Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warrior WIP

My first attempt at modeling anything organic. The design is pretty much winged, concept art is limited to a few armor sketches. I suck at drawing and I don't feel motivated to improve it.

There's a whole story behind the two models, but who cares?

Looking for crits on poly flow.

gal_render1.jpg

I'll probably remodel the head, not quite satisfied with it.

In the end, I'll put it into Jedi Academy (old stuff, I know, but the only one I'm modding for right now) and maybe create a higher detail version of the armors for Oblivion.

EDIT: While I'm at it, gonna fix the smoothing groups as well.

Replies

• DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    little warning for you :x
    Drawing and concepts really are a very important part of great modelling and art. Not that I'm a great concept artist of these forums, I still make doodles and somewhat decent drawings of a lot of things I think of...even it's just a basic outline and key points. A concept will produce a better structure model than doing it from your head; you'll lose your design and focus otherwise.

with that being said and back to what I said about a warning, blatantly stating that you don't care enough to produce your concept might annoy some people, and keep others from posting all together. It might show that you really don't care about your project, and that you just want people to pat you on the back and say "good job!" I don't mean this in any kind of negative way, I just don't want to see you or others being rubbed the wrong way

Now, with that out of the way, don't say your story behind the characters don't matter, it only enhances your art :P. People can choose to, or choose not to read your story behind the character. Give it a headline in the thread so people can do that smile.gif

Also I'm somewhat familiar with jedi academy and the other games, and from what I see your model is kind of generic, is that what you were going for? I know you said you were sticking to strict armor choices and everything, but even with the wings (or rather bones) it's still a little bit bland and generic.

Might want to consider changing up the design a bit and adding some flavor to him
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    If you're planning on rigging it, you'll probably want to model the wings outstretched - much more room for weighting, etc.
  • Jose Carlos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revan: I do sketch a little, I have about a dozen doodles for any inanimate object I've made. But when it comes to anything organic, I'm boned. The proportions are always way off. Every now and then I try to whip something up and I'm slowly getting better.

As for the design, not really going for a generic look. My options are limited though, cause the game only allows for 1000 vertices per object. I'll have to place most of the detail in the textures.

Sectaurs: I wish I could animate them, but then I'd have to re-do 21 000 frames of animation. Slowly learning how to do that but until then I'll have to make do with what I've got.

I'll update in a while, replacing the wings and sketching some armor for the same model's forearms.

And because people asked, here's the story:

The guy on the left is called Galar. He's your normal, everyday son of a nobleman bored out of his mind.

He comes upon a ring that holds the imprisoned essence of a fallen god named Osiris. Over time, the god starts to push Galar's mind aside and take control of their body for a while, transforming it to look more like his own.

That's where the guy on the right comes in. That's the body transformed. The wings are meant to symbolize the god's status and are thus unusable.

At first I thought I'd make a pair of dark, tattered angel wings, but that didn't turn out too well. Maybe I'll try it again.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Options limited? you could have a 10k character in JA, just break up your geometry and it'll be fine...annoying but possible.

So far i have yet to see someone crazy enough to re-animate the 21 000 frames. Of course you could recompile the .GLA using the animation toolset but i'm not sure it would support extra bones for the wings frown.gif.
  • Jose Carlos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Call me crazy but at one point I did consider concentrating on animating and then creating a new JKA skeleton that has bones for capes, wings and such.

As for the limit, I recall a 32 object maximum, so that's up to 32000 vertices. I probably won't need that much but if I do decide to go for a relatively high-poly model, I'll also revamp the design. If I do, it'll take a while, cause I won't start before I have a good sketch to start from.

Anyway, updates. Tried some different wing designs.

gal_render2.jpg

I'm torn between the first and third, the middle one needs refining if it is to look good. Another idea I had was to have a design similar to the first one, but with some spikes pointing up, rather than all down.