Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.A.S.P.

I thought I'd use this space to post some updates on my latest project...

I'm new here, obviously, so I thought I'd give you some back story.
I've been modelling with Cinema 4D for about a year now, I chose Cinema 4D initially because it was the program that I stuck to and liked the feel of, although I realise now that it's not so widely used and I don't feel myself switching programs because of comfort.
Anyways, some of my work can be found here.

Anyway, so here's a quick sketch/colour I did of the design, I plan on re-drawing and neatening/adding stuff.

conceptdrawing2.jpg
Drawn: Macromedia Flash
Coloured: Photoshop 7

Any feedback/critic is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    From the title I was half expecting to see a White, Anglo, Saxon, Protestant.

If this was drawn in Flash then it should have been colored in flash. I would have cleaned up the drawing in flash using the line tool and a few others with snaps on. Then colored using gradients. As you are using it as a reference I am unsure why you even drew it in flash to begin with if you ultimately wanted to take it into photoshop.

Concepts are great to finalize but for this design if you are going to create it in 3d then just start making the 3d model.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    :X
    Concepts ARE important parts of the modelling process. They may not always be needed depending on the subject and how familiar one is with the subject, but still. Depending on your use, I'd go with one. Sorry Jec, have to disagree

The concept is kinda interesting, a mechanical wasp, but there isn't much flavor to it. It's got some cool pipes and stuff, and fire, and a WWII mask for a head :P, but I kinda feel like it needs something else. Even something as small as maybe some exhaust vents might add something to it? However, I'm really not sure if you want critique on your concept, model, or both.

Either way, it's a cool idea, but I feel you can do more with it
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't saying a concept is a bad thing or that he shouldn't use it. I just don't see enough detail in the initial idea to warrant spending more time on this concept. Like I said "Concepts are great to finalize but for this design."

I just think for the use of starting and finishing this model you don't really need to take the concept further. All of those little ideas can come later in the model and texture.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    Oh! I totally misread what you said. I took it to mean when you said finalize/start, you were referring to the model itself. Sorry about that Jec frown.gif

In that case, I agree with Jec in both counts: 1) as i sorta said, the concept is a bit simple, 2) the other details can be developed in later
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I was hoping for a character model of Blackie Lawless.
    We Are Satans People! \m/

What is it for? Why is there no color scheme? What are those squiggly lines under the abdomen? What is that shape below the gun? Where are the wings? Rocket propelled legs on an otherwise winged insect? Does it steer with its feet? Is that even a leg? Are you missing two rear legs? The details in the concept are bland, undefined and not well thought out. Keep it simple, yet functional, with a bit of style. Try a few more and pick the best one. Try sketching, in something that isn't Flash, or do vectors in Flash.

C4D isn't widely used here because of its lack of features for game artists.

I still disagree with you both. If he starts modeling from this terrible concept draft, the result will be a terrible model. The best idea is to keep concepting, until you find something that is great and provides most finalized details for each main segment, so no time is wasted in 3D dealing with trial and error like "hmm, what is this rectangle suppose to be?"

Welcome to polycount.
  • Liam Brocklehurst
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

As I said, this was a quick sketch, probably about 5-10 minutes in Flash, 5 minutes in Photoshop, I've been searching for an idea to go into 3D for a long time and this came into my head, so I had to get it down.
    I said also, that I'm going to re-draw it anyways, most of the outline black lines won't be there because I'll be getting rid of them in Photoshop, I just like to use Flash as a drawing program.

Thought I'd just post a sketch here for you guys, so you could tell me what I could add to it/take away from it to make it look better.

Oh yeah, my initial idea was to have wings on it, but I wasn't sure that would stay with the whole mechinal idea, so I tried the rockets on the feet, but looking at it again, I think I maygo for the wings again...
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I'm with ElysiumGX on this one. A buzzsaw codpiece would definitely make it smile.gif

So yeah, crits: Not a bad basic idea, but I think you need to refine the concept a bit more.
    It's not very clear at the moment - Is it a robot or a spaceship?
    It might just be me, but I found the concept a bit hard to read - I initially thought the abdomen was the head!
    Painting it up would probably help with readability. The all-grey look is a bit bland. Maybe some black/yellow "hazard" stripes on the abdomen?
    Also, the big-ass gatling gun looks a bit unwieldy. Wouldn't having something that big & heavy bolted on send the airborne wasp into a nose-dive? Gravity & all...
  • Liam Brocklehurst
    I had a go, and re-drew it. This time with no massive machine gun, no booster feet and wings instead, I added in some background legs and some antennas.

Bare in mine, this is the solid colour version, just for the colour, so I can add some detail on to it. I just thought I'd show you this stage, so that I can get some feedback on the colours because I'm not so good with the graphics on my models.
    conceptdrawing3_both.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the lack of metal in your work disappoints me

WASP%20pic.JPG
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    No gir. I think the more classic pose would be even better.

Codpiece.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    1196610675_l.jpg

tight leather girls outfits have never looked so sexy on a man...