Home General Discussion

E3 '07

Replies

• Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I was completely for the 360 until looking at the E3 stuff thats been shown, Killzone especially. Now I'm on the fence. I have a 360 handy btw, but I don't own it so I'll be buying a new console when I move. I think the 360 has a few more exclusives, but how much I think I would enjoy the exclusives on either console will be the main factor to take into account for me.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    But Uncharted looks more fun than anything else coming out this year, so I'd say Sony still has an edge.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    But Uncharted looks more fun than anything else coming out this year, so I'd say Sony still has an edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your the first person I've heard say that, so they only have that edge for you. wink.gif

Looks like a great game, but MS has a stronger line-up for the holidays in general. Sony's got some cool stuff on the horizon, but if you're gonna get one get the 360, it's got all the big stuff coming out these holidays. (Except UT3, which will be out for it shortly after).

Oh, Haze isn't PS3 exclusive, it's coming out on 360 after.

From your list Asmuel, the only one that you will only be able to get this holiday on the PS3 is Lair. 360's exclusives for the near future are Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, GTA4 exclusive content. Dunno if that helps, but it should give you a bit of a better idea of what system's got what. smile.gif

Oh, and Vassago, I put it for the games that are actually exclusives, not for which ones are actually worth it. wink.gif
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea cheers Tulk. I'm not sure what holidays your reffering to (xmas?), but I'm a very patient person when it comes to waiting for games generally. I didn't bother with a PS2 and waited for Xbox (took forever), but it was worth it. I already won the cash for a 360 from a game art comp last year and its still in the bank, so I'll probably wait a little longer to see how the consoles stack up with decent games on both and then make a decision. I agree 360 owners have more to look forward to in the near future smile.gif. GTA4 and Mass effect may be enough to make me pick up a 360.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NP Asmuel. smile.gif

And yea, by Holidays I basically mean until the end of 2007. smile.gif And of course there's always the option of getting both. smile.gif I got the 360 now because I know that it's worth it, with the games already out and the line up about to come out it was a sure investment, but I figure that if in a year down the road the PS3 has proven itself I can always pick one up, as I can easily save up the money by then. smile.gif

Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea both would be gr8 smile.gif, maybe I should look for a flatmate with whatever I don't have lol crazy.gif

Edit: Post #300 'ding ding ding ding ding'
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    as an european I have moved my wii into the closet and will start planning my wonderful future with the 360 and ps3,..

haha.. it's so sad, just add six months to each wii title and you have your european release frown.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Agreed, i still only have 4 games to the wii....i might sell mine no decent titles available appart from wii sports and the zelda...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    But what the hell, we'll be doing dance aerobics!! who needs anything else?..
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Metroid3 actually looks really good for Wii. Check out the second video of the three...the other two are kinda lame.
    http://www.n4g.com/News-51420.aspx
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, it does look pretty cool in that vid Miles. Up until now every time I've seen the new Metroid it's looked kinda crappy, but that video has got me interested.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Really a letdown on Nintendo's part this year, but that might be because they showed just about every game they're going to release the coming three years on last year's E3. And now they're not hyping them anymore, but new, yet less 'veteran' games instead. I'd imagine that with Metroid's new ability to aim at any time, it might just be enough like an FPS to actually attract the FPS audience to it and see the light that is the Metroid series. The series has a great combination between intense battles and puzzle solving and has a unique art flavour that's only improving with later iterations. Yet it's not hyped nearly as much as FPS number 46 on the PS3 or XBox.

Call me a delusional fanboy, but I think that while Sony's presentation last year just wasn't great at all because they had nothing great, Nintendo's presentation this year isn't great because it's wasted potential. Wii Fit and Brain Training and all are great to attract new audiences, but it's just the kind of audience that doesn't have a clue what the E3 is. Rather than trying to steal PS3/Xbox360 customers, they figured the fans would go for the Mario and Metroid games anyway and the potential is on the outside... which is interesting and might be true, but the mentality is lacking any competitive spirit whatsoever.

/rant.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The real killer for Nintendo was that they didn't have any really cool 3rd party stuff to show. RE: Umbrella Chronicals? Ha, yeah... doesn't compare with the RE 5 trailer. They needed at least one really cool and innovative 3rd party title that was exclusive with an original IP. Why does Mario Galaxy look so much better graphics-wise than everythign else on the system?
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the press conferences I think G4TV hit it head on. Nintendo got 5/10, MS 7/10 and Sony 8/10. Sounds about right to me. smile.gif

And Ninjas... I actually thought Mario Galaxy looked pretty bad in the gameplay video I saw. Both gameplaywise and graphics it seemed fairly uninspired to me. Probably didn't help that the guy doing the walk through seemed bored out of his mind though. Thought Metroid looked significantly better than Mario.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I think you have a good point, ComradeJ...about most of the target audience for Wii Fit and Brain Age probably not even being informed of what E3 is. However, the flip side to that..is with this new target audience reading about Nintendo news...they catch wind of E3 and then become a part of it (perhaps next year). Sorta like what Nintendo is trying to make happen with gaming in general. (Pull in the new demographic and get them involved with the lifers). While Wii Fit is not on my list of what I want to throw $50 at...if it makes exercise fun for kids, seniors, or anyone else who doesn't like to exercise...then it is really a pretty cool idea. But I have to agree, I'd rather see sneak peaks of the next Zelda, Animal Crossing, and other things we haven't seen for the past year or so at an E3. Maybe next year, things will be rocking along much better from all three console developers. I expect Sony will have some nice stuff to show by next year. But honestly, at that price, I'd rather just put my money into upgrading my PC.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I think everyone is looking at the major conferences the wrong way. E3 isn't for the enthusiast gamers or the enthusiast press anymore. The new format for E3 is targeted much more squarely at the mainstream media. News outlets like USA Today, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, and Forbes. E3 is the only game-related conference that these news outlets regularly attend.

