Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

pimping..... ME

StefanH
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
StefanH polycounter lvl 12
Hello Polycounters!

my first post here but i check out this forum regularly.
my name is Stefan Heinrich, I'm 25 years old and been doing CG for around 6 years now.
I've finally managed to put together a portfolio site and have just finished University so I'm looking for work. I have about 2 years professional experience already.
Would be nice if you have a look:

www.stefanheinrich.com

Cheers, Stefan

P.S.: I hope this is the right place for this kind of thread smile.gif haven't found anything better..

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Awesome stuff !! congrats man, you wont have any trouble finding jobs;)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Nice pieces. I'm not big on the gray backgrounds on the boxes, but that's not really what you're trying to present here. The work is most important, I think you have plenty of good pieces on display.
    My only other suggestion would be to seperate each piece onto it's own page, with it's textures, wires, etc. are all grouped together.
  • jgarland
    Hello, Stefan, and welcome to Polycount. smile.gif

Let me be the first to say that your sculpts are really, really awesome. There's tons of character in your busts, with a level of detail that you don't see very often.

If you're looking for feedback on the portfolio page itself (and not the work within it), I think you could work on the layout a bit. With all your pieces jumbled together, it can be hard to spot the ones that really shine. A potential employer should see your best work front and center as soon as they come to your page. That said, perhaps bigger thumbnails are in order. That could really go a long way as far as improving the readability of your site goes.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a job, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Keep up the good work, man. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty nice stuff. Looks like your highpoly modelling for environments is good, although I'm not sure about the specular map for that techy wall, looks a bit busy and not really matching the details in the diffuse/normal.
    The grass texture on the grassy environment seems scaled very large, looks quite weird.
    I like the details in your normal maps and overall texture consistency, good work smile.gif

Splash Damage are looking for environment artists at the moment in London, have you considered applying here? smile.gif
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    looks good Stephan! Best of luck in your search.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • EarthQuake
    http://www.stefanheinrich.com/pics/mob01.jpg
    This is fucking awesome dude. Very nicely done, great subtle shapes. Even down to the high freq. detail, that 99% of people screw up. Just great work.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm, I am one step away from saying that your stuff is awesome, but something bugs me about the heads. They are kind of overdone in the detail somehow.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    hey Sklavenberger=) welcum
    nice works, i like domwar2 entry
  • SkullboX
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, you might want to consider dividing character, environment and prop work as somebody already mentioned (do keep it on the same page though!)

Other than that you forgot a splash screen as well as putting a blog rather than your portfolio on the first page. Seriously though, props for putting your portfolio up as the first page you reach when visiting your site, this is a great feature. I wish everybody would do that.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    That's a top notch folio man, hope you get the job offers you deserve smile.gif
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    lots of cool stuff but your environments are much stronger than the characters i think you should focus on that
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    Hey wow smile.gif

didn't expected such a great response. Thanks alot everyone.

I had some talk about the presentation already but the simple thumbnail page is going to stay for now. I think the thumbs are big enough so you can click just like 3 characters if you are looking for a character artist and leave the rest out.

@mop
    i have made the experience that the metal really pops if you go crazy on the spec map. I'm always trying to accentuate some edges there, have lots of irregularity with some custom brushes and some lines of light (dont know a better word smile.gif ) along the pipes e.g.
    Thats my way of doing things atm but if it looks crappy in a particular engine or i find a better way I'm happy to change too.
    splash damage is definetively very interesting. I'm applying in two german companies first atm but they haven't got jobs atm that i fit the profile 100% so i give it a shot anyway and if that doesnt work out I'm out to englad or the USA most probably

@EarthQuake
    thx alot, I've tried for realism with this one. Seems it turned out alright ^^

@Ruz
    Mind to explain that further? always looking to improve

@warby
    Thx man. your environments are awesome. I'm actually very happy that you told me i should focus on environments. I've been always struggling what to do character or environments.
    I still don't know for sure but it's a great pointer for sure smile.gif
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Really good work Stefan, I actually went to it thinking that it would be ok work, but came away very suprised:) Something I might suggest is figuring out what you want to be, character or enviro and push more of that work to the top instead of here and there. Environment is in desperate need, especially one that can model/texture well, and think you would be a excellent one. I think checking in germany is a good thing, but there aren't as many companies to fall back on if things don't work out...though the food there is awesome! Good luck with your search, and looking forward to hearing what happens.

Spark
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Great work and i agree with warby your character work is good but not as great as your environmental stuff.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    re the character heads-
    yeah, its quite a subtle thing, almost that the detail is overpowering the major forms.