Home General Discussion

My first game has been officially announced!

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Odium do you actually work at Blur? I can't recall seeing you post anything that wasn't completely shitting on someone. If the work environment at Blur is like that I don't think I'd want to work there. Constructive Criticism is great and encouraged, but I don't think I've seen you ever offer anything close to it.

Congrats on having your game announced ebagg!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Congrats Ebagg! Looks like a fun game.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Odium do you actually work at Blur? I can't recall seeing you post anything that wasn't completely shitting on someone. If the work environment at Blur is like that I don't think I'd want to work there. Constructive Criticism is great and encouraged, but I don't think I've seen you ever offer anything close to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Team Blur, the quake mod team, not Blur Studios. Confusing, indeed.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    woohoo congrats .. game looks quirky
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Cool man, my little brothers love those games. They'll probably get this one too.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even that, I think it's a small independent team called 'Blur Games'.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Forgive me if I am unable to put honesty and bluntness aside in a congratulation thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive you for not being able to keep your mouth shut? Do you have Internet Tourette's or something? If we should feel sorry for you because you've got some debilitating handicap that causes you to shit on other people's happiness, you need to put a medical alert in your .sig file. Otherwise, no, you're not forgiven.

Typically, I'd continue this with a lengthy and extremely antagonist rant, but I feel there's no point; if you actually think it's okay to shit on someone's pride over a first time in the spotlight, even under the pretense of 'honesty', your remaining tenure here will be short-lived. Yeah, sure, you're about to tell me how you don't care what other polycounters say and you're going to go along posting however you like, but you'll get tired of talking to yourself soon enough and no one here will have to have his happy moment tarnished with your unsolicited review.

Just being blunt, mate. HTH, HAND.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "That venus man trap is the only attractive thing in the screenshot"
    "ebagg's contribution to the screenshot in question, I complimented it"
    "its certainly not ebagg's fault, the monster looks nice and stylish"
    "Your artwork was very nice;"
    "his stuff is definitely visually above lots of the other content."
    The issues I had were with the rest of the team; I've certainly given the most compliments to ebagg in this thread. If criticizing the appearance of games is suddenly off-limits to polycount, I was never told; apparently a couple dozen members posting in other threads were not as well.
    Why is everyone getting their panties in a bunch that a video game someone here is working on looks bad? My insult certainly was not aimed at him, I excluded him from it and complimented him repeatedly. I had no idea such a comment would cause such offense.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Giving crits to Polycounters in GD is a no-no. I know that you stated afterwards that you liked the critter Ebagg did, but your original post is why everyone is going off on you.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Get this through your head. It's just bad form. Not commenting about the game, but WHERE.

If somebody posts a thread saying "Check this out, my band just got signed on a major label!" You don't then say to him "man, your band sucks. I guess your drumming is good, but you don't deserve to be on a major label, because your crap sounds the same as all the other music out there"

Sure, it may be true, and your honest opinion, but there are specific venues for that sort of thing.

Criticism and critique are awesome, but not when it's out of place an unasked for.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    It wasn't constructive. But what would be the point of constructive criticism here?

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly! This thread wasn't started in P&P. I doubt Elliotte was looking for a critique (or have the game eviscerated) when he started the thread.

On the flip side, prof you're just the latest punching bag in PC'ers attempt to gain status. Sure you lacked tact and what you said was out of place but really this is what PC'ers live for.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Wow, I'm always amazed by how quickly threads turn into a complete shit show because of people talking out of their ass. Anyway, a well deserved congrats to ebagg. cheers buddy.

Gav
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah forget that noise.. make a cool game where aliens shoot the crap outta stuff! congrats- I'd like to work on it tongue.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Ebagg, and yeah I hope you guys ( those that acted less then professional ) will come to realize that if you have to pull your foot out of your mouth to comment...just keep it in there:)