If you look at these as the target audiences, the performance of the press conferences does a complete 180. Sony did almost nothing to appeal to the mainstream media, while Nintendo went out of their way to show news-worthy material. No one from Time magazine is going to run an article on Killzone 2, unless its negatively tainted by the current stigma toward video game violence. But you could easily see an artilce on Wii Fit show up. Forbes has already released an article that strongly criticizes Sony's conference, while holding Nintendo up as an example to be emulated.

From an enthusiast perspective, Sony conference was clearly superior. But the enthusiast press and gamers can be reached anytime. You don't need a live conference to speak to them. These shows were intended for the mainstream press.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i feel that gamers and enthusiasts know their gamespots and igns...... the media knows the E3 and TGS..... hence, e3 and tgs are opportunities to attract non-gamers [god forbid any exist lol] into the thriving gaming world...
    just my thoughts on the topic.

dammit 1.5hrs until i get my next dose of e3 goodness fom g4tech.....
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I was overwhelmed by the amount of content made available on XBL Marketplace last night. Unfortunately I didn't have time to watch it yesterday, but I'm assuming it won't cover competitor presentations wink.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i feel that gamers and enthusiasts know their gamespots and igns...... the media knows the E3 and TGS..... hence, e3 and tgs are opportunities to attract non-gamers [god forbid any exist lol] into the thriving gaming world...
    just my thoughts on the topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been getting that impression as well. The "old" E3 was much more open to anyone determined enough to get in. So it really was a show for game enthusiasts and fans. But the big scale format made it harder for the corporations to reach and cater to the press. That's why they scrapped it. This new format for E3 is specifically to make it easier for the companies to get the press's attention. But what kind of content are major press outlets going to be interested in?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    want: Super Mario Galaxy, MGS4, Assassin's Creed, GH3, Rock Band, Resident Evil 5, Mass Effect. smile.gif

need: Wii, PS3, X-Box 360. frown.gif
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    hehe lol asherr you suck at next gen tongue.gif

anyonesaw the Halo 3 live commercial pretty good love the style of that director remember two shorts of his (but not his name aargh!...)
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Oh - that was for Halo? Looked like Aliens to me. crazy.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Neill Blomkamp is the director for Halo. He's got a bunch of very cool shorts on YouTube.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah that Halo live action thing was amazing. If the movie looked anything like that I would be excited as all hell.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hated the live action thing, especially the cardboard box armor the guy was wearing in the last shot. Thats just me though
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone see anything on the Escher-esque puzzle game Echochrome? It looks very fun.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21583.html
  • Bort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bort polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone see anything on the Escher-esque puzzle game Echochrome? It looks very fun.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21583.html

[/ QUOTE ]

http://tserve01.aid.design.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~fujiki/ole_coordinate_system/index.html

Echochrome seems to be based on this. PC demo with editor.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Don't suppose theres any word of a real Metroid game for the DS? I can't abide by this Z-axis bullshit.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goddamn Fable 2 is impressing me. Very interesting combat and death systems. It seems like Lionhead/Moloneaux are really trying to figure out how to make games better. It's a fairly long wait till Fable, but still. laugh.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since when has Molyneaux NOT been different? but yeah, all i've seen of it so far is an interview with gamespot... is there some other vid that you've seen Tulkamir? Fable 2 is gonna be one of those games that i get over-excited about.
    wait... i already am!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You bet I have. smile.gifhttp://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/741/741361/vids_1.html the first vid on that page is a demo of it all with Moloneaux chattin about it all. smile.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol!
    he's making one-button combat look great!

EDIT:
    "i don't want ppl to feel stupid! yeah, the blue button there."
    :yellow::yellow::yellow::yellow:
    "nono... the blue one!"
    "that's what i'm doing!" :yellow::yellow:
    "god dammit ur an arse! the BLUE one!"
    "i know! That's what im doing! if ur game was designed to react to my button presses maybe it'd work!!!" :yellow::yellow:
    "aarghhhh!"
    [this text has been adapted to fit the slightly bri-ish accent used]

lol, i could imagine that happening.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Here is the best review of our playable demo at E3.
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/804/804449p1.html
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Bah, Show us Condemned 2 damnit!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im soaking in all the Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect videos. Spacemonkey's working on that game right? wonder what all he made for it!

anyways... november is only a few months away.... well, its actually 6 months too many far away! argh!
  • Thegodzero
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bah, Show us Condemned 2 damnit!

[/ QUOTE ]
    I second that. Always nice to see Monolith getting their break nowadays.
    Need more Mass Effect... I can't believe I bought and read the prequel novel as a substitute to simply waiting for the game. Gave some nifty spoilers/backstory though.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Condemned 2... do want.

Didn't even know it was in production even though I thiiink I've heard something about it. I still need to finish the first one though... *craps pants*
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Has anyone else checked out Eye of Judgement? It's like MTG or Yugioh for the PS3. Looks very cool: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2643.html

teoj_leadin.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Although I'm not big on card games, the premise of EoJ is really amazing.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    there's no such thing as being "like MTG"... i wish someone would make a decent MTG computer game, i have so many actual cards, but here in MK no one plays.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I used to think card games were pretty lame/gay, but about a year and a half ago I played Magic for the first time and I got hooked. Like 20 decks later I was like fuck this, I'm paying too much money for pieces of paper (although I was a master at building decks for cheap).

I hope EOJ doesn't get me hooked again!