Home General Discussion

My first game has been officially announced!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
Destroy All Humans 3 for PS3 and Xbox 360! Been working on the characters and props for this game for nearly a year now , I don't think the screenshots portray anywhere near as well as seeing it in action. Check out one of the first previews here:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=732

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    congrats! make sure you post your assets in P&P when you can! The lazer-blast building destruction looks awesome.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Hey! Grats Man! Awesome to finally know what you've been working on all this time. Will have to hit you up on msn sometime for proper congrats.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hey ebagg, I've been workin on that too wink.gif although, from different places.

BTW, according to the magical interwebs, its also coming out on the wii and psp.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSzzzzzzSSS1111!!!

seriously though, how does it feel? i hope to post that exact same message title on these boards a few years from now....
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    hey ebagg, I've been workin on that too wink.gif although, from different places.

BTW, according to the magical interwebs, its also coming out on the wii and psp.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two separate games being made, one is the Wii, PSP, and PS2 and the other is ours, for PS3 and Xbox360. Each has a different storyline and features. Which did you work on? There is quite a bit of outsourced assets in ours but you could be working for the other "DAH3"...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    to be honest, I have no clue... smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSzzzzzzSSS1111!!!

seriously though, how does it feel? i hope to post that exact same message title on these boards a few years from now....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm geeking out over seeing some of the assets I made in an official game preview (I made the Venus Human Trap). Very very exciting, and the first of many titles in my career I am sure...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks ok visually , but i heard good stuff about the last titles gameplay , lets hope this gets the same wink.gif

congrats ebagg !
  • Mark Dygert
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats. I just shared this info with my bro since he's a fan of this series. I may pick this one up if he gives it a good review smile.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    About time! Congrats, and as i said to you before lets hope it sells a few million! Red could always get an early start on his school fund.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Finally announced! CONGRATS!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats man! I too can join in your happiness of having a first title recently announced. Its a good feeling.
    May you have many more to come!

-caseyjones
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    While I'm looking forward to it, I have to say...

It looks like complete and utter dog shit. Its one of the worst looking "next gen" games around. It may as well be a direct port of the PS2 version the graphics are that poor...

That said well done...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I mean please, tell me this is a miss-labeled PS2 screen and not a 360 screen? Because if it is... Well... Waste of time...

screenshot_1177.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    While I'm looking forward to it, I have to say...

It looks like complete and utter dog shit. Its one of the worst looking "next gen" games around. It may as well be a direct port of the PS2 version the graphics are that poor...

That said well done...

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, you're an ass.

Nice one, ebagg! smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    odium... did you have to pick the one asset that ebagg said he himself made to showcase your views of why you think the game looks bad?

fuck you odium smile.gif please go away. (from the forums. forever)
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    So, what makes a 'next gen' game then?
    Please don't tell me it needs to have normal maps or it doesn't qualify.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm putting a vote in with 'quit internet, odium'
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see shaders galore in those screenshots, but thats besides the point its quite uncalled for to talk trash about someone elses art in an unfinished state. remember E3 is all about showing off early iterations of games before they get the final polish. I'm sure that it will all get sorted out before the game comes out.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks pretty good actually. Sure, if you want Gears of War it's not visually going to satisfy, but then, it's not aiming to be Gears of War.

For a cartoon style game the engine looks pretty sweet - nice lighting, impressive level of damage on that car in the shot posted, and a good amount of particles being thrown around too. Looks like fun, which is the important thing.
    The Human Trap fits into the DAH world perfectly well, and you work with what you're given, so nice job ebagg (I've done a lot worse in my time). Looks a lot like Audrey II from LSOH .

Odium, why not enlighten us and give some constructive critisism as to what you think makes it look last gen? Or are the things I listed above, plus the crispness of the textures and the lack of jaggies not sufficient improvements on the previosu games in the series?
    You have seen the previous games in the series right?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome..the first two were fun as hell....I'm sure you had a blast working on it....Did you learn alot?

Didnt Pandemic work on the first two?
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Didnt Pandemic work on the first two?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The game looks like crap for a 360 game.

That venus man trap is the only attractive thing in the screenshot smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    aw come one guys, maybe it's fun? *sets odium's status to ignore* Ignorance is bliss.

congratulations on your first shipped title, very elusive indeed
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    Odium and Professor420 until either of you have a game your getting paid to work on your not qualified to go for the throat like that ,also it does not bode well to insult fellow game artists. This industry is about 85% who you know. Odium your work the little I have seen is extremly amature so your not even close to being able to judge..and professor420 your work is VERY mediocre at best I would not be talking .

Congrates Ebagg !
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy, it kinda weakens your point to demean their art, doesn't it?