Spark

P.S: I also had sent an email to Odium asking him if he worked at Blur, never got an answer, but I was glad to hear that Blur doesn't employ someone like that:)
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    P.S: I also had sent an email to Odium asking him if he worked at Blur, never got an answer, but I was glad to hear that Blur doesn't employ someone like that:)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever heard Tim Miller (Blur Studios' President) speak? He's the most outspoken/brash/cocky/rude (but almost always funny) guy you've ever talked to. Listening to him almost makes me envision an entire company of pricks just like him.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Giving crits to Polycounters in GD is a no-no. I know that you stated afterwards that you liked the critter Ebagg did, but your original post is why everyone is going off on you.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, I stated it in the first post, actually, but regardless. I wasn't fully aware of the social customs here at PC, so I defaulted to treat others how I want to be treated (if that gives you a further insight into the type of person I am). I will be more mindful in the future. Anyway, no point in derailing the thread further.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats on your first title fella smile.gif may it be the first of many! smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Professor420, your point of defense is horrible. Gee thanks for saying my work is great, but the rest of the team's work in those shots is shitty. In person, would you give me a high five then punch my friends? Games are a group effort, and you complimenting me between saying my coworkers' (who are an awesome group of folks by the way) art is crap does not help your point.

Both you and Odium need to know that being an ass on a forum centered around an industry as tightly knit as ours will only be shooting yourself in the foot when you try to get a job.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Professor420, your point of defense is horrible. Gee thanks for saying my work is great, but the rest of the team's work in those shots is shitty. In person, would you give me a high five then punch my friends? Games are a group effort, and you complimenting me between saying my coworkers' (who are an awesome group of folks by the way) art is crap does not help your point.

Both you and Odium need to know that being an ass on a forum centered around an industry as tightly knit as ours will only be shooting yourself in the foot when you try to get a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put Sir. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work Ebagg, congrats on a first title. I really dig the golden dragon in this shot, http://medialib.oxm.co.uk/screens/screenshot_1173.jpg Give whoever did that a kudo for me please. :-)

poop.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Ebagg. The idea behind this game fulfills many childhood fantasies. I heard the original game was designed as a joke, and that makes it even more fun. I also heard there is a Wii version of 3 in the making. I'll pick that up.

I love the style of this game, and I think the 360 version improves it over the previous releases. Not so much the technical rendering of each asset, but the overall aesthetic. A word odium and professor420 may need a dictionary to understand. The use of shaders and effects is subtle at times, but it works well. I look at this game, and know it's fun to play. With today's "next-gen" titles (the current generation releases of next generation titles...yeah, it does sound very stupid to hear noobs use buzzwords like this) such as Gears of War and Killzone marketing the "awesome processing power" of current consoles hoping for increased sales...it's good to see games created for the consoles that actually depict a fun, satisfying experience...regardless of how many assets were created.

So congrats. And don't let a couple of arrogant pricks on a forum get you down. My first game will forever haunt me it seems. But it was an experience. I hope one day I get to work on a game this fun. I love the Humantrap! XD
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot! congrats Ebagg!

I'm sure you feel the same way i first felt with my first game. There will be many more to come. smile.gif
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Gee thanks for saying my work is great, but the rest of the team's work in those shots is shitty. In person, would you give me a high five then punch my friends?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, I'm not that callous. Like I said, if I thought the art you did was bad, I wouldn't have said anything, especially something unconstructive as I said. The same would be true if the rest of your team were on the forum and in the thread. I certainly did not expect the response and offense taken at the comment, or I would not have said it; I certainly saw how Odium's comments were received and I did not consider what I said would be taken the same way. I meant what I said, but had I known how it'd be received, I probably wouldn't have said anything at all.

[ QUOTE ]
    Games are a group effort, and you complimenting me between saying my coworkers' (who are an awesome group of folks by the way) art is crap does not help your point.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What was my point? You don't have to answer, but I'm not sure I had one in the first place, at least one that would benefit or be detracted from insulting your coworkers. What I said was an observation, one if I received I would not have minded and probably would have been complimented by it; I certainly had no greater point or motive behind it, I didn't mean to cause such an outpouring of hostility, I didn't mean to cause anything, quite honestly; I'm not sure what "point" you are referring to.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well I guess that's the second thing I learned from this thread. Thanks.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg, are u permitted to post shots of specifically your works? i like the art in the game as a whole, [luv that ufo in the previous page for example], so don't take it the wrong way. i just want to see waht u made in particular, rather than see what others on the team made for the game which contains your artwork. no offense to the team, but i think, on polycount, u matter more than the rest of the team, cuz ur the polycounter.

post some screenies when u can!

