Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some Interior Scenes (Crits Wanted!)

Dread_Reaper
polygon
Offline / Send Message
Dread_Reaper polygon
Here are a few indoor scenes I have been working on lately, mostly for school. The first is this indoor warehouse scene:

WarehouseText.jpg

The second is a weapon rack:

WeaponRack.jpg

I will add more as I complete them, but for the time being, I would like some advice on how to improve.

-Dread_Reaper

Replies

• Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    maybe it's just my monitor, but it's hard to give crits when everything is so dark frown.gif
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambient tone is too dark imho.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too dark, and the weapon rack floor and walls are annoying. change them to a nicer bg the next time u post.
    cheers
  • Dread_Reaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dread_Reaper polygon
    Hmmm.... nothing looks really dark on my computer.... but I'll see what I can do. Please hold while I try that suggestion.

-Dread_Reaper
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Its good stuff but nothing "jaw-dropping".
    The first thing that U should think of are a details. Add more details, 'cos textures atm are a bit boring.
    Play more with colors. And then put your hands on light subject and test with various setups, first of course U need to catch an idea what colors and lights U want, then just move,render,move render till U will feel its fine enough. So far lack of detail on textures and light are the biggest minuses. Modelling looks nice, but without wires its hard to say something more.
    keep it up wink.gif Practice is a key to succed.
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    id like the crates to look more like these
    woodCrate007Sample.JPG

holmes%20mann%20packing%20cases_crop%20copy.gif

just my opinion
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st image:
    So you're working on getting more textures in the scene besides 3? Boxes and cylinders no longer constitute good clutter since most engines have made the jump to 3D. 22 polys per object, sounds like a waste honestly. With 22 polys you could do quite a lot of things besides boxes and cylinders. I think you have way too many lights in the scene, the shadows are all over the place. Why the double light fixtures when one set would do nicely. You're robbing the scene of shadows and dark areas. Is this a storeroom or a brightly lit office work space? Know your environment and light it appropriately.

Instead of boxes and cylinders think of actual junk that would be down there. Old chairs, a banged up desk, pipes (even tho they are as cliche as boxes and cylinders). How about a nice little caged off area with dangerous looking pipes? How about a furnace, a water heater, a boiler, old computer equipment, server cages, hoses, cables... hello is this thing on? /tap /tap /changes batteries in mic

Hint at a larger area than what the player can explore. If the player is in a tight place and can see everything they will feel safe, confident and cocky. Put them in an area that is has dark areas, and is fairly large they'll feel naked. Your scene straddles the fence, you need to choose. Stereotypical storeroom, like the title suggests, or tight and bright safe area?

2nd image:
    Why have sides on the weapon rack if it isn't going to hold weapons? It seems pretty complex for only holding 5-6 weapons. Why isn't there a way to secure the weapons? What do they do when it's bring your kid to work day? It seems portable and it seems like it has a lot of protection for when it gets moved but the weapons are just resting there?
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Totally agreed with what Vig said, in addition to that I think it could use a lot more color variation, and there's some nasty stretching and a seam on your cylinders. Warehouses aren't usually clean, even in newer buildings, at the very least they're dusty. If you were to put in pipes or a furnace as Vig suggested, you could add some drip marks and discoloration to the walls and surrounding floor.

Overall, the walls and floor could use a lot more color variation, dirt, and wear and tear, scratches on the floor where things have been moved in and out, and the ceiling texture appears to be some sort of brick, I'd stick with a stucco/concrete, corrugated metal, ceiling tiles, something like that. Grabbing some ref of warehouses/storerooms will help a lot to give you ideas for details.
    You have a good starting point, more dynamic lighting, more/different props, and better textures will push it to the next level. Keep it up! smile.gif