honest from what you're showing I'm seeing some nice portraits, some decent concepts, some texturing with potential, and some mediocre modelling. For games, I might run with the concepting and texturing while boning up on your modelling skills a bit more. It's tough to be fantastic at everything, but if you have two very solid skillsets you should be very employable for a lot of companies.
  • emerge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah kay, thanks for the advice, i love doing concept art, modelling, and texturing too lol, just creating something from your head from start to finish is rewarding. thanks i'll try to improve on my modelling.

so i went and started making a folio template.. i know software, not softwares
    realreswebsitecopywq5.jpg

heres the model i did for legendrpg (indie company)
    757266235000009.jpg
    wire
    75726795375022wire.jpg
    100% difuse + wire
    75726904750032.jpg
    75727076625051wire.jpg
    100% difuse + wire
    75727170375061.jpg

I did render a turnaround for it but it was only 7 secs yet 40mb, would anyone please tell me what codec should I be rendering in?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I think for that model, you relied to heavily on existing textures. It looks like you applied a cross between a stone and a wood shader on him, and then painted some of the color difference on his back, his elbows, and the palms of his hands. I like the character. And I like the mesh. But I think it would benefit greatly if you took more time to custom-paint the texture map.

As to the codec you should render in, I would suggest something in the Quicktime suite. (quicktime is pretty stable for posting on-line, and embedding into webpages) I believe the H.363 codec works well. (and is more stable with most software packages than H.364)