I think the screenshot posted here looks good. More than enough texture detail on the ground for me to be content, neat sense of style, etc -- I'll buy the game. I always wanted to play a Destroy All Humans game but never ended up picking any of the previous ones up.
  • McIlroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McIlroy polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    McIlroy, it kinda weakens your point to demean their art, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is Judge not least ye be judged yourself . I don't go around putting myself on a pedastel . I don't say anything unless I have something nice or consructive to say . Saying someones art is shit is just being an asshole .
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    congrats ebagg, I still remember that buzz I felt about my first shipped title. May it be the first of many!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, my first game was just showed too!! My Marathon for XBLA was shown at the Microsoft press conference just a few minutes ago. Congrats Ebagg!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Odium and Professor420 until either of you have a game your getting paid to work on your not qualified to go for the throat like that ,also it does not bode well to insult fellow game artists.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Interesting opinion. We have an entire thread currently going on that basically is bashing how crappy a game is looking: http://72.232.179.131:8003/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=219764&an=0&page=0#Post219764

I suppose your next stop will be to put a stop to that.

The screenshot, with the exception of the venus man trap, looks like shit. There is no coherent style, there is no context, there are piss poor shaders and rendering.

Be careful when you make assumptions about what people say and mean. I could have been more precise in what I said, but why? In the thread's context, that is, ebagg's contribution to the screenshot in question, I complimented it; the rest of the screenshot is crap, for the reasons I've already said and can elaborate on if you so wish. If anything, this probably speaks more about the graphics programmers than the artists, and it may not be the graphics programmers fault (they could have gotten shitty code, maybe there are not enough, etc.), but something is wrong with the screenshot; however, its certainly not ebagg's fault, the monster looks nice and stylish, and that's all that mattered in this thread's context.

And seriously, cut the 'thou shalt not judge' crap. Its what we do every day as artists. There are some works from the Old Masters I don't like; just because I can't sculpt marble, I shouldn't have an opinion? That's absurd, the whole 'don't judge' argument is absurd. Could I have been constructive? Yes, but what's the point; if the graphics engineers for DAH3 are visiting polycount, if they are presenting themselves and pimping their work, sure, but it was irrelevant for ebagg as I have no crits for his work.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    wow yeah i mean i have said some fucked up shit but Odium dude what the hell. So what if this isn't gears of war. Hell I had a blast playing Worms on my 360 today with my cousin. It's fun as hell and isn't "next gen".

This dude was just saying he got his first shipped title and thats awesome to get to that point. Can you say that? Who cares if it's a can't stay on the shelves blockbuster. It's a huge accomplishment to reach that point and to see all the hard work finally come to life.

Man oh man seriously take a step back and read what you wrote you asshole.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa, missed this. Grats ebagg, must feel pretty damn cool eh?

I've heard a lot of good things about the series, but haven't ever played one. That may change now that I have a 360.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    odium @ prof420: there's a time and place for those sort of comments. whether or not your comments are warrented is subjective, but this is neither the time nor the place. This is about ebaggs first released title - which is a bloody fantastic thing to celebrate.

So lets here it for our fellow Polycounter living out his dream and FINALLY working on something that has been announced. Good job so far ebagg. I've been working in-house now for nearly 2 years and can't announce any of the 4 projects I've been involved with. It's frustrating, so I imagine you've a sense of relief from this cat finally being let out of the bag.

Can someone post pics in this thread for me? I can't load the page, it makes my shitty computer hard crash for some reason. The one I saw looks like its done in vein of the other 2 which is a fantastic thing.

It doesn't have to be a swank looking game to be on the 360.

Let's have it then.. pics please!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Heres a few, Brome

screenshot_1175.jpg
    screenshot_1174.jpg
    screenshot_1173.jpg
    screenshot_1171.jpg

Tell me what ya think..

As for Odium and Professor420's comments, well you are entitled to your opinions, I won't argue against that. I think you two lack tact, if you consider saying a game's graphics as fugly as a constructive critique, that only demonstrates your ignorance. A few things you two aren't taking into account are;
    -as I said previously, the game looks better in motion. You cannot always fully appreciate a game without seeing it in action.
    -those are pre-alpha screenshots, plenty of tweaks are being made on a daily basis to the look of the game.
    -the game will never beat Gears of War, it is an open-world game, not just in the same sense as Oblivion even, in this game you switch between on-foot and flying saucer action high above the streets, and thus assets for this game are spread thin as to accomodate huge views of the massive levels.

Thanks for all the kind words folks, I definitely recommend it as a fun game, its a fun game that really builds a bunchof new gameplay and storyline on the PS2/xbox titles.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "if you consider saying a game's graphics as fugly as a constructive critique, that only demonstrates your ignorance."
    It wasn't constructive. But what would be the point of constructive criticism here? Your artwork was very nice; the rest, is not. If you are going to pass a critique on to your shader writers, sure, I'll be constructive, but until then, I'll observe and opine instead.

"the game will never beat Gears of War"
    The XBOX/PS2 levels look better, the characters on 3 are better though. There are some pretty egregious art issues, IMO, and presentation is important; if its too early, don't release screens, if that's how the game looks, deal with it. Has nothing to do with you personally but its a fact of life.