and [i know i already said it, but even still:] congratulations!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I don't think I can until the game is released, then I will have a thread when I put up a new portfolio page.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Yay! Awesome job. You never do forget your first. I bet you'll remember the assets you created for this one years and years from now. Not to mention seeing it on a store shelf, playing it on a tv that's not on your desk, etc. Fun times.
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    Lol, Odium, Prof420 you both define douchebaggery. You can't even muster up an apology for bashing the ONLY time someone will announce their first shipping title. Instead you defend yourself for coming under attack. It's rediculous that you can't see how big of a douche you are being. I can't think of anything that says "I'm an ass" more. Both of you please go get some class and learn how to be happy for someone even if it means holding your tongue.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    retleks, either your a stupid dolt, or you cant read. I'm betting both.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great Ebagg, I love the style this game has even if a few think everything on the 360 has to look photo realistic. Looks very fun.

Alex
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    retleks, either your a stupid dolt, or you cant read. I'm betting both.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What does it take to get this shitheel banned?

odium, considering the fact that the only artwork you've posted was a 1024x1024 eyeball texture in the "what are you working on page" where you were proud of "not following a tutorial" I really think you need to shut up about other people's work.

I'm not sure what retleks was suppose to read, was it "Christ people, get a clue." "I mean please, tell me this is a miss-labeled PS2 screen and not a 360 screen? Because if it is... Well... Waste of time..."
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    How about the fact he said I dont have the balls to say sorry, yet I already have?

Jesus, you seem a tad upset for a nobody.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a note to mods, i hope u don't lock this thread. and no, not because i want to see the gore, but for the sake of ebagg posting his work here later on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats again!

I remember the first time I saw my first title in the store. My wife and I where in EB and she picked up a box and said "hey isn't this the game you just finished?" I was shocked. Mostly because EB had a PC only adventure game in a noticeable spot and because it was so weird seeing my art, on a box, in a store, in the mall.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol @Vig. it must feel great. but, you know what i actually did once: [i luv sharing stories] i'd taken 2 kellogs boxes, drawn some doodles on 'em, and put them in one of the PC game sections in a danish mall [somewhere in City2]. That was the first time i saw my art on a box in a store in the malls! but seriously speaking, i was in the 4th grade i think...... so its okay to be stupid... right?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Congratulations, Ebagg! Good for you, man.

[ QUOTE ]
    Jesus, you seem a tad upset for a nobody.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What is that supposed to mean? Who the fuck are you? Posh Spice? Are there celebrities on Polycount? Here I thought it was just a bunch of computer nerds.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Being a new moderator, I was looking for how to ban Odium from posting a comment within polycount. But I stopped myself, and realized that he will continue to spout hate, and rude comments and make more people aware of him. And in doing so, he would just keep making it harder to get into our into our industry. Which just makes me smile:), and Odium.. now I think you owe a few more people an apology:P

Spark
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    K guys, lets hug it out.

The topic of the thread: Ebaggs first shipped title, not "So & So Are Douchebags".

Can we go ahead and all agree to stop posting about who said what and how uncalled for it was?

Please?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    First of all, much congrats on your first released game, ebagg. I'm sorry your thread had to degrade to this nonsense.

Second, enough. If you want to say congrats to ebagg for his first released title, go right ahead. Other than that, let it go. Let's put an end to the personal attacks, name-calling and other childlike playground behavior in this thread. If you want to carry on a discussion about how to behave, at the very least, take it to Daz's thread about civility or talk amongst yourself in private messages, instant messengers or email and leave it out of this thread entirely, please.

No one is getting banned for having an opinion about something; everyone is entitled to an opinion but learning when and where that opinion is warranted is a skill that seems to need some work.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats! Can't wait to play it!
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Congrats ebagg! grin.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Congats ebagg,may it be the first of many....not go and have a cold beer to celebrate.....but only 1 though,you got the big celebration to come on release smile.gif.

John
  • mikebart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats man, looks like alot of fun smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Haha thanks again folks!

Here's the official website- http://www.destroyallhumansgame.com/

"Path of the Furon" is the one I worked on, for xbox 360 and PS3, and Big Willy Unleashed is the other DAH title (different storyline, characters, etc etc) for PS2, PSP and Wii.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats ebagg, my first was a huge deal in my gaming career, I often reminisce about it with the people involved, even though it got hacked to pieces from time to time.

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18