What the hell is going on here? Shitty looking games (DAH1 was fun as hell for sure) are taken to town pretty regularly; I suppose, its alright to trash a game as long as no one is part of the team who made it is on these forums? I even congratulated the polycount member as his stuff is definitely visually above lots of the other content.

Forgive me if I am unable to put honesty and bluntness aside in a congratulation thread, I certainly did not intend it to be taken as an insult by ebagg, seeing as I didn't even insult him. I even used a freakin emoticon.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "if its too early, don't release screens"
    hahahaha Your talking about E3 and not releasing screen shots of a AAA game title when it should be out before next the E3? That is madness!
    In this industry if you have anything that you can take a screen shot of you bet your ass your going to show it.

Its far better to show early beta shots of a game than to not show or say anything. Because even if it looks like ass people will remember it,and later when you show something better looking they will be wowed.

Wait for the game to come out then once its on DVD you can crit all you want because then its what was ment to be seen by players.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think professor, its more just a problem with the fact that bashing a game's art don't really belong in a thread where someone has just happily announced that the first game he's worked on has just been announced. It's like being at your wife's 40th birthday party and going on and on about how old she looks now and how the neighbor's wife is way hotter. Not really in good taste.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    I think everyone should lay off Professor420 he just expressed his opinion and with all you guys bashing him it wont cause anything but bad blood so lets not take this thread off-topic anymore stick to topic guys! anyways Congrats on your first title buddy i wish to be in your position one day! i have also heard alot of good things about the series i might just have to pick this one up to see what all the buzz is about.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats ebagg!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Why does everybody think you mean Gears Of War when you say it doesn't look next gen...?

Christ people, get a clue. The point I was making is that the game looks like it could easily run on a PS2... and does. Its an effortless port, and the PS2 version is the one thats had the most work gone into it.

Lets look at it more.

The draw distance? Awful. Even for a 360 drawing low poly stuff with fuzzy textures, its awful. The actual effects are bland as hell, it looks like a mod... Or a PS2 game. You have bare effects being hidden by lots of bloom? Why? You have a console with the power of the 360, yet you still only have four or five different human models, and the only reason they look different is because they are all blue. Or all green. What?

Its also got some of the most painfully bland building work since... Well... Spiderman. On PS2.

My point is, this is a 360 game. But its not. Its a game made by devs for PS2, where they did a damn fine job. Its probably gonna be great on PS2. But its been picked up by what looks like a group of two people, ported to 360, and then just left to rot with no real work done on it AT ALL. Sure, they can boast about how they had to code it again to get it working, or that certain things just were not possible on PS2 hardware...

But the simple fact is... It LOOKS like a port. Thats when the job is done bad. Not only that, but I just KNOW by looking at those shots there will be frame rate dips, where there is zero reason for there to be. I can tell because everything over 10 feet away is blurred/lodded out...

Alpha or not. New game or not. It doesn't hide the fact that there things are peoples, my, thoughts, and I can say them. I've seen some people here act like true cunts to people just for posting a simple render. Dont give me the high and mighty just because some guy got a job working at a games studio. I've been making DS and PSP games for about 2 years now, and I have never came here looking for a good sucking off. I wouldn't anyway at Polycount, its full of hypocrites.

The point is, the 360 is a beast of a machine. Anybody that pumps out a game akin to Dynasty/Samurai Warriors needs ot be punched in the face and sat down. There isn't an excuse for lazy ports any more. The power is there use it.

That said, the game will sell like mad anyway, because of the title. So who cares right? Why bother making something as good as it can be when the money will come anyway...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're saying they took the ps2 assets and clicked the 'make normal mapped art' button?

Plausible theory, touche.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty much. Aside from the lack of bloom, this screens hardly different. I cant see why you would need a whole team to port something:

http://www.gameplaymonthly.com/games/destroyallhumans/dah2.JPG
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What an incredible way to defeat your own argument, odium, that looks absolutely nothing like the screens posted above.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Fine, you can think that. I wouldn't want to tell you what you can or cant think wink.gif
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe I have been a bit too harsh, and for that I apologize. Congrats on getting the gig either way.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Congratz ebagg! smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    congrats ebagg, having your first title announced is awesome smile.gif hope you had a blast working on it.

oh and I laughed my ass off on the "if its too early, don't release screens" comment...man you obviously don't have a fucking clue how retarded marketing guys can be.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Well the thread went off topic, thus is to be expected on an internet forum. I'm not going to go in depth and defend the game I am working on, thread debates tend to be a waste of time. All I can say is its been a blast working on it, and the final product will be damn fun.

I didn't start this thread to have my ego stroked, although I appreciate the kind words. This forum has seen many people go from aspiring artists to seasoned pros, and I've always been inspired by the success of everyone. I'm just pumped to see my game finally getting